Non-motoring > Fungus in France - autumn comes in August Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 7

Fungus in France - autumn comes in August - Mike Hannon
Couldn't resist boasting about these - they are cepes de Bordeaux, the second-most sought-after fungus in France (after the black truffle) and we found them in a secret spot near our house!
We've handed some out to the neighbours in the hope they won't be watching our every move in future.
Now for the olive oil and rock salt...

www.flickr.com/photos/64660965@N03/6001531691/in/photostream
 Fungus in France - autumn comes in August - Skoda
What do they taste like though? I tried truffle shavings and wasn't that impressed. Uncultured Lanarkshire palate i guess.
 Fungus in France - autumn comes in August - Meldrew
Look good! May an Englishman enquire how these are cooked and eaten? When I lived in the Inverness area the locals used to go out and collect some sort of fungi which were sufficiently costly and in demand that it was worth hiring a light aircraft to deliver them to France.
 Fungus in France - autumn comes in August - Mike Hannon
We are being supplied with cooking recipes as I speak but the tops are very nice when raw and very fresh, sliced very thinly with olive oil and a little salt.
 Fungus in France - autumn comes in August - MD
How much for the tablecloth Mike? (o:-:o)
 Fungus in France - autumn comes in August - Mapmaker
>>in the Inverness area the locals used to go out and collect some sort of fungi

Chanterelles? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanterelle grow well up there in birch woods when the weather is damp.
 Fungus in France - autumn comes in August - Meldrew
That rings a bell! What surprises me, a bit, is that they weren't eaten in Scotland but were in demand and expensive in La Belle France.
 Fungus in France - autumn comes in August - bathtub tom
Friends on the Welsh borders get inundated every year with a certain type of characters looking for 'magic mushrooms'.
Latest Forum Posts