Non-motoring > Giving up work to care for relative Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 5

Giving up work to care for relative - Stuu
I couldnt make head nor tail of the government website.

My nan has potentially tipped the edge of needing somewhat more care than previously, to the extent that it would be useful for my mum to give up work to care for her, my dad isnt really capable himself, he isnt that much younger than my nan.

Anyone have any idea if there is enough financial support available to do this?

The carers allowance is £55 a week which is obviously a pitance for anyone to live on so I wondered if anyone knew what other help is available, I imagine you would need personal experience of it because there are so many benefits, I couldnt really see where to start.

I also wondered whether my mum would be the one eligable for the money or whether my nans decreased abilities would mean it was she who got extra money and she would essentially 'employ' my mum. She already gets DLA at a reasonably high rate.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.
 Giving up work to care for relative - Stuartli
The latest information can be found at:

www.carersnet.org.uk/benefits/welfarerightsbook.pdf

www.seniorsnetwork.co.uk/carers/carerallowances.htm

It could be that if your Nan has difficulty with mobility she may also be eligible for a Blue Badge.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 3 Aug 11 at 20:56
 Giving up work to care for relative - R.P.
Your best bet is to phone the CAB, and to make an appointment for a benefit check.

CAB use this website as a basic self help thing.

www.turn2us.org.uk/

CAB will also help to fill out a Disability Living Allowance application form.

Giving up work to care for relative - Stuartli
>>CAB will also help to fill out a Disability Living Allowance application form.>>

Such forms, including the Attendance Allowance, are a bind to fill in....
 Giving up work to care for relative - R.P.
CAB routinely book double appointments to fill the DLAs out - 90 minutes..!
 Giving up work to care for relative - Cliff Pope
The person being cared for can get an allowance, and the person doing the caring gets a carer's allowance. They don't pays remotely close to the income lost from giving up a job.

It's worth getting Help the Aged to come and do an assessment and fill out the forms for you. They know all the dodges, things to say, etc, and seem to have a hotline to the DWP to speed things up.
Latest Forum Posts