Non-motoring > Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 25

Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - henry k

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14025550

www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/advice-recall-item.cfm?id=273199
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - Dutchie
Maybe best if you have a Beko Fridge Freezer to let somebody have a look.

Better be safe than sorry.
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - Stuartli
>>Maybe best if you have a Beko Fridge Freezer to let somebody have a look.>>

If you follow the instructions properly in the Trading Standards link it's quite easy to see if a particular Beko model is one covered by the recall.
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - spamcan61
I'm hoping Beko's standards of professionalism are higher in their products than their press releases (weird, out of perspective door, random unlabelled table of data), but I doubt it.

To be fair my mum has one of the affected models and they've already contacted her to arrange a date for retrofit.

Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - Mike Hannon
There must be a lot of Beko fridge/freezers out there - all the Trading Standards links aren't working.
We have one, bought nearly 9 years ago and used intensively since. A few months ago we had the kitchen re-done, and had the doors switched around on it to suit the new layout because it didn't seem appropriate to ditch it when it was still working well.
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - CGNorwich
works for me but here is the relevant info from the website;

"Check the model number and serial number of your fridge freezer. The serial number is on the rating plate (examples below) and is 10 or 12 digits long located inside the fridge compartment. The first 2 digits of the serial number give the year of production. Please contact us if your models serial number begins with any of the following: 00 01 02 03 04 05 06

If you own an affected product, or if you are unsure if your product is affected, call our free phone number 0800 009 4837 between 8.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday . We will arrange to visit your home and make the modification to the product at no charge to you. Please have the model and serial number of your product when you call.

Further details can be found on our website www.beko.co.uk (opens in a new window) , where you can also check if your product is affected by entering the model and serial no.'
I bought a Beko fridge-freezer about a year ago on the recommendation of my best mate, who used to own an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet. He has had one for two or three years and the dealer who supplied the appliance (a friend of my best mate) said he also owned one.

Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - Zero
20 fires, 15 dead. Hmmmmmmmm,
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - WillDeBeest
It was only one death this morning. What have I missed?
Oh sorry thats a mix of round the country its 1 death in london 15 injured.

apologees.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 5 Jul 11 at 16:13
Makes you wonder all the appliances in houses which are a fire hazard.

Again the inportance of smoke alarms and escape route to get out if things go pear shaped.

You would never think that a Freezer is a fire hazard.Is it cheap production or what?
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - DP
>> You would never think that a Freezer is a fire hazard.Is it cheap production or
>> what?

A fridge/freezer is pretty unique, in that it is an 'install and forget' item that is never switched off from the moment it is installed, to the moment you unplug it to take it to the tip.
It's something I've never really given a second thought to....until now.
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - Alanovich
In my experience they sometimes get switched off when the owner goes on holiday.

With somewhat stinky results. Grim. :-(
Say 30 million fridge freezers in the UK . Freezers Been around for 30 years so that's 900 freezer years. One recorded death. That's 900 million to one against me dying from a fire caused by a freezer. Shan't lose any sleep
I would, if i had a Beko.... your odds are much shorter.
I don't have a Beko so I guess my odds are in fact much longer. Mind you, you never know what's going to get you. I think falling down stairs is the number one cause of injuries in the home.

>> I think falling down stairs
>> is the number one cause of injuries in the home.

Surprised Elfin Safety haven't banned them.
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - spamcan61
>>
>> You would never think that a Freezer is a fire hazard.Is it cheap production or
>> what?
>>
Beko are at the cheaper end of the market, they are actually a manufacturer rather than just a 'badge engineering' company, been in the UK for a good few years now. Whether this particular 'feature' is due to taking cost cutting a bit too far or unforeseen circumstances I have no idea.
It's certainly not confined to fridge-freezers by any means. See:

www.dontgivefireahome.com/fire_safety/1415.html

I would't leave the washing machine on going to sleep to much of a rackett.

A friend of ours left his washing machine on whilst going shopping.Came back,kitchen flooded

not a good idea.Drain pipe came out the standpipe if that makes sense.

We always use the washing machine at night. Electricity is cheaper
Good point never thought of that Norwich.

I have a word with the missus she can do the ironing at night give me a decent kip.:)
Seems there's been a recall reported today for Bosch, Neff or Siemens dishwashers, manufactured between 1999 and early 2005, which MAY overheat and in very rare cases cause a potential fire hazard.

Enter details if you have one at:

www.repairaction.co.uk/

Batch numbers ranging between FD7901 to FD8504 could be affected.

For example: Model SGS4 3C02 GB/43. Batch FD7901

Some more info at:

tinyurl.com/5tlgllw
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 5 Jul 11 at 19:25
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - Clk Sec
Ours has checked out OK.
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - Dave_
My Beko Fridge Freezer isn't a frost free model so isn't affected, and it was built in 1997 so well before the relevant dates too.

The fire brigade made house-to-house calls around our cul-de-sac (50 units of social housing) a couple of years ago to give fire safety advice to householders. They advised me to unplug the 4-way block supplying the TV/DVD/freeview at night, not just switch it off. I switch off the kettle, microwave and PC at night too, but that's more out of tightness than safety - overall I like to think we're at fairly low risk of anything combusting here.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 5 Jul 11 at 19:38
 Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezers - safety notice - Focusless
>> Good point never thought of that Norwich. [electricity cheaper at night]

Only on specific tariffs of course, not the standard ones.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 6 Jul 11 at 12:08
Latest Forum Posts