Non-motoring > Gypsy Moth IV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 5

Gypsy Moth IV - Pat
Some good news in all the doom and gloom that surrounds us.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14246044

Sir Francis Chichester has been a hero of mine for many years now.

It was in the late 70's, I was recently married with a young son and very little money. The responsibilities I had weighed heavily upon me in the realisation of what I'd taken on, and I felt I'd achieved nothing much.

I'd never been to London before,(apart from a school trip) and a very rare treat was a day out in place of an annual holiday.
We went to Greenwich to see the Cutty Sark but what impressed me was the tiny boat at the side of it.
Of course, I'd seen it arrive back home but suddenly I realised just what an achievement that was for a man of his age.
I was inspired me and that inspiration has never left me over the years.
It taught me not to fear being alone, that anything could be done if you wanted to do it enough and that you should never accept what life deals you without question.

Yes, I was very young and naive, impressionable too but it served me well.
Listening to those youngsters this morning on the video clip I'm so pleased they have that chance too.
However cynical we get, we should never doubt that to a young person, the silliest things can have a huge impression on the rest of their lives.

Pat
 Gypsy Moth IV - Dutchie
Nice post Pat.

Daughter bought me a book about Ellen Mc.Cartney very brave woman to take on the oceans.

Young people need a challenge whichever this is they are our future.
 Gypsy Moth IV - Crankcase
If we're doing sailing, recommend Joshua Slocum, Tristan Jones and Shane Acton as very readable and in parts, inspiring.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 22 Jul 11 at 12:47
 Gypsy Moth IV - CGNorwich
Sir Francis Chichester inspired a lot of people including Donald Crowhurst who sadly was more like Walter Mitty than his hero.
 Gypsy Moth IV - Zero
For those of you who have never heard of him

Donald Crowhurst (1932–1969) was a British businessman and amateur sailor who died while competing in the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race, a single-handed, round-the-world yacht race. Crowhurst had entered the race in hopes of winning a cash prize from The Sunday Times to aid his failing business. Instead, he encountered difficulty early in the voyage, and secretly abandoned the race while reporting false positions, in an attempt to appear to complete a circumnavigation without actually circling the world. Evidence found after his disappearance indicates that this attempt ended in insanity and suicide.

Shamelessly cut from Wikipedia
 Gypsy Moth IV - Iffy
If Angus who is selling the boat's documents (post now deleted) should return, I suggest he stops being so greedy and donates the paperwork to the charity which has been giving young people a chance to sail on Gypsy Moth:

www.uksa.org/

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 30 Aug 11 at 13:09
Latest Forum Posts