Non-motoring > This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 46

This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Meldrew
I read this with a sharp intake of breath! The bride to be seems a bit uncouth and groom's mother
is a bit of a bossy boots.

tinyurl.com/66rq8ox
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Zero
Love the comment

What do you expect from a haughty-cultural mother in law?
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - madf
Silly old moo...
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Crankcase
Is that a Bourne Ultimatum?
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Cliff Pope
"The email said Miss Withers’ behaviour had been so rude that it had left the family dog, Bomber, traumatized, depressed and anxious."

How did she do that?
Yes I wondered about that too! A dog called Bomber? I imagine going out to call it in and having people thinking you were saying bummer? The whole lot need a bit of therapy!
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Armel Coussine
>> How did she do that?

By patting the animal on the head and offering it a piece of meat off her plate without having been introduced formally? Could easily have been something like that.

Looks to me as if the girl was perhaps a bit offhand in her behaviour. Families do vary considerably in their attitudes to that sort of thing. But it sounds as if she thought she was among friends, and 'at home' with them, as it were.

Any ignorance or rudeness on her part is put in the shade by the old girl's email though. A deeply unpleasant document, really nasty.
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Iffy
The couple have been together since at least 2009 - trip to the States - so it has taken the snobbish old boot a long time to work out the girl may not be good enough for her son.

This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Stuu
My father-in-law is a left-winger, my father a right-wing capitalist who made his money in the Thatcher era - Now thats a real diplomatic minefield - yesterday FIL he was slamming Osborne for not having had a real job, so I lampooned the Lib Dems knowing that he is a traditional Labour supporter ( although not so much now ), job done, then again, its fish in a barrel this current bunch all round, cant stand nearly all of them these days!

This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - neiltoo
This wouldn't have become public if the silly girl hadn't circulated the email to her "friends" - one of whom circulated it more widely.
...This wouldn't have become public if the silly girl hadn't circulated the email to her "friends" - one of whom circulated it more widely...

When you press the 'send' button, there's a risk of publication one way or another.

I don't think the old boot has been very bright, better to express such sentiments as hers in a paper letter.

>> I don't think the old boot has been very bright, better to express such sentiments
>> as hers in a paper letter.

And quite frankly, putting in a letter shows much more class. Sending an email like that is appalling etiquette, on a level with her future daughter in law. (or not now probably)
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - R.P.
Written in Waterman pen on embossed paper....that sends a message in itself.
I could be rude and ignorant enough to express such sentiments, but I would do so face-to-face.

Not least because there is then no permanent record which could be dragged up in the future.

I could be rude and ignorant enough to express such sentiments

Surely not ! :-)
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Cliff Pope
>> >>
>> By patting the animal on the head and offering it a piece of meat off
>> her plate without having been introduced formally? Could easily have been something like that.

>>

Yes, I wondered whether perhaps offering tips to the under-table staff was de trop.
Petiquette must be a nightmare to those not born to it.
We've had a similar Facebook related incident in our family. I didn't laugh at all - no I didn't...!
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Old Navy
I read recently that over 100,000 people in the UK had closed their Facebook accounts. I wonder why?

I dabbled briefly, but never felt comfortable with the setup.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 30 Jun 11 at 15:30
...I read recently that over 100,000 people in the UK had closed their Facebook accounts...

That's not as easy as it sounds.

I've heard of several instances of people who've been unable to delete stuff that's already there.

So all you are really doing is ceasing to use the account.

Of course, it may be those people didn't know which button to press.

>> Of course, it may be those people didn't know which button to press.
>>
>>
Yes, you have to dig deep to find the get out.
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Crankcase
99000 of them will only think they've closed their Facebook accounts. It's not that easy. Took me ages to be certain I'd done it right using the undocumented "special link" hidden in the depths. The damn thing is like the Hydra.

If you don't do that then, like Twitter, your account is just "parked" in case you ever want it again, and of course they retain the rights to do pretty much what they like with your stuff, if you care in the slightest. I know many don't of course.

I was taught never to write (type) anything you were not prepared to see on the front page.

It's a rule that's served me well over the years, and I'm still occasionally surprised at the content of emails from colleagues.

Even if I type a rude word by mistake in a desktop document - 'shirt' can sometimes come out the wrong way - I delete it immediately.

This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Roger.
>> "The email said Miss Withers’ behaviour had been so rude that it had left the
>> family dog, Bomber, traumatized, depressed and anxious."
>>
>> How did she do that?
The mind boggles!
>> How did she do that?
>> The mind boggles!

Very funny Roger.

... 'and our budgie, Joey, was so appalled that he fainted and fell on his back with his little claws in the air. We had to take him to the vet for a cortisone shot...'
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - SteelSpark
Maybe the groom likes his girls a bit common. The father of the bride probably does too. I bet he has a secretary with bleach blonde hair and a skirt so short that his wife would never approve.
Nowhere to hide, its hit the BBC TV 6pm national news. :-)
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Manatee
The list of sins in the printed Telegraph story include complaining about not having enough food, starting before everyone else, and taking second helpings before they were offered, none of which I would have expected my children to do when they were older than six.

