Non-motoring > Autographs. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 42

Autographs. - helicopter
Lots of people on the thread about Murray Walker are saying they have his autograph.

Eveyone who writes a book these dats signs it.

It got me wondering, which sporting heroes autographs would you like to get for your collection...?

One living and one dead.......

For me it would be Muhammad Ali and Jim Clark
 Autographs. - Pat
Joey Dunlop and Giacomo Agostini

Pat
 Autographs. - Golf_Paul
What a pity you weren't with me on this day ...

tinyurl.com/6dnggv5

... and don't mention the leathers ;-)
 Autographs. - Dog
Iron Mike & our enry.
 Autographs. - Londoner
Pheidippides and Ian Botham.
 Autographs. - Dave_
Lewis Hamilton, Ayrton Senna.
 Autographs. - Zero
Govenor of the bank of England.
 Autographs. - Pat
Pay attention Z, please

>>which SPORTING heroes autographs <<

Pat
 Autographs. - Zero
He likes a flutter now and again?
 Autographs. - Clk Sec
He would be a good sport if he gave Z his autograph.
 Autographs. - Zero
How about BBD? he is game for anything
 Autographs. - Iffy
Shoeless Joe Jackson - whoever he was - just to sell it.

Quoting: "In 1990, a collector paid nearly $24,000 for a Joe Jackson autograph, a record amount for a 20th century autograph. Since Jackson was illiterate, he had to have copied the signature from one made by his wife."

www.thebaseballpage.com/players/jacksjo01
 Autographs. - Clk Sec
Slight thread drift.

I was never much of an autograph seeker, but I did get one from Arthur Haynes when I was a young lad, and another from Dick Emery in the early 70's.
 Autographs. - Iffy
I arrived early outside Bolton's football ground for a game against Spurs.

Killing time, I waited around to watch Spurs come off the team bus.

We were behind a barrier and a few people - mostly kids - held out their programmes to be signed.

I did the same just for the fun of it and got Jamie Redknapp.

Autographs. - nyx2k
i got micheal jackson's in 1988 in the middle of the night at a motorway service station and princess dianas a few months later at 4.30am as she was coming out the grand hotel in leicester
 Autographs. - Focusless
>> Quoting: "In 1990, a collector paid nearly $24,000 for a Joe Jackson autograph,
>>
>> www.thebaseballpage.com/players/jacksjo01

Ah, that explains it - I liked 'Different for girls' as well, but that seemed excessive :)
 Autographs. - Iffy
...Ah, that explains it - I liked 'Different for girls' as well, but that seemed excessive :)...

I used to live in a flat in Camberwell, south London, formerly owned by Joe Jackson.

He moved, I think, to America, but we'd often get phone calls when he was 'in town'.

Autographs. - Dog
>>I used to live in a flat in Camberwell, south London<<

We must have been near-neighbours then, almost - I lived just orf the Green c62 ~ 67.
 Autographs. - Iffy
...We must have been near-neighbours then, almost - I lived just orf the Green c62 ~ 67...

Although not in time, this would have been the early/mid-1980s.

The flat was in Camberwell Grove.

There were a couple of other 'celebrities' in the street, Lorraine Chase, the newsreader/journalist Robert Kee, and the actor bloke - before he was very famous - who married the actress Emma Thompson.

The street was/is tree-lined with tall poplars, and I spoke to Ms Chase on the morning after the great storm.

Several of the trees were blown over, crushing a few cars, but not including my Cortina estate or Ms Chase's XJS.

The trees blocked the street for a week or two before the council got around to clearing them.

During that time, I met more of my neighbours than I ever did living for years living elsewhere in London.

Edit: Just remembered the actor bloke, it was Kenneth Brannagh.

Autographs. - Dog
>>During that time, I met more of my neighbours than I ever did living for years living elsewhere in London<<

Bit like 39-45 then! We lived in a council flat in Hopewell St. orf Elmington Rd. I went to Brunswick Park junior Sch., then William Penn sec mod in Dulwich, then to an 'approved' school in Dovercourt, Essex :(

I know Camberwell Grove well - very select, I had customers there c78-92.

I dread to think what the price of property is now!!

Autographs. - BiggerBadderDave
Camberwell - from Wikki

"the name Camberwell may have come from the Saxon language, meaning Cripple Well, which developed as a hamlet where people from the City of London were expelled when they had life threatening diseases like leprosy"
 Autographs. - Dog
>>Camberwell - from Wikki<<

It also mentions the R White's Lemonade factory which was in Albany Rd. IIRC.

S'funny how folk used to 'take the water' back in the 'old days' because er indoors and I have felt somehow better since we've been on the bore hole water,

it's quite acidic though (I believe) as it comes up through peat (must be a joke there somewhere!)

I'll have to see about neutralising the stuff, one day.
 Autographs. - Dog
Here's a nice pad in Camberwell Grove ~

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-32180882.html
 Autographs. - Mapmaker
Dog - I've been round that school conversion which is by St George's Homes. (I was idly passing and popped in for a moment.) Fully priced!
 Autographs. - Dog
It's a school is it Mm, very nice indeed, but the fees are high!
 Autographs. - Iffy
...It's a school is it Mm, very nice indeed, but the fees are high!...

It was also the headquarters of the Save the Children charity.

It's at the bottom end of the Grove, nearest the green.

When I lived there, the Grove was very mixed.

Some rich people had a whole townhouse to themselves, then there were people like me who had one floor of a townhouse as a flat.

