Non-motoring > It's chucking it down here Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 39

It's chucking it down here - Iffy
What better for us Brits to talk about than the weather.

After a long dry spell, it's raining hard in leafy, soon to be sodden, North Yorkshire.

The caravan has a pitched roof, but it's metal, so you still get that distinctive drumming sound as the water hits.

Lots of rain yesterday and overnight - the little river outside the front window has already risen a few inches.

Any rain where you are?

Will it be enough to get the garden growing again and banish talk of hosepipe bans?
 It's chucking it down here - smokie
My 150l water butt filled in about an hour in Berkshire on Friday. Had to empty it as it had moved and I couldn't get the watering can under it, but it re-filled again overnight.
 It's chucking it down here - Zero
My arid water butt is now 3/4 full, and the brown grass that passes for lawn is a little less brown.

Huge thunderstorm yesterday morning/

Hosepipe bans over? no - this a spit into an empty bath.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 8 May 11 at 11:43
 It's chucking it down here - Roger.
Not much rain here in the N.E. Midlands.
BTW we are not "Brits" - we are British!
 It's chucking it down here - Manatee
In the census I was British, but Mrs Dugong was English. I was surprised she didn't put "Yorkshire", TBH.
 It's chucking it down here - Clk Sec
My wife insists on being English; I'm quite happy with British, though.
 It's chucking it down here - BiggerBadderDave
Baking hot in Warsaw and I'm taking the kids for an ice cream. Woke up last Monday morning to an inch of snow though.
>> Baking hot in Warsaw and I'm taking the kids for an ice cream. Woke up
>> last Monday morning to an inch of snow though.

www.headandshoulders.co.uk/en-GB/index.jspx
...I'm quite happy with British...

Unusually for me, I was attempting to be inclusive by inviting posts from Wales and north of the border.

Rodge,

Only on an internet forum could the use of 'Brits' or 'British' matter.

And don't tell me, it's not Rodge, it's Roger.

It's chucking it down here - Harleyman
Rain last night in Carmarthen but sunny now, albeit with a brisk wind.
 It's chucking it down here - Fenlander
Ditto Cambs fens... it's washed the dust off my new drive/yard gravel overnight and now a nice bright day.
 It's chucking it down here - R.P.
Thanks iffy for being inclusive and should point out that the Welsh are the original British (or Brythoniaid) !

Hammered down here last night - very, very green this morning. Lovely day today.
 It's chucking it down here - Bigtee
After the thunder last night and some rain in Leeds the water buckets have started to fill up and the plants show some life.

Warm at the moment but some more rain would be nice.
 It's chucking it down here - R.P.
Just seen the UK weather forecast and it looks as if you might get your wish
 It's chucking it down here - Focusless
No rain in another bit of Berkshire on Friday, but wet on Saturday morning - went for a surprisingly pleasant run in the rain along the Kennet and Avon canal, and came back with the backs of my legs covered in muck. Rained quite a bit last night, but just about stayed dry today. Garden looks relieved.
 It's chucking it down here - Bromptonaut
In South Northants it started rainig at around 21:30 yesterday and continued between downpour & drizzle for most of the night. Now bright and breezy with sunny intervals. Lawn drying off nicely so in out wit the mower in a mo.
 It's chucking it down here - Clk Sec
>>Lawn drying off nicely so in out wit the mower in a mo.

Yes, the lawns will be heading north at a pace.
 It's chucking it down here - VxFan
Been waiting ages to put Evergreen feed and moss killer on the lawn. Finally did it yesterday now that we've had some rain.
 It's chucking it down here - Dave_
>> In South Northants it started raining at around 21:30 yesterday

That's about when I left mid Beds to come back up the M1 - it rained steadily from J13 all the way home.

