Non-motoring > Is this a scam? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 36

Is this a scam? - Dog
I just received a phone call from an Indian woman saying that I am at risk of losing files and documents on my computer and if I press the windows flag key + R ... that is where I ended the call, what would the result be (I wonder) if I had complied with her 'advice'.
 Is this a scam? - Dog
OK ~ tinyurl.com/3tbzrjz
 Is this a scam? - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah I've had a couple of these. I said, " How do you know?" They usually say something like, "We can tell" So I say, "Oh okay could I please have your head office address? I think there will be some official interest in your company if you have been hacking into people's private computers don't you?" Call ends...

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 20 Aug 11 at 12:37
 Is this a scam? - Dog
I was reading wiki's entry on Karl Marx at the time Humph D, so I was annoyed with the call tbh,
plus I couldn't really understand what she was saying :)
 Is this a scam? - Stuartli
Apparently anyone who falls for this scam eventually ends up with a bill for £138 - that's just for reading the Errors file which, unsurprisingly, always includes some errors...:-)
 Is this a scam? - Zero
how do they recover payment? I doubt anyone is daft enough to give a credit card over the phone? or are they?
 Is this a scam? - Dog
>>I doubt anyone is daft enough to give a credit card over the phone? or are they?<<

There is one born every minute, I hear.
 Is this a scam? - RattleandSmoke
It is a scam and getting very fed up of it all. I don't know how people can think for one minute it is genuine. I think people just let logic go out of the window where technology is concerned and think it is all black magic.
 Is this a scam? - DP
"I don't own a computer" is usually a good way to stop them in their tracks. Or the age old trick of putting the receiver down and carrying on with whatever you were doing until they get bored and hang up.
 Is this a scam? - Stuartli
>>or are they?>>

Been two or three examples in my area in recent months. Enough to warrant a piece in the local paper...

People who are not computer savvy are presumably those who get caught out.
 Is this a scam? - Dog
>>People who are not computer savvy are presumably those who get caught out<<

Quite correct! ... SWMBO pointed out that with some people, their computer is a lifeline to the world,

Autistic (spectrum) folk in particular may not be able to spot an obvious (to us) scam.
 Is this a scam? - VxFan
>> I just received a phone call from an Indian woman
>> and if I press the windows flag key + R ...

I had a similar call today asking me to press F5. It was a refreshing experience.
 Is this a scam? - madf
Since lots of people are dumb enough to believe that paying $40,000 will get you $12 million form someone who has died /been murdered in Nigeria, I think this scam will work ..

After all politicians promise something for nothing and millions believe them so at least 25% of the UK electorate is stupid.. If you phone them all up, you are bound to find some of the dumb ones...
Last edited by: madf on Sat 20 Aug 11 at 16:26
 Is this a scam? - teabelly
If you want to the dumbest, just find the ones that watch Big Brother!
 Is this a scam? - Robin O'Reliant
>> If you want to the dumbest, just find the ones that watch Big Brother!
>>
Phew, I'm glad you never said Jeremy Kyle.
 Is this a scam? - Roger.
If you want the REALLY dumb ones look at the current crop IN the B.B. "house".
 Is this a scam? - Dog
Talking of dumb ... I know an upcountry mug who lives in Cornwall, drives a Lancer estate (you know the type!)

He had his chimney swept and the sweep asked him to go outside and shout when he see's the brush exit the chimney top,

Upcountry mug hasn't been able to find his Sennheiser PX 100's or his Sansa Fuse MP3 player since!

Is this a scam? - rtj70
At least the mug didn't lose an iPhone. Or anything else.
 Is this a scam? - Dog
>>At least the mug didn't lose an iPhone. Or anything else<<

That's right! - The PX 100's had had it anyway, and I (he) only used the MP3 player for the radio,

If it had been my (his) wife's new ipod, it would be a totally different outcome ;}
 Is this a scam? - devonite
can this "upcountry mug" not find the Sweep either? - and give him the choice of returning said items or going outside himself, to pick up his teeth! - thieving gits, I hate `em!
 Is this a scam? - Dog
>>thieving gits, I hate `em!<<

In a way, I feel a sort of sympathy for him - he comes into my house, drinks my coffee, and steals from me!

I do know where he lives and if he knew my background he wouldn't sleep soundly at nights,
but I look at it as a sort of insurance premium that I've had to pay out, an insurance that I wont lower my guard again.