Further up there were a few small houses owned by the council, and then some rundown bigger houses which were squats.

Typical of many parts of London - every step on the property ladder within a few hundred yards.

Autographs. - Dog
>>Further up there were a few small houses owned by the council, and then some rundown bigger houses which were squats<<

I may come over as a bit of a snob but ... I think it's a shame when you get council owned property and squats etc. in what is essentially a nice well kept area - don't get me wrong though, as I've lived on no-less than 5 council estates myself.

Same thing happens here in Cornwall I notice, some luvly areas spoiled by sprawling council estates - deliberate policy I believe, the thinking being that good would have a beneficial effect on the bad and the ugly ... nah!

Autographs. - BiggerBadderDave
"I used to live in a flat in Camberwell"

Let me guess - Ward 3, Maudsley Hospital?
 Autographs. - nyx2k
maybe my m jackson autograph is worth something then.

id dropped off my then girlfriend at leeds for a jackson concert and then went out for a meal with some friends and at about 2.00am i decided to go to see a friend in leicester but on the way back needed some fuel so pulled in and pulled behind an s class merc. as i got out jackson appereard from the back seat and went into the garage to buy chocolate and drinks, feeling an autograph would give me brownie points with the girlfriend i asked for an autograph and he was very nice and very normal and chatted for a few mins until lots of cars pulled up at the same time and started crowding him so he ran back to the car and they shot off very quickly.
 Autographs. - Armel Coussine
>> How about BBD? he is game for anything

Messalina (or Catherine the Great) and Christine Keeler?
 Autographs. - Mike Hannon
Gary Sobers. Fangio.
 Autographs. - Armel Coussine
Fangio was the only one that sprang to my mind too MH. But to tell the truth I wouldn't want an 'autograph'. A signed letter, artwork or personal book dedication is the only proper place for a valued signature if you ask me.

I suppose quite a lot of people must scribble 'Nelson Mandela' or 'Gandhi' on a bit of paper and try to flog it on Ebay.

As a child I was given several autograph books but I never got anyone to sign them. Couldn't see the point. I had friends at school who would proudly display some scribble and say it was by some bloke or other from Plymouth Argyle or a speedway team.

'Who?' I used to wonder in all sincerity.

Autographs. - MD
Barry Sheene and Marco Simoncelli.
 Autographs. - Dave_
>> 'Who?' I used to wonder

The only autographed item I have (and have ever had) is a copy of the Top Gear Good Car Guide 1994 by Quentin Willson. It was a booby prize for not getting all the questions right when hauled up for a quiz on the TG stand at the Motor Show that year. Clarkson signed it as well.

It might be worth something one day.
 Autographs. - Ted

I haven't the slightest interest in anyone's autograph...never have had.

The only ' celebrity ' signature I have is that of Charles Tunnicliffe RA.

That's because I have an original pen and ink drawing of an English White Rabbit
on my lounge wall. It was one of two drawings bought in the mid seventies with a box of items at the sale by auction of the contents of his sister's house in Sutton, Macclesfield.
The other, a small watercolour of a stalking cat is just signed CT.

Brilliant wildlife and post-mortem artist, settled on Anglesey.

Worth a Google if you're a wildlife fan.

Ted
 Autographs. - werdnatram
Hi, Do you still have the Tunnicliffe artworks? You're very lucky. I would love to own an original by him. The Tunnicliffe society would also love to hear from you. Cheers, Andy.
 Autographs. - Ted
Hi Andy.

I have the English White rabbit framed in a nice mount and hung on the lounge wall.

The stalking cat is only a small painting and is safe in my desk here. I'll find it and scan it for the thread.

I have the books 'Portrait of a Country Artist ' and ' A Sketchbook of Birds ' in my collection.

Wonderful paintings in both volumes.

Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Thu 25 Aug 11 at 22:31
 Autographs. - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I suppose quite a lot of people must scribble 'Nelson Mandela' or 'Gandhi' on a
>> bit of paper and try to flog it on Ebay.

A lot of sportsmen and women no longer sign jerseys, cricket bats etc for random fans as they know a lot will end up on eBay.
 Autographs. - R.P.
Funnily enough unpacking the last few boxes last night came across an autographed pamphlet authored by Richard Holmes...:-(
 Autographs. - Mike Hannon
>>I had friends at school who would proudly display some scribble and say it was by some bloke or other from Plymouth Argyle or a speedway team. <<

Plymouth Argyle had a big following among the staff at the Westcountry newspaper where I did my time! I also had a school friend who played for Plymouth Argyle and then transferred to Portsmouth. Heady days...
I now have a pic of me standing beside Fangio - in life-size bronze statue form - by the end of the Port in Monte Carlo. Better than an autograph for me.
I was rooting through the attic the other day and came across an old sunhat autographed by Somerset cricketers in about 1980. I was ashamed at the number of them I once admired but whose very existence I had forgotten.
 Autographs. - Alastairw
The ONLY autograph in my 'collection' is that of motor racing legend and failed racimg driver, Tiff Needell. Signed a poster at Earls Court Motor show in about 1994ish.
 Autographs. - Slidingpillar
I bitterly regret not buying a 50's race programme signed by many of the drivers, Prince Bira was among the names, but the list was nearly everybody who was known in the early 50's.

Got Fangio's now though, even if it cost a bit.
 Autographs. - nyx2k
i was behind tiff needell in a tesco in southend on sea and the children were vwery excited.
he stopped and gave them all an autograph. came over as very nice man
Latest Forum Posts