Non-motoring > Anna Massey dies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 24

Anna Massey dies - Dog
WHO you may ask?

This 'Frenzy' trailer is worth watching for Hitchy cock alone!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoBprPGpzA&NR=1
 Anna Massey dies - Stuartli
>>WHO you may ask?>>

That's a bit unfair on one of the UK's best actresses.

RIP Anna.
 Anna Massey dies - Zero
Watching that clip, I had forgotten how much of a camp genius AH was.
 Anna Massey dies - Armel Coussine
>> I had forgotten how much of a camp genius AH was.

One of his favourite words, expressing complete aesthetic and artistic approval, was 'cheesy'. You can see why. He made a lot of movies including some duds, but usually made money and enjoys almost saintly status with serious cinephiles.
 Anna Massey dies - Dog
>>That's a bit unfair on one of the UK's best actresses<<

That's right, it was, but it wasn't meant to be though - the name meant nothing to me, until I saw who she was.

Anna Massey dies - R.P.
Weirdly and unbeknown to me until the end credits, she was acting in a BBC drama I had saved until Saturday night, when I watched it - some Jimmy McGovern play (which always promises more than is actually delivered). She was credited with acting in mass produced mulch in the BBC news this afternoon, omitting the fact that she was a Shakespearean actor of some note. My personal memory of her is the voicing and realization of Churchill's words in "This Sceptered Isle" - which was a pearl produced by R4 in the 90s.....I have a boxed set of the tapes in my collection. Will have to dig them out and fire up my old Yamaha tape deck...
 Anna Massey dies - Ted

Well, let's have a nice picture of her then...here she is in later life.
Still a very attractive lady.

s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/1400ted/anna/?action=view¤t=anna.jpg

RIP...You'll always be with us...on film.

Ted
 Anna Massey dies - Dog
She was 'a looker' when she was younger (like Ted!)

content9.flixster.com/photo/95/89/48/9589483_gal.jpg
 Anna Massey dies - Zero
Ted was a hooker!!!??

Oh sorry - Looker!
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 4 Jul 11 at 19:14
 Anna Massey dies - Dutchie
Seems a nice lady RIP. Hitchcock the best his voice did it scary.

Whats a hooker is that english?
 Anna Massey dies - Dog
>>Whats a hooker is that english?<<

I know you're awaiting Mr Z ;} but ...

started in the civil war When Gen.Hooker of the Union Army (the first pimp) tried to protect his troops from VD by buying the best chicks and pimping them to his corps of 20,000 men. orginally hooker's girls.
 Anna Massey dies - CGNorwich
Nice story Dog but seems not to be true -

www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-hoo4.htm
 Anna Massey dies - Dog
>>Nice story Dog but seems not to be true -<<

Oh well ... What is it they say about the internet :)

Anna Massey dies - Zero
Its a cracking story tho, it should be true.
 Anna Massey dies - R.P.

Whats a hooker is that english?

Sadly Dutchie, an Americanism (7th Avenue Manhattan) - plenty of English terms, Tom, tart etc. A lady of the night - think window shopping in Amsterdam.
>> plenty of English terms, Tom, tart etc. A lady of the night

'Brass' too Dutchie. Until the seventies there was a scrap metal dealer operating out of a house just off Ladbroke Grove in my old manor (the people running it were genial but intimidating thugs, of a type we Londoners sometimes call 'a bit tasty', meaning potentially capable of theft and mindless violence). On the white stucco side of the building were a crude drawing of a policeman in a helmet with a prominent nipple on top and an even cruder drawing of an improbably large-breasted but authentically hideous woman with a prominent nipple on the front. Next to each drawing were the words 'copper' and 'brass', in black paint and a hand not trained by high artists.

Really used to cheer me up that, for years, whenever I passed. But the old manor has changed for good and now it's a bijou, unsuccessful I think, coffee place.

When I first lived there in the late fifties there were many brasses around, classy ones too. It was like 19th century Paris.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 4 Jul 11 at 22:01
 Anna Massey dies - Zero
Brass is a strange piece of Rhyming Slang with many roots all meaning the same

Brass Heart - Tart
Brass Door - w hore
Brass Flute - Prostitute.

Tho the last one is pretty well made up by people who knew what Brass meant but couldn't connect it.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 4 Jul 11 at 22:10
 Anna Massey dies - Dog
I'll wager comrade Dutch knows what a hooker is alright ;)
Course he does. He lives in (sorry, comes from, slip of the tongue there) a small adaptable liberal country with rational laws on many things.

Don't forget it also houses the International Criminal Court where over-enthusiastic nationalist psychopaths and jerks like Ratko Mladic are tried.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 4 Jul 11 at 22:20
 Anna Massey dies - Zero
>> Course he does. He lives in a small adaptable liberal country with rational laws on
>> many things.
>>
>> Don't forget it also houses the International Criminal Court where over-enthusiastic nationalist psychopaths and jerks
>> like Ratko Mladic are tried.

And kept the Mi Amigo ship supplied. AKA Radio Caroline.
I hope Anna Massey is having a good laugh in the unlikely event that she or her spirit is aware of this louche theatrical thread drift.

There's a good chance she is, if she is. Proper actors have robust humour and are not easily fazed.

But she was a face of my youth, so Respect.
 Anna Massey dies - Ted

Yeah...She was as fit as a butcher's, Dog. Not a bit like me though, I have stubble !

Never been a hooker, never charged for it although I don't mind licking the stamp on both sides now and again.

Ted
Remember radio Veronica?That was the station we used to listen to and radio Luxenbourg at sea.Me hookers never. I grew up near Katendrecht in Rotterdam .Famous area for the Ladys.:)

We used to pinch bananas from the big ships in the Maashaven and sold them to the old age pensioners for ten cents a bunch.
nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Rotterdam_stad_maashaven.jpg

Thats where I used to swim with my mates as kids and grew up .No health and safety then.
 Anna Massey dies - teabelly
I didn't realise who she was until I saw her picture on her obit. Damn shame.
Latest Forum Posts