Non-motoring > Anyone for Turkey? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 14

Anyone for Turkey? - legacylad
Neither cold nor the Thanksgiving variety....
I am considering a week in late September, purely as a relaxing holiday for SWMBO who constantly works flat out. We normally 'do' active holidays...city breaks, skiing, touring in a hire car, and an inactive holiday would be a first.
We prefer quiet, so larger resorts are out.
Does anyone have any feedback, positive or otherwise, on a beach holiday there?
We would not bother with car hire, as my unread library is full to overflowing.
Thank you.
 Anyone for Turkey? - CGNorwich
We were very impressed with Dalyan. It's a smallish town and is actually a mile or so inland on a river. To access the beach you can travel down the river on a water taxi or by Dolmus.
The journey down the river through the papyrus reeds is an experience in itself.

The beach itself, two miles of white sand, is one of the finest in Europe and is home to marine turtle and so is a protected area and has remained unspoiled. The town itself itself has a Turkish feel about it although it is full of all sorts of restaurants and bars. Nearby mud baths are worth a visit

Easy to spend a week there and no need for car. Also not far from Dalaman airport so no long transfer.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 4 Aug 11 at 00:05
 Anyone for Turkey? - Pat
I can second that CG, Dalyan is beautiful and far enough away from the major tourist spots.

The river trip is one not to be missed wherever you stay.

It was too hot for me to ever go back again though!

Pat
 Anyone for Turkey? - Dave
There's a little old cottage near me for rent. No phone or tv, pump your own water, short walk to the lake with a free boat, and the nearest neighbour has made one of his barns into his own pub (but only whisky available, and by invitation only). But it's next to the track to the lake, so on a busy weekend there'll be 2 or 3 cars passing by.
 Anyone for Turkey? - Cliff Pope
If Turkey doesn't hurry up and join the EU it's going to miss out on all the bail-outs.
 Anyone for Turkey? - Meldrew
Travel Agents should have some cracking "Late Deals". There are ten of thousands of package holiday going begging right now

If you feel like going in a friends and family group check this out!!!
www.villa-toros.co.uk/index1.html
Kalkan is nice but its very hilly, Hard work getting around when its really hot
 Anyone for Turkey? - Meldrew
All inclusive late booking here
tinyurl.com/3mfsqqt
 Anyone for Turkey? - Cockle
>> If Turkey doesn't hurry up and join the EU it's going to miss out on
>> all the bail-outs.
>>

Not so sure they'd need it, Cliff.

Turkey is now the 15th largest economy in the OECD and has an average growth rate of over 6% per annum since 2002, grew just over 8% last year. I was out there recently and the thing that seems to concern them most is that the Europeans won't be able to afford to go there because of the state of the Eurozone and Sterling.
I get the impression they're far more interested in getting into the EU to get tariff free access to the market, which must be getting less attractive by each day the liquidity situation gets worse .......
 Anyone for Turkey? - Roger.
>> >> If Turkey doesn't hurry up and join the EU it's going to miss out
>> on
>> >> all the bail-outs.

>> I get the impression they're far more interested in getting into the EU to get
>> tariff free access to the market, ..
Plus access to the gravy train known as the U.K.
 Anyone for Turkey? - Zero
I think they are more interested in the gravy train known as Germany.

Anyone for Turkey? - Dutchie
Whats up Roger you'r not European should't bother you.:)
I think we proved he's African ;-0
 Anyone for Turkey? - legacylad
In the pub tonight just been invited to join 5 friends on a bare boat charter sailing out of FW early Sept. £25 per day, excluding food, booze & sickbags.
Gorgeous scenic anchorages on the W coast of Jockland, but midges and porridge aplenty.
hmmm.
Decisions, decisions.
 Anyone for Turkey? - Runfer D'Hills
Do it legacylad. Years ago I used to crew for a guy who had a yacht on the west coast. Stunning. You'll love it.
Latest Forum Posts