Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 9

Private enterprise stifled again... - Mike Hannon
tinyurl.com/3fznddw

Private enterprise stifled again... - madf
My kitchen glows in the dark..
 Private enterprise stifled again... - SteelSpark
Reminded me of this story

www.bbc.co.uk/news/10385853

although there is obviously quite a big difference between building a fusion reactor and a fission one.

I wonder where he got his uranium. Is it used in any kind of medical context?
 Private enterprise stifled again... - Mapmaker
The traditional source of radioactive material is the radium from the luminous dials of old watches. I seem to recall a schoolboy with radiation burns and a pile of dead watches from which he had scraped the paint.

Although they probably no longer glow, it is because the zinc sulphide has worn out through over-radiation. Radium has a half life of over 1,000 years.
 Private enterprise stifled again... - R.P.
Isn't there some issue with all the surplus aircraft instruments they dumped in the Irish Sea after WW2....? Seemed to recall reading seeing something.
 Private enterprise stifled again... - bathtub tom
BT got its wrist slapped for dumping too many trimphones in one place, they used to glow in the dark as well: tinyurl.com/3znxkxl
 Private enterprise stifled again... - Old Navy
>>Isn't there some issue with all the surplus aircraft instruments they dumped in the Irish Sea after WW2....? Seemed to recall reading seeing something. >>

No, Scotland.

www.heraldscotland.com/news/transport-environment/visitors-at-risk-as-mod-stops-radiation-monitoring-at-resort-1.1058866
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 4 Aug 11 at 14:45
 Private enterprise stifled again... - Mike Hannon
When I was a kid there was a disused factory in our little town that we were told never to go near. It had been used during WW2 for making aircraft instruments and was supposedly 'radioactive'.
Inevitably we did go there of course and eventually my friend's family garage took it over as a tractor workshop. None of us has ever glowed since to my knowledge.
 Private enterprise stifled again... - SteelSpark
>> When I was a kid there was a disused factory in our little town that
>> we were told never to go near. It had been used during WW2 for making
>> aircraft instruments and was supposedly 'radioactive'.
>> Inevitably we did go there of course

Moral of the tale is, if you want kids to stay away from somewhere, whatever you do, don't tell them it's radioactive.

Tell them it's full of maths textbook, or something similar.
 Private enterprise stifled again... - Zero
Yeah,

"Dont play on the railway, its dangeous." So we did.

"DOnt climb pylons" - Ditto

"Dont play near the river" Always came back wet, never been near the river of course.
Latest Forum Posts