Non-motoring > A new dotcom bubble? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 22

A new dotcom bubble? - Iffy
Twitter is valued today at 10 billion dollars.

But it's making a loss.

Facebook is valued at 50 billion dollars.

www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/10/twitter-valued-at-10-billion-dollars
 A new dotcom bubble? - Meldrew
It depends who is doing the "Valuing". I use Facebook but they don't make any money from me and I wouldn't miss it if it disappeared. They are worth nothing at all to me personally.
 A new dotcom bubble? - Runfer D'Hills
I have no desire to face-tweet or twit-book anyone or indeed have it done to me. It can dissolve into thin air for all I care.
 A new dotcom bubble? - Robin O'Reliant
Anyone who pays those sort of prices for either FB or Twitter must be mad. Like all social network sites (see Friends Reunited) they are only five minute wonders which will crash in value when something better comes along.
 A new dotcom bubble? - Manatee
>> I have no desire to face-tweet or twit-book anyone or indeed have it done to
>> me. It can dissolve into thin air for all I care.
>>

Me neither, but I have adapted quite well to the telling bone thing and even to electronic mail.

You wouldn't bet the farm on the value going up from there would you? Illustrating RR's point, Myspace was bought by News Corp for c. €300m in 2005, was valued at €12bn in 2007, and more recently at c €50m. when it was sold.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 2 Aug 11 at 19:42
 A new dotcom bubble? - SteelSpark
I personally wouldn't touch any of these stocks with a bargepole.

The last I heard was that Facebook was actually trading at a price that would give it a market value of $70bn. People are paying this when there is very little financial information available.

LinkedIn currently has a market cap of almost $10bn.

The biggest problem, as already mentioned, is barrier to entry. These firms rely on having built up a large proportion of users, but they can disappear quickly.

It might seem impossible to think that somebody could overtake Facebook, but the just look at MySpace, recently sold off for a massive loss.

I'd be intrigued to see if Google+ can take hold.

A new dotcom bubble? - Suppose
>> Twitter is valued today at 10 billion dollars.
>>
>> But it's making a loss.
>>
>> Facebook is valued at 50 billion dollars.
>>
>> www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/10/twitter-valued-at-10-billion-dollars
>>

The whole world is living in a Ponzi bubble, with the US blown up the most ahead of Europe in a never ending spiral of more borrowings to fund more borrowings to fund unsustainable lifestyles - with poor suckers such as starving Turkana people at the bottom of the pile. The 60s, 70s, and 80s generations in the West had the best of it all but the financial pain of all the Ponzi bubble bursting will be felt in the next few decades by those born after the 90s.

The Guardian itself is at risk of imploding, according to reports today:
" The Guardian Media Group has blamed government advertising cuts for falling revenues. Income for the Guardian Media Group .... The Guardian newspaper operation saw revenue £22.8m lower than last year, at £198.2m, with losses of £38.3m, "

A new dotcom bubble? - Manatee
We'rre all doomed, doomed Ah tell ye!
 A new dotcom bubble? - movilogo
I still could not understand what is so special about Tweeter.

Was somewhat active in Facebook for sometime then lost interest.

Social Media bubble will burst soon.

A new dotcom bubble? - CGNorwich
Anyone seen the film "The Social Network"? Tells the story of Mark Zuckerburg the founder of Facebook. Well worth a watch.
 A new dotcom bubble? - rtj70
Terrible film - gave up watching.
 A new dotcom bubble? - R.P.
A singularly pointless film, who gives a fig ? Not me, I use FB but care little if anything how it came about...!
 A new dotcom bubble? - rtj70
Pointless aside - it is still a poor film. And overly long too. Not that we watched much of it. Didn't pay to rent it as got for free from the local library. And the main character spoke very quickly and could be hard to follow.

How it got nominated for anything I have no idea.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 2 Aug 11 at 23:09
 A new dotcom bubble? - Dutchie
I would like to see the telecom shares to go up.Just a gut feeling I think they will.
 A new dotcom bubble? - bathtub tom
A facebook site was set up when my daughter got married specifically for everyone to post photos they'd taken. It meant everyone could see everyone else's photos and let's face it, who still uses film?

One person downloaded their pictures to CD, which they posted to me to upload.
 A new dotcom bubble? - Roger.
I use Facebook, but by judicious use of scripts, I manage never to see any advertisements, or requests, or suggestions: I never play any of their games (applications requesting permission to access my details - no flipping way!).
They make not a penny from me.
Neither does Google, as I block its snooping and reporting back on browsing habits by an appropriate Firefox add-on "optimise Google".

A terrible film? One of the best films of 2010 in my humble opinion. I guess we all have our own views but did score 96% on "Rotten Tomatoes" which aggregates critical reviews so at least I am not in the minority. The Daily Mail gave it 5 stars.

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1320630/The-Social-Network--story-Facebook-founder-Mark-Zuckerberg--Citizen-Kane-internet-generation.html
 A new dotcom bubble? - Crankcase
Depends if you like or loathe Sorkin perhaps - very divided opinion.

I'm of the feeling that programmes such as The West Wing and Studio 60 were amongst the shining stars of television over the past decade, but if you don't "get it" then you wouldn't like them at all.
 A new dotcom bubble? - Tigger
Twitter and facebook are all about the 'me' generation. We've got a society which is obsessed with celebrity, and people expecting the world to revolve around them. This manifests itself in them wanting child-like gratification ('likes') each time they post something.

I'm continually stunned by the amount of personal information which people put online - real dates of birth, etc. Especially given facebook's record in opening it to the public. Working with teenagers, I've seen FB used for some horrible bullying.

I only use facebook because a charity I help to run uses it as a good way of communicating with its team. Otherwise I'd be deleting my account.
Last edited by: Tigger on Wed 3 Aug 11 at 09:10
A Few Good Men probably his best film prior to "The Social Network" The West Wing was extremely good TV.

Don't think you have to be interested in Facebook to enjoy the film. It is basically about someone so lacking in social skills that he is verging on autistic and he has to invent a system that will provide himself with a social life. Has some very funny moments. His calling card reflect the problems he has with women.

media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcnlosDNZu1qay2lu.jpg

Fantastic perfomance by Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg.

A new dotcom bubble? - Lygonos
I thought "Zombieland" with the aforementioned Mr Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson was a particularly fine zombie-comedy flick.
Not seen it

Have just added it to my list at Love Films.
 A new dotcom bubble? - SteelSpark
Wow, LinkedIn posted a profit of $4.5 million for Q2.

Pretty good for a company with a market cap of $9bn, and gives them a not too taxing P/E ratio of 500. :)

Oh, and analysts are idiots.
Latest Forum Posts