Non-motoring > Bucket List. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 47

Bucket List. - R.P.
Mentioned elsewhere....

Looking for sensible suggestions.....

So-far

1. Premier League soccer match...

2. San Fransisco/LA

3. Buying a 5 grand Subaru WR for some laughs.

4. The Cambrian Coast railway (done bits of it)

Bucket List. - Badwolf
Are we limited to four?

1. A world cruise aboard one of Cunard's finest.

2. Take the Orient Express to Venice (if that's still possible!)

3. LFC Season Ticket.

4. Fly first class to New York, stay in a five star hotel then cruise back.

5. Travel around Great Britain by train.

6. Run a successful country gastropub.

7. Buy and restore an ex-Southport & District Leyland Atlantean/National.

That's it. Until I think of summat else!
 Bucket List. - Zero
2 LA?

Dont.

Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosimite. Hurst castle instead.

See my suggestions on the thread that sparked this. Can give you the name of a nice hotel near Hurst castle.

1 Yes you will be suprised at the colour, drama and humour.

3 Lancer Evo - Of course I would say that.

4. Its ok (done bits of it too) but I have to say there is better. Steam train in the Jacobean Express in the highlands of scotland. Settle to Carlisle on a steam train, you really here them boys work!

Suggestions

Manly to Sydney circular quay, surely the most spectacular ferry journey anywhere in the world.

Shark Bay, Monkey Mia, paddle with wild dolphins.

Terracotta Army

Walk the great wall of china

Horse riding on an Irish Beach

See the Aurora Borealis

YellowStone park geyser.

Drive a big tank, say a T62

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 28 Jul 11 at 01:01
 Bucket List. - Old Navy
>> Manly to Sydney circular quay, surely the most spectacular ferry journey anywhere in the world.
>>
>>
>> Shark Bay, Monkey Mia, paddle with wild dolphins.
>>

The Manly ferry was Mrs ON's commuter route when we lived there, yes, she does get seasick! :-)

To Shark Bay and Monkey Mia I would add Ningaloo Reef for snorkling.
 Bucket List. - PeterS
>> Manly to Sydney circular quay, surely the most spectacular ferry journey anywhere in the world.

I think I prefer the Star Ferry from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island, though Sydney Harbour is not bad!!

Peter
 Bucket List. - Ted
>> Drive a big tank, say a T62
>>

I took the controls of a Churchill for a short distance.

Although I found the Stannah more comfortable !

I'll get me parka !

Ted
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 28 Jul 11 at 01:01
 Bucket List. - CGNorwich

1 A trip to the Outer Hebrides (Include Callanish on the Isle of Lewis, far more evocative than stone henge)

2 Stay in a top London Hotel

3 Walk Hadrian's Wall

4 Helicopter Trip to the Scilly Islands

5 Visit Norwich beer festival in October

Bucket List. - R.P.
Taking a Banana boat to the Caribbean was an early item on the list. Apparently they carried a few paying passengers, probably not allowed anymore on H&S grounds - too many banana skins these days.
 Bucket List. - four wheels good...
Look at something like freightercruises.com. Most decent sized merchantmen have cabins for owners / directors which they sell when not occupied. Fancy this myself when retired though they often dock in less posh ports or commercial port areas than normal cruise liners and sometimes the itinery may change as demand or trade dictates.
Last edited by: four wheels good... on Mon 11 Jul 11 at 13:55
 Bucket List. - AnotherJohnH
>> 3 Walk Hadrian's Wall

As memory serves (so it might not be true) a fair chunk of the wall has a road on top of it, but there are still some very scenic bits you can walk - especially the middle section near Hexham (betwixt the Forts Housestead and Vindolanda).
 Bucket List. - Pat
My Mum used to say to me 'Much wants more'....and you all want so much:)

Here's mine:

1) Paddle a canoe and get out of it without falling in.

2) Ride a horse along a beach.

3) Live on Looe Island

4) Own a V8 Scania with twin stacks

5) Own a big, smelly, pink muddy pig

All simple things compared to the above, but I have all the important things in life.

Pt
 Bucket List. - R.P.
You're right Pat - bar the pig thing :-)

Bucket List. - CGNorwich
Yes you are right - the Military Road (B6318) built to after the Jacobite uprisings was built alone a good chunk of the wall. The bit you mention is the most intact and is a great walk. Vindolanda is a world class site and a definite must to visit. If you want a long distance walk you can do the Hadrians Wall path from Wallsend to the Solway Firth. Done most of it but not in one go!

www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrianswall/
 Bucket List. - R.P.
Offa's Dyke is more achievable...for me.
 Bucket List. - Runfer D'Hills
I didn't have you down as a dyke sort of chap but I guess you have to set yourself challenges when you retire...
 Bucket List. - Zero
>> I didn't have you down as a dyke sort of chap

Well, when all you have is sheep...
 Bucket List. - R.P.
Added two today and fulfilled one.

1. Take a ferry across the Mersey - done today.

2. Take a glider flight - that is do-able, apparently the guy who owns Witter towbars also owns a gliding club in the Vale of Clwyd. They certainly used to do pleasure flights for around 15 quid a shot, I think I may partake.

