Non-motoring > Tuna Dolphins and Whales Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 20

Tuna Dolphins and Whales - Meldrew
I find the attitudes to these creatures a little odd. Much tuna is sold on the basis that it is "Dolphin Friendly" which I think means that it is caught by rod and line rather than by indiscriminate net fishing. That is perhaps a good thing but if dolphins are caught can they not be eaten too? I have grisly memories of something called Snoek (whale) which was sold after WW2 to supplement the meagre meat ration!

Why are some people so concerned about saving pilot whales? They are clearly intelligent creatures, even if a bit short on navigational skills at times. Hundreds of them must die of natural causes in the oceans but when some are stranded on a beach people rush to save them. Millions of animals are killed for food in this country so what is the motive for saving whales rather than cows, pigs and chickens? NOT posted for controversy! Just trying to ask how people think the bits of this puzzle fit together. I am not a vegan BTW!
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - Zero
Tuna is ugly, Dolphin is cute.

You know the things that drive most people to become vegans? its when someone tells them that the cute fluffy silly playful lamb is going to end up as a chop on their plate. If they had just been show a scruffy flyblown sheep they wouldn't have minded.

Ditto Calves,
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - MD
Zeddo is right once again though it pains me to say (-:o:-)
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - henry k
>>I have grisly memories of something called Snoek (whale) which was sold after WW2 to supplement the meagre meat ration!
>>
I wonder why it was called Snoek as it was nothing like the South African fish that is commonly available as a choice for Fish n Chips.
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - CGNorwich
Snoek sold in the war in tins was the fish, not whale. Whalemeat was also sold but was similarly not popular. Most of the tinned Snoek was eventually sold off as cat food.

Not seen any Snoek in our fish and chip shop
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 09:33
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - R.P.
According to Wiki - seems that Snoek is aka Pike - dunno for myself.
Pike?
Stupid Boy.
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - swiss tony
'Don't tell 'em your name. Pike!'
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - henry k
>> Not seen any Snoek in our fish and chip shop
>>
I missed out "Capetown" fish and chip shops. :-((

But the fish is now available
sarocks.co.za/2007/05/17/snoek-scrumptious-sustainable-and-sold-in-milton-keynes/

The wartime info

Plus a video "Dig for Victory" and some recipes.
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - Meldrew
I found this quote from someone who, like me, thought it was whale meat, and who, like me may have been wrong!

"As food was in such short supply we ate some very strange things. One day she came home with something called 'Snoek' (pronounce snook) it was a fishy thing and it was, I believe, whale meat but I could be wrong."

I recall that it was slab of something that looked like liver but firmer. As an aside, I was amazed that when I googled for snoek I was directed this post, already!
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - CGNorwich
www.woottonbridgeiow.org.uk/recipes/blog/?tag=snoek
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - Dutchie
Snoek dutch word for pike.
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - Lygonos
Quite tricky to kill whales humanely due to them being in water covered with a thick fatty layer.

We'd probably be less keen to eat beef if the cows had to be bazooka'd and left to bleed to death.

Or maybe not.

Also it's likely that some whales have a level of intelligence similar to that of higher primates and elephants so this maybe accords them some degree of immunity from being used as food.

>
>> Also it's likely that some whales have a level of intelligence similar to that of
>> higher primates and elephants so this maybe accords them some degree of immunity from being
>> used as food.

Not sure the people from the land of Nippon are too bothered about that,
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - R.P.
I love Dolphins, but can't manage a whole one these days.
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - Runfer D'Hills
Wasn't there some instance of a female swimmer in Australia being sexually harassed by a randy dolphin? Maybe I just dreamed that...Sorry...

:-)
>> I love Dolphins, but can't manage a whole one these days.

Doggy Bag!
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - Roger.
I've got a really good Basque recipe for a sort of tuna casserole: thanks for reminding me of it.
Ideal for autumn & winter as it's quite picante!
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 26 Jul 11 at 21:44
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - Armel Coussine
I don't think I would willingly eat a dolphin, although sailors used to (in the intervals between feasts of stewed albatross which they also ate happily).

I've watched wild dolphins from close above hurtling along under the bow of the admiral's barge in Trincomalee harbour, 65 years ago almost. They are charming, beautiful, playful animals.

Of course pigs, cattle, sheep and goats are similarly charming if you catch them at the right age. I guess we are just cannibals really.
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - Roger.
Doctor Lector, I presume?
 Tuna Dolphins and Whales - devonite
As this thread has finally degenerated to roughly my level !

During the war, Vera Lynn was once offered a bowl of "Snoek"(allegedly) and it so inspired her she sang about it her famous ditty..........

"Whalemeat again"

P.S
And she also thought Bluebird crashed at Dover!!
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 26 Jul 11 at 22:12
Latest Forum Posts