:)
 Is this a scam? - Ted

I got 4 of these Asian voiced callers before lunch today. I was annoyed 'cos I was doing some fairly intricate wiring on the car/caravan. The first two were told to go away. The third was from Gritish Bas...she launched into a long, long spiel about something, I didn't feel rude enough to interrupt so I put my thumb over the mouthpiece hole and listened. She eventually finished, called out my name, then ' hello ' three or four times then rang off.

The last was 'Microsoft '...I was a tad strumpy by then so I asked him why he thought his time was more valuable than mine and told him to eff off and annoy someone else.

I used a good one a few weeks ago...I politely said I couldn't speak at the moment as I was waiting for the undertaker to arrive........that stopped her straight away !

Ted
 Is this a scam? - Chris S
>> I just received a phone call from an Indian woman saying that I am at
>> risk of losing files and documents on my computer and if I press the windows
>> flag key + R ... that is where I ended the call, what would the
>> result be (I wonder) if I had complied with her 'advice'.
>>

Yes - a colleague of mine had one of these. They tried to get him to give various logon and security details so they could hijack his PC.
 Is this a scam? - Dog
I'm ready for them next time, I'll let them go through their scam, then ask them to wait while I find my eyes,

I'll press the secrecy button on my phone, and let them stew in their own lies.
 Is this a scam? - MD
We keep getting (on the land line) 'text' messages from the same mobile number. Getting on our bits now.
 Is this a scam? - Dog
>>Upcountry mug hasn't been able to find his Sennheiser PX 100's or his Sansa Fuse MP3 player since<<

I have a confession to make :(

I was only 99.9% sure that the chimney sweep had taken my headphones and MP3 player,

I would not have convicted him in a court of law, as I didn't see him take them,

I have not seen the items since he was here 6 weeks ago,

but I have now! I went to get the car service history book from the glove compartment, and ...!
 Is this a scam? - RattleandSmoke
Just the perfect excuse to replace them with the PX100 MK2s! I've only got two pairs of PX100s, I have lots of headphones as I am a headfophile and although the PX100 sound in many ways is flawed they impress me the most on portable players. They really sing with MP3 player, they are a genius design.

I use Grado SR60s and Goldring DR150s as my main sets though. The Grados need a new cable and I am still unable to heat the phones enough to melt the clue to get to the tranducers :(
 Is this a scam? - Dog
>>Just the perfect excuse to replace them with the PX100 MK2s!<<

I was considering the MK2's, but I'd read that they were not as good as the MK1's,

I also considered your excellent Grado's, but I didn't want to pay more than about £50, so I ended up witha pair of Sony MDR-V500's - they are better sounding than the PX 100's, but a tad heavy, they'll do for now though.
£50 for headphones!! surely any headphones are only as good as your ears! likewise with HD TV, if you`ve only got mediocre eyes, keep the extra cash in your pocket!!
 Is this a scam? - Dog
Go on - treat yourself devonike, you only live twice!

www.amazon.co.uk/Grado-GS1000i-Flagship-Headphones/dp/B003UMBBFS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1314083903&sr=8-9
?Yoicks!! - make my Mikomi (£4.85 from Argos) look sad, but they will still sound the same to a deaf person! (which i almost am ;-) )
 Is this a scam? - Dog
>>but they will still sound the same to a deaf person! (which i almost am ;-) )<<

Especially when it comes to your round hey!

:-D
 Is this a scam? - DP
Just had one of these calls right now. "Frank" from Microsoft!

Strung the guy along for a good 5 minutes. Then told him to give up as I knew exactly what he was up to. At that point, he started calling me "a pfd" and told me to "pfd off!"

"Right back at you, Frank!" and hung up.

LOL. Passed 5 mins on an otherwise dull evening. :-)

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 26 Aug 11 at 01:50
 Is this a scam? - spamcan61
>>
>> LOL. Passed 5 mins on an otherwise dull evening. :-)
>>
I do this myself now and again, on the basis that whilst they're wasting time talking to me they're not scamming some gullible soul.
 Is this a scam? - henry k
SWMBO answered one such call today.
She told him we had already had our windows changed.
He would not accept that she did not have a PC but eventually started to turn abusive...CLIK.
 Is this a scam? - sherlock47
Just wait for the call at 01 15, tomorrow at 03.15, Saturday at 05.15 ...........
Last edited by: pmh on Thu 25 Aug 11 at 21:13
 Is this a scam? - Ted

Got one at dinner time...pleasant enough girl offering me a place in a raffle if I answered a couple of questions.
The prize was a new kitchen...told her I'd just fitted one about 2 yrs ago and she lost interest in me.

Put the phone down and it rang straight away....ghost call, no-one there !

They must all know we eat at 7 o'clock !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts