Non-motoring > Puzzle trivia thread Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 21

Puzzle trivia thread - Runfer D'Hills
OK - I'll start.

Assume you can throw a tennis ball at 50 mph
You are on an airliner travelling at 500 mph
You throw the ball from the back of the cabin to the front.
Was the ball doing 550 mph ?
If so, when you throw it back down the cabin was it actually doing 450 mph forwards ?
If the stewardess caught it mid flight on the way back, did it stop or did it accelerate instantly to 500 mph ?

I'm off for a bike ride now. See you later......

:-)
 Puzzle trivia thread - crocks
Was the ball doing 550 mph ? Yes, relative to the ground.

...was it actually doing 450 mph forwards ? Yes, relative to the ground.

...did it stop or did it accelerate instantly to 500 mph ? It didn't stop, relative to the ground. It accelerated to 500mph, relative to the ground, over a very short time.

Last edited by: crocks on Sun 4 Apr 10 at 12:44
 Puzzle trivia thread - -
As Crocks relative to the ground then as you described.

From the inside of the plane it has only travelled back and forth at 50mph, and probably caused someone's G & T to be spilled..criminal negligence.
 Puzzle trivia thread - rtj70
When holding the ball before throwing it, it was already doing 500mph relative to the ground. As it would be when caught.

You'll be asking about flies hovering in a train carriage next ;-)
As a motoring forum surely this should all be on a coach at 60mph on the M1.
 Puzzle trivia thread - Zero
No the coach is a national express one, someone has removed the limiter and its doing 85 MPH.
 Puzzle trivia thread - Iffy
...bike ride...

Swimming yesterday, bit of an eager beaver, aren't we Humph?

I feel tired just thinking about it.
 Puzzle trivia thread - bathtub tom
A fly going north at 10MPH hits a car going south at 70MPH. The fly's speed must go from +10MPH to -70MPH. At the point the fly's speed is 0MPH does the car stop also?
 Puzzle trivia thread - Robin O'Reliant
No.

At the point the fly is doing 0mph in a forward direction it's body mass is spreading sideways and compressing, thus not effecting the forward motion of the car.
Hmmm, all very fine and logical. Now, what effect on ground speed does the direction of travel of the aircraft in relation to the turning of the Earth on its axis have ? If for example the aeroplane was flying due east at the time of the ball being thrown what speed would it actually have achieved relative to the ground eh ?
Hmmm....

Depending on the speed surface of the Earth rotates, it might even be going backwards.
 Puzzle trivia thread - CGNorwich
About 1000 mph at the equator
>> About 1000 mph at the equator
>>
That's interesting.

So how does a plane flying at 500mph actually get anywhere, or does it wait for it's destination to catch up with it?
No planes fly exactly round the equator.

If you lived on the equator, and you wanted to fly to a place on the equator on the other side of the world, you could fly round in circles and wait for it to catch up, or fly the other way and get there twice as fast. or you could fly over the pole (either) but it would have moved by the time you got there and you would end up at home again.

Never live on the equator - you can check out any time you like but you can never leave,
 Puzzle trivia thread - Crankcase
It gets interesting when you decide the plane is travelling at the speed of light, and someone turns on the headlights. Would they project a beam?
.....and in your plane Crankcase, would the ball thrown from the back of the cabin to the front have exceeded the speed of light ?

Going for another swim now. Bike ride has made me stiff.
And if the plane was travelling at the speed of light x2, would the light beam shine backwards?
 Puzzle trivia thread - Fursty Ferret
>> It gets interesting when you decide the plane is travelling at the speed of light
>> and someone turns on the headlights. Would they project a beam?
>>

Yes. As far as the plane is concerned, it is stationary and everything is moving with the speed of light in relation to it.
My Uncle Albert had a theory about this, but I can't remember what it was.
 Puzzle trivia thread - CGNorwich
There was a young lady named Bright,
whose speed was much faster than light.
She set off one day
in a relative way,
and returned on the previous night.
 Puzzle trivia thread - Pat
Why do wheels that are obviously going forwards appear to stop and start going backwards?

Is it because my eyes and my brain can't go any faster?

Pat
Its the stroboscopic effect. The film or tv you see has a refresh rate (flicker) when the refresh rate comes close to the revolutions of the wheel the effect is to make it seem to stop or revolve slowly in either direction.

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 10:50
Latest Forum Posts