Non-motoring > What does a USB socket do on a mini hi-fi? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 11

What does a USB socket do on a mini hi-fi? - Iffy
In my case, it certainly doesn't play my iPod.

I have a mini hi-fi in the caravan with a USB socket on the front.

It seemed likely that plugging the iPod into it would produce iPod sounds through the hi-fi, but it doesn't.

I used the lead which came with the iPod to make the connection.

There's a 'USB' button on the remote, so I'm fairly sure I've activated the USB socket.

But sound, there came none.

Any ideas?

What does a USB socket do on a mini hi-fi? - Bromptonaut
I think they're meant for music stored directly on a pen drive or similar.
 What does a USB socket do on a mini hi-fi? - spamcan61
>> I think they're meant for music stored directly on a pen drive or similar.
>>
That'll be it. It might well charge the iPod but that's about all, it'll almost certainly only understand music files stored in folders rather than Apple's more complicated method of music storage. Might be worth trying an MP3 file on the iPod rather than AAC just in case it's a file format thing.
Spammers,

I was with you until: "Might be worth trying an MP3 file on the iPod rather than AAC just in case it's a file format thing."

But not to worry, because if it will not play all the stuff on my iPod, it's not worth bothering about.

Yourself and Bromptonaut have pretty much confirmed what I suspected.

Thanks.

Many of these mini systems and car radios with USB sockets can only play a limited range of file formats, even if they can cope with the way the files are arranged on the device. They can pretty much all play MP3s though.

iTunes creates files from CDs in AAC format by default, which many of these systems won't cope with.
...mini systems and car radios with USB sockets...

Happily, the radio in the CC3 has a simple jack input socket, so the iPod works a treat.

The socket is in the glovebox, but I've managed to route the wire invisibly into the little lidded compartment under the radio - the joins in the dashboard mouldings are in just the right place to do this.

The result is my iPod sits plugged in in the little compartment, and with the lid closed, nobody knows it's there.

Neat, huh?

Actually now you mention it I've never tried plugging my daughter's iPod into the USB socket on my car radio, must have a bash tomorrow. At least the jack socket approach is compatible with just about anything going.
Let's see if the stupid thing will play via USB on the computer with iTunes open...or shut...

...not through the computer's speakers it won't.

OK, I can play anything that's on the iPod directly from iTunes, so I suppose it was a pointless experiment.

A quiet night at the caravan in rainy north Yorkshire.

What does a USB socket do on a mini hi-fi? - Zero
The USB socket on the Radio in the lancer can cope with AC4, MP3, and as long as the directory structure is not to nested find all directories with music files, and they can be navigated via the radio on my Iphone and 30gb MP3 player. I ebven plugged a 500gb external drive into it for a laugh and it coped admirably.

A good 100 quid upgrade
...I even plugged a 500gb external drive into it for a laugh and it coped admirably...

I might try plugging my, er, 160gb external drive into the hi-fi.

Although since it only has a back-up copy of the iTunes files that won't play via the iPod, there might not be much point.

What does a USB socket do on a mini hi-fi? - Bromptonaut
As well as issues with directory structure players seem reluctant to allow access to license protected files (eg WMA/DRM).
 What does a USB socket do on a mini hi-fi? - Zero
I dont have any - managed to avoid any drm media.
Latest Forum Posts