It's washed the cat repellent stuff away from the gap at the end of my garden fence, hence this morning there were two piles of tabby carp on my lawn - the first in a month or so.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sun 8 May 11 at 13:35
 It's chucking it down here - Perky Penguin
Some rain overnight in Stamford Lincs. Didn't seem like much to me but a neighbour was concerned that his prize rhododendron might have been flattened - it hadn't! Whatever rain there was does not seem to have helped with the fires at Crowthorne Berks; there are still road closures after 5 days.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Sun 8 May 11 at 14:23
 It's chucking it down here - Stuu
Rained last night from about 9ish onwards. Previous night filled my water butt about 1/4, last night brimmed it, could do with that sort of rain once a week please!
 It's chucking it down here - Stuartli
>>..could do with that sort of rain once a week please!>>

At least a fortnight of steady rain (rather than the occasionally heavy downpour), preferably overnight, is very much needed...:-)

It's chucking it down here - Runfer D'Hills
Well, we've just returned from a mountain biking trip. Beautiful weather when we set out. Did 28 miles of forest trails and a bit of brainless stunting, jumps, gullys and stuff. Piddled down about halfway round. Soaked through but it's 17C so we soon dried off.

The bikes are pretty much brown though. The inside of the car looks like the Somme. The outside of the car looks like it has been greenlaning and we look like we've been mud wrestling.

Feel great mind !

Work tomorrow.

:-(
Its been bothering me for a while, one of these things that nibbles at your thoughts, and then, like he sun breaking through on a cloudy day, a moment of clarity

tinyurl.com/6hzcceb

tinyurl.com/6f3buj6
Tee Hee ! - Actually my colleagues refer to my Qashqai as my "little tank", a not terribly veiled reference to Lt Gruber's wheels in 'Allo 'Allo.

They've all got X5s and Merc MLs.

I don't care, I'm not paying the levels of bik tax they are !

Aye, look efter the pennys and the poonds'll follow...

:-)
...Actually my colleagues refer to my Qashqai as my "little tank"...

You are on your way to forming a division.

I recall a make-at-home model of the classic WW1 tank was featured on Blue Peter.

It was made from a couple of large matchboxes, but in common with all their other models, I never got around to making one.

It's chucking it down here - swiss tony
>> I recall a make-at-home model of the classic WW1 tank was featured on Blue Peter.
>>
>> It was made from a couple of large matchboxes, but in common with all their
>> other models, I never got around to making one.

Have you thought of making a model of your Cashcow?
No, I don't want three!
 It's chucking it down here - CGNorwich
No significant rain in Norwich since March 4th Only 24mm in last 67 days. Saw a cloud this morning but no rain. Clear blue skies again this evening.
No - the ugly usage "Brits" matters wherever it is seen, or heard. :=)
Would Scots be happy at being called "Scotch"?
Your spanish anyway, you are lucky we let you back in.
>> No - the ugly usage "Brits" matters wherever it is seen, or heard. :=)
>> Would Scots be happy at being called "Scotch"?

British = Brits
Scottish = Scotts

Using your criteria, "Brits" fits perfectly.
 It's chucking it down here - bathtub tom
>>Would Scots be happy at being called "Scotch"?

Scotch is, I believe, erroneously used as referring to the excellent, alcoholic beverage.

My (1969 edition) OED says: of Scotland, or its inhabitants. Modern Scots (sic)usu. prefer the forms Scots, Scottish...........

I love winding up a few of my acquaintance. ;>)
 It's chucking it down here - ....
29C for the last two days. The Germans will be buying Kielder at this rate...
 It's chucking it down here - Fullchat
Another totally useless fact. As a motorcyclist I'm conscious of salt on the roads as it plays havoc with all the steel and aluminium. We haven't had any rain since the last gritter was out many weeks ago to wash away the salt - until last night.

Not stopped me going out for a spin though :-)
 It's chucking it down here - Dave_
>> We haven't had any rain since the last gritter was out many weeks ago to wash away the salt - until last night.

That might explain the surprising amount of filth picked up by my car in an hour on a wet but apparently clean motorway last night!
Yeah, nasty slimy film on the screen too.
 It's chucking it down here - Hard Cheese

Rain here Friday night through to around 11:00am yesterday, again last night though it was fine this morning, more rain this PM from 16:00 to 18:00. I went out on the mountain bike this eve and the lanes are quite muddy, looks like it is enough rain to have made a difference.

It's chucking it down here - CGNorwich
"Yeah, nasty slimy film on the screen too."

Never is much on on Sundays
I thought a repeat showing of "Braveheart" was the film being talked of!
Latest Forum Posts