She probably needed a bit of guidance, but the prospective ma-in-law should have found a better way to tell her.

Mind, civility has all but disappeared amongst we hoi polloi who once took pride in teaching our children how to behave. Most of my younger colleagues and a few of the less young ones are no better. Etiquette is not the issue, they are plain rude.

Good story, of far more interest than Greece going down the plughole ;-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 30 Jun 11 at 20:52
...Good story, of far more interest than Greece going down the plughole ;-)...

The only thing wrong with that statement is the smiley.

>> ...Good story, of far more interest than Greece going down the plughole ;-)...
>>
>> The only thing wrong with that statement is the smiley.

I take your point - I could have used the word entertaining and then I'd definitely agree!
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 30 Jun 11 at 18:38
Any truth in the suggestion that the cost of Greece hosting the Olympics might have triggered their descent into the poo pit?
They were well in the pooh before that, tax-evasion is a national pastime a bloated public sector etc.etc...
>> They were well in the pooh before that, tax-evasion is a national pastime a bloated
>> public sector etc.etc...

£3000 euros per head tax evaded at the last estimate. Of course when you tax them more, that number goes up.
It couldn't have helped.
Are we looking at a "Legacy" from our Olympic adventure or a big bill?
>> Are we looking at a "Legacy" from our Olympic adventure or a big bill?
Any "victory" for the UK from the Olympic farce will surely be Pyrrhic.
>> The list of sins in the printed Telegraph story include complaining about not having enough food, starting before everyone else, and taking second helpings before they were offered, none of which I would have expected my children to do when they were older than six.

I have just remembered that one of the many awful things I have done over the years was once to behave just like that young woman at dinner in someone's house. I was undoubtedly drunk but that's no excuse. My wife was embarrassed of course but threw no light on the situation. To her it was just me 'being awful' as so often, and the people we were dining with whom she didn't know or hugely warm to. That time I really was 'being awful' in reality. Still makes me shudder a bit to remember it.

Lost me a friend too I believe. It isn't my normal behaviour and I still puzzle over it. Perhaps the young woman's behaviour was a bit out of character in the same way.

She's quite pretty in one of the photos. Perhaps some mutual counselling would be beneficial to one or both of us.

Perhaps, perhaps... I doubt if she was that bad really. Media kerfuffle is all.
It isn't getting any better! The groom's father has opined that "My humble opinion of this Carolyn is that she is so far up her own backside she really doesn't know whether to speak or break wind" Advantage Mr Withers, Mrs Bourne to serve!
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 3 Jul 11 at 03:44
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Clk Sec
A bit of decorum at last, then...
Details of the latest developments in the spat - and the full text of the email - here:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009881/Shes-Miss-Fancy-Pants-After-wrath-mother-law-fury-bride-bes-father.html

The old boot is not coming out of this well, but I've been in houses where a couple of things mentioned would be frowned upon.

Taking second helpings at dinner without being asked is not something I would do in a formal-ish setting.

Another is lying in bed when everyone else is up.

I would ask the host the previous evening for a target time for breakfast.

This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - -
A bit of the old live and let live might be appropriate here, for both parties.

The young lady isn't a paid servant to be put in her place nor admonished in quite such a way.
On the other hand we don't know what's been said or been the build up to this unfortunate public airing of laundry.
Maybe the girl could do with some help if she is marrying into that sort of family, maybe the prospective MiL tried, we don't know.
The girl may not appreciate the concern for her behaviour now but in the fullness of time, may well thank the MiL for her diligence.

On the subject of girls that have attended a good finishing school, normally after a private education, the end result is often charming irresistably feminine, long may such ladies and the gentlemen who appreciate such things survive.

Footballers wives and celeb culture may well have the new money, it doesn't buy class or respect.

>> It isn't getting any better! The groom's father has opined that "My humble opinion of
>> this Carolyn is that she is so far up her own backside she really doesn't
>> know whether to speak or break wind" Advantage Mr Withers, Mrs Bourne to serve!

Mr Withers sounds no sharper than his daughter, and he'd be more use if he gave her a bit of fatherly advice.

Mrs Bourne merely gave advice to Miss Withers, privately. Instead of considering either a polite apology and a belated thank you, or taking it up with the old trout if she was offended, she stupidly published it. Own goal.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 3 Jul 11 at 03:44
I just LOVE the future MIL. A lady after my own heart!
She has the touch of the Mrs Bucket about her.
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - Duncan
She still looks quite tidy for a woman in her sixties.
BBD would, that would give her something to write about!
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 2 Jul 11 at 09:16
As well as her own page on the Hun.
 This Looks like a Great Start to a Marriage - BiggerBadderDave
Has the traffic on this site gone quiet since I posted that link? Where has everybody gone? It's a puzzler.
Latest Forum Posts