Non-motoring > English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 13

English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. - Bigtee
forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110118

This ATC unit is offering a cockpit does require some work and has been outside for years covered up in winter, scroll down for better pictures posted up later.

The unit seems unsure of the best way of selling it but would look great in the conservatory. :-)
 English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. - spamcan61
Bournemouth Aviation museum have the front part of a Lightning stuffed and mounted, I'd never realised just how incredibly cramped the cockpit is until I had a go in it a few weeks back; I'm 5-11 and medium build, I only just fit:-

tinypic.com/r/9kvtq8/7
 English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. - R.P.
Just been out to measure my hard-standing (for a shed arriving on Tuesday) - seems this would fit rather nicely...:-)
 English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. - Zero
www.russianmilitary.co.uk/news-story.php?id=10

This would look much better.
The sale for this is to run for upto 3 weeks.

That russian site has many goodies from time to time.
 English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. - Alastairw
The lightning cockpit (and other planes of that era I think) is notoriously cramped. Tis said that if the pilot ever had to eject he would land sans legs as the would not come out cleanly.
>> The lightning cockpit (and other planes of that era I think) is notoriously cramped. Tis
>> said that if the pilot ever had to eject he would land sans legs as
>> the would not come out cleanly.
>>
Given that the instrument panel started pretty much level with my knees I couldn't work out how on earth you could eject from the Lightning, presumably the seat must've ejected at 45 degrees or summat.
 English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. - WillDeBeest
I have a picture of me, taken at the Midland Air Museum in Coventry, seated in the Meteor cockpit they have on display there. I was presently surprised by the leg and shoulder room on offer, but I could only ever have flown the thing with the lid open, and I suspect that may be Against Regulations.
Well as it happens here's me on the same day, with the same pair of legs, sitting in a Hunter - seems palatial compared to the Lightning:-

tinypic.com/r/1pbjfq/7
 English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. - Alastairw
Saw some Hunters in action yesterday, as it happens. They make a loverly noise when passing at speed.

Other highlights of Waddington 2011:

USAF Thunderbirds - though their coomentator was a bit overblown
Tornado role demo, complete with explosions.
BBMF
Fantastic fun display by a single Chinook - didn't know they were so agile.
The Red Arrow (of course - and much better than the Americans)
XH558 - What a noise!
 English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. - darkknight
Hi,

Is this still for sale?

No it was sold at the buy it now price ages ago.
 English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. - TheManWithNoName
There's a whole one parked up looking sorry for itself at Andrewsfield airfield, Great Saling, Essex. You can see it on Google Earth.
 English Electric Lightning cockpit for sale. - devonite
We`ve still got one up here! - I Think! never heard of it being on the move since anyway!

www.nwemail.co.uk/news/ulverston/not-your-average-garden-ornament-1.487401?referrerPath=home/2.3320
Latest Forum Posts