PS

Just to get you whistling...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=loyRYFUYg9g
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 27 Jul 11 at 20:30
 Bucket List. - Robin O'Reliant
Commit a murder.
 Bucket List. - Dutchie
Are you on tablets?
 Bucket List. - Armel Coussine
He's stopped taking them Dutchie. They make him feel boring and ugly and put on weight.

Actually though, what man over 2 hasn't fantasized about wasting (usually quite ill-defined) bad people with savage abandon and effective weapons? Like that Norwegian twerp? Don't try denying it like damn hypocrites. Why do you watch all those movies, guiltily or not?

I certainly have. But the only circumstances under which I can imagine doing it are so dire that they don't bear thinking about.

Anyway my mass murdering days have passed without harm to most creatures. I'm quite adept with firearms but you need more than that for the big splat. I'm a bit old now. Physically slow and with too much human sympathy.

Still, fingers crossed. Perhaps some burglar will try his luck.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 28 Jul 11 at 01:57
 Bucket List. - Zero
Its the getting away with it.

Yeah there are one or two people in life I would have done away with if given the means and the ability to get away with it.
 Bucket List. - Dutchie
Same here the mind can work in misterious ways.

One or two people and then back down to earth its not worth it.)
 Bucket List. - Dutchie
The old man used to have a gun on board,suppose to be for self defense if there was a mutiniy.

He didn't need it he could handle himself ,when the cook was chasing one of the crew members with a knife.He sorted them both.;)
>> He sorted them both.;)

'The skipper's just been calming the cook and a foremast jack who'd got a bit excited like over some missing sugar. Laid them both out cold with a marline spike and threw them into the forward fish hold. The cook's looking a bit blue and hasn't come to yet. Blood coming out of both ears.

'Cold slumgullion for supper tonight, damn the skipper's eyes...'

I'd like to have met your old man Dutchie.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 28 Jul 11 at 16:48
 Bucket List. - Dutchie
He was a caracter AC I have to dig up a photo somewhere to show.He started on sailing ships and showed me how to splice ropes and do knots which most I forgot.

Spoke scandinavian english and german he was of the old school.He liked the UK and I used to go ashore with him.All in the past now time moves on.I like the way you wrote that AC not far wrong.;)
 Bucket List. - R.P.
Reminds me of the "meat cleaver" incident in Liverpool yesterday....
Although it would be considered a bit un-pc to say such a thing in sensitive company, it must be quite a thrill to shoot somebody dead, rather like scoring a goal playing football. Not in cold blood of course, but as a soldier in a firefight or if you were acting in self-defence against someone similarly armed.

Anyone ever done it?
Eliminating a dangerous adversary is one thing. Killing a human being in what may well be a messy way is quite another.

>> Anyone ever done it?

No, but I knew fairly well someone who had done a lot of it. He wasn't bloodthirsty at all and although familiar with weapons, didn't seem to like them particularly. He told me a story about being in battle about to shoot someone on the ground when he suddenly saw the young conscript in question for what he was: a terrified boy - 'urchin', he said - staring death in the face. So he didn't shoot him after all but captured him, a bit of a nuisance when you are part of a small guerilla unit in a vast desert (transport, food and water problems among others).

A Muslim, my friend said he had 'thanked God' for sparing him from what he would have regarded as murder. He himself had at least three bullet wounds and a vast scar on his forehead from an RPG which had exposed his brains and got sand on them. His comrades thought he was a goner until he asked for a cigarette. He told me what it was like having your brains scooped back into your head: like loudspeaker crackle, he said. He's dead now. I liked him a lot.
 Bucket List. - R.P.
Not something I want on my bucket list.
 Bucket List. - Old Navy
>> >> Anyone ever done it?
>>
>>

Why do you think that many of our serving and ex-servicemen have PTSD and other mental health problems? Not something to take on by choice.
 Bucket List. - helicopter
I could tell you Robin.......

......but then I would have to kill you......
 Bucket List. - Mapmaker
Robin Regal>> Commit a murder.
>> it must be quite a thrill to shoot somebody dead, rather like scoring a goal playing football.

Crumbs. Have you read the story in today's paper about the boy (16) who murdered his girlfriend (15) for a bet. Sounds a bit like you. Chilling, the casual way in which life is treated. All the fault of movies and computer games. There was a recent case where some youngster shot somebody, "just like in a computer game" and hadn't thought about the consequences of death.

Quite different from the cold calculating activity of the Norwegian who will presumably end his days in a mental hospital. I don't think I'm a shrinking wuss, but to read RR's post here makes me cringe.

I've friends whom I presume have killed people. I don't think they thought it was a "thrill" - or at least not like that, though no doubt it will have been a huge adrenaline rush. They certainly don't brag about it.

