Non-motoring > sealant for brickwork Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Diamond Replies: 8

sealant for brickwork - Diamond
My brick porch/garage over the years has come away slightly from the house,leaving a crack about a quarter of an inch all the way down. It hasn't got worse and I'm not worried that it is subsidence or anything like that.

What I want to do though is seal the crack with some sort of flexible sealent. I have seen brickwork seams joined with some sort of quite hard rubber type material and I'm wondering what this stuff would be called.

Any suggestions??
 sealant for brickwork - VxFan
tinyurl.com/3rx36ew
 sealant for brickwork - sherlock47
I think that you would be better off with something similar to
www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-builders-silicone-brown-310ml/24384
or
www.screwfix.com/p/the-works-sealant-adhesive-brown-290ml/58182

Although you have said that the gap is stabilised, I would expect some differentail movement, hence a flexible mastic is required.

Wait for a suitable professional reply Martin Devon??????

Dont forget to buy a mastic gun at the same time!

sealant for brickwork - Zero
Diamond, how about a picture of the gap and or the whole picture. You say its stabilised, but that may just be a temporary thing, it could start on its journey again. I would want a pro to look at the cause.
 sealant for brickwork - Fenlander
Folks worry too much about cracks... if you'd ever lived on the ever-flexible fen you'd be happy as long as you can't get you whole hand between the bricks.
 sealant for brickwork - Zero
if you'd ever lived on the ever-flexible fen you'd

"Did the earth move for you dear?"
 sealant for brickwork - bathtub tom
>>"Did the earth move for you dear?"

Nah. It was just Pat driving past in a forty tonner. ;>)
 sealant for brickwork - lancara
The time to get worried:

www.sedgleymanor.com/historical/crooked_house.html
 sealant for brickwork - Cliff Pope

The difficulty with trying to seal a small crack is that you can't really get anything inside. What about sealing it with the flexible stuff but leaving strategic gaps every foot or so and giving a squirt with expanding foam into the holes and then plugging them before it goes off?
Latest Forum Posts