Non-motoring > Old tech works well. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 7

Old tech works well. - R.P.
My grannie's clock. Been in the attic for at least 15 years, it was dusted down and sent for a 50 quid service - Been up on the wall since Monday evening, keeping excellent time so-far. The mournful chime has spooked the dog a bit....but nice to see a bit of family history back up and working, being late 1930s probably not worth much but would have "seen" a lot of family events including a tense war for the family (where this time everyone arrived home safely) and the German gardener PoW hopefully set his watch by it...nice.
 Old tech works well. - Runfer D'Hills
All you need now is a pipe and some Werthers PU. Light programme gently playing in the corner.

(note to self... must stop thinking about smoking )

:-)
 Old tech works well. - Zero
Not Art Deco is it PU?
Nah, a very basic old thing,brass pendulum....more sentimental than monetary value
 Old tech works well. - Ted

We have one, probably similar. Fairly plain case, looks like oak to me, brass pendolino, Westminster chimes and quarter hourly.
Was MIL's but since she went in 2009 it's been well wrapped up and kept in the workshop.

Nowhere to put it really...the hall has various things on the walls and we don't want it banging away in the lounge.
We already have a chiming bracket clock in the hall, anyway. Kids don't want it but it was in the family when SWM was born so it's part of her life.

Ted
Sounds very similar - No Westminster chime, a single mellow bong on the half hour and an appropriate number of bongs on the hour. Somehow fitting given the family's methodist ways.
 Old tech works well. - AnotherJohnH
Some chiming clocks have the option to disable the bong.

But, I suppose it depends of that noise is part of its charm/nostalgia/history for you - might be like a car with no engine... or a static display.
 Old tech works well. - Mike Hannon
We have a longcase clock put together around 1760 by a man in Blandford Forum who (according to the reference book) only ever put his name on two.
It still keeps excellent time but we have to stop it at night because the chime is too loud for light sleepers in our open-plan house, but every time I swing the pendulum to start it I think of all the fingers that touched that lovely piece of brass before mine.
Latest Forum Posts