As for AC's suggestion that we've all thought about murdering somebody, I'm sure I must have. However, today there's nobody whom I wished I had murdered at the time, so I'm glad I never did.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Thu 28 Jul 11 at 18:50
>> AC's suggestion that we've all thought about murdering somebody,

Zero got it wrong too. What I suggested was that most men have fantasized about wasting ill-defined bad guys like someone in a movie, not 'thought about murdering someone' - someone specific one assumes. I can't remember ever seriously wanting to murder a specific individual, not even a close member of my family (and they are the ones who wind you up most).

That sort of fantasizing is going on all the time when one is watching The Wild Bunch or Robocop or any violent movie. You identify with the good guy who satisfyingly wastes the bad guys, or goes down a hero in a hail of lead. What could be simpler and nicer? So hygienic too, no stench or blood or the wrong people gurgling... just pleasure. For nasty rough little boys.

As for the Norwegian twerp, or the moron boy who bashed his girlfriend's head in with a rock, there's nothing useful to be said about psychopaths, except that they are to be avoided if possible and treated with extreme caution otherwise. But of course you have to identify the ghastly berks, not always easy until they do something.
 Bucket List. - R.P.
This was supposed to be a cheerful thread.....:-(
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 28 Jul 11 at 19:52
 Bucket List. - Roger.
There's a certain weather "girl" I wouldn't mind cosying up to.
(SWMBO never looks at this forum - I hope!)
'A sullen and blustery cold front moving in from the Left, but by tomorrow evening we will be bathed in warm sunshine from the Far Right...', eh Roger?

You have to listen carefully to know whether a weather girl is a solid reactionary or not.
 Bucket List. - swiss tony
>> There's a certain weather "girl" I wouldn't mind cosying up to.
>> (SWMBO never looks at this forum - I hope!)
>>
I've met the Scottish one.... And as BBD would say -I would!
 Bucket List. - Roger.
>> >> There's a certain weather "girl" I wouldn't mind cosying up to.
>> >> (SWMBO never looks at this forum - I hope!)
>> >>
>> I've met the Scottish one.... And as BBD would say -I would!

If that's the one, (C.K), on BBC1 Breakfast - have you noticed how trim she is looking these days?
 Bucket List. - swiss tony
>> >> >> There's a certain weather "girl" I wouldn't mind cosying up to.
>> >> >> (SWMBO never looks at this forum - I hope!)
>> >> >>
>> >> I've met the Scottish one.... And as BBD would say -I would!
>>
>> If that's the one, (C.K), on BBC1 Breakfast - have you noticed how trim she
>> is looking these days?
>>

Oooohhhhh Yes I have!

Lovely lass in all the meanings....
 Bucket List. - Old Navy
>>
>> Lovely lass in all the meanings....
>>

You must mean "Aberdeen Annie" from the days when the only broadcastable weather camera in Scotland was the Aberdeen one.
 Bucket List. - Zero
>> This was supposed to be a cheerful thread.....:-(

Talking about things you need to do before you die is cheerful?

>>
>> Crumbs. Have you read the story in today's paper about the boy (16) who murdered
>> his girlfriend (15) for a bet. Sounds a bit like you. Chilling, the casual way
>> in which life is treated.
>>
Not the sort of scenario I was referring to at all, which should be obvious from my post.

Bucket List. - Ted

A former colleague of mine topped 6 Yemeni insurgents in the Aden crisis.

He was a sniper and was protecting the withdrawal of an SAS unit. I'm still in touch with him. He never, ever talked about it and was ( and is ) a most cheerful and friendly guy.

He is mentioned in a book one of the other lads had read, about the Aden campaign.
It was his job, I guess, and he did it well.

Ted
 Bucket List. - bathtub tom
>>A former colleague of mine topped 6 Yemeni insurgents in the Aden crisis..............
He never, ever talked about it

It seems he must have done????
 Bucket List. - Fullchat
OK. If you had the opportunity to pull the trigger on someone of the ilk of say Levi Bellfield would you take the opportunity. I must say when I see his picture it arouses certain emotions.
 Bucket List. - Zero
Yeah, no problem. It helps that he looks ugly and acts slimy.
>> It helps that he looks ugly and acts slimy.

Unlike the handsome, smartly turned out, supercilious, dreamy, allegedly 'intelligent' Norwegian toerag, who might also be done away with for the good of humanity but won't be.

Doubtless it is tempting sometimes to be creatively jumpy and get it done. 'My finger sort of slipped sir. I was in fear for my life.'

'Well done Sergeant. Have to put you on a charge of course.'

Just as most of us don't fancy being cold-blooded murderers, so it isn't everyone who makes a happy executioner. Professional hangmen tended to drink heavily. You might, after a few who didn't seem to deserve it. Bad for the attitudes too in the long run, in places where justice is less formal than here. In the end people don't want to shake your hand, except other butchers.

Soldiering is different though, even sniping which many see as cold-blooded. Or it should be, and in the best cases (Ted's friend and mine, along with countless others) it is. But war is a very mucky business, an orgy of large-scale, legal official crime that can hide many individual crimes. Stuff happens in the heat of the moment. A matter for the individual conscience.
 Bucket List. - Kevin
Maybe, if you guys agreed to look the other way. But it wouldn't be a chest or head shot.
Latest Forum Posts