Non-motoring > Microwave advice please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 21

Microwave advice please - MD
Good Evening all,

Never having had much to do with microwaves before please advise. Panasonic all singing and dancing and apparently has a super defrost system. I am doubtful, but more knowledgeable folk will advise. How long to defrost 2 Rib eye steaks 400 grams and will they start to cook. Help.......
 Microwave advice please - Meldrew
My Microwave says 8 minutes to defrost 400 gms of meat and it won't start to cook.
Well just munched it Mr. Meldrew. It was fine to be sure. I have a minor recollection from years ago of a M/W 'cooking' as it defrosted, but not tonight.

We have rarely had such a machine in the house as we (I) felt it quite unnecessary given a stout upright Women in the Kitchen instead. You know the kind, square toed shoes of course so she could stand closer to the appliances.

I am sure they are most efficient now (the machines), but years ago a chap who had a Cafe adjacent Thiefrow allegedly cooked his Kidneys by having one on the counter behind where he served. Who knows. He died anyway so it must be true.

(!o-o!)
 Microwave advice please - FocalPoint
Hang on! You can't assume microwaves are all the same - for a start it all depends on the power (usually marked in watts on the front somewhere). AFAIK, the microwave "reduces" the power for defrost programs by simply cycling itself on and off and the more powerfully-rated ones (in my experience) WILL start to cook stuff if you're not careful. I've got a 950w one and it's a bit of a beast, to be honest.
Too late. See above. Ours is 1000w ner ner. I am now a MicroWAVE expert..........on the defrost cycle anyway.

(0--0) haha
 Microwave advice please - Focusless
I think 'defrost' power is typically 30% (eg. 3 secs on, 7 secs off) and this page sort of backs that up:
www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/microwave_ovens_and_food_safety/index.asp#9

However IIRC we used to have a microwave that had a defrost programme which did a short initial period at 100%, then a longer period at lower power (might have been 30%) followed by another period at 0% (just rotating, no heating).
Anyway......BOTH Ribeyes were consumed (Moi) avec 'stuff' in a one pan cook. Had to force some Van (sic) Rouge into the system as lubrication and I'm sure the more mature members will understand.

For more microwave recipes contact..www.......................
 Microwave advice please - Mapmaker
Steak doesn't freeze very well - eat within a month or so.

Steak doesn't defrost in the microwave very well either.

For defrosting meat, I find that a microwave will cook the meat whilst the inside is still frozen whatever setting you use. The Mapmaker manual method would be: 2 minutes on 50%, and inspect, assuming there is no hint of warming probably another minute on 50%. Leave to stand for 10 minutes. 2 minutes on defrost and maybe another minute. Leave for another 10 mintues. 1 minute on defrost, inspect possibly another 30 seconds. Leave 10 minutes another minute, should be ready.

For defrosting a joint, 5 minutes on defrost when you first get it out of the freezer. Then leave it to defrost naturally for a few hours.
 Microwave advice please - Bromptonaut
Agree with Mapmaker. The microwave can help speed defrosting but only to a point. The stand time is as important as the time in the oven.

Fish is even easier to cook at low power, indeed there is a school of thought that suggests defrost as best for an evenly cooked haddock or cod fillet.
 Microwave advice please - Number_Cruncher
>>Panasonic all singing and dancing ...

If it's anything like our Panasonic, it can do an amazing job of a baked spud using the "Pana-cruch" settings and pan. I was very wary the first time we tried it, but, it actually works well, and is very quick.
>all singing and all dancing

Leave them well alone. They have minds of their own and don't stick to their brief. My favourite microwave is a Tescos value (or similar - the TV ones have shrunk in size) with two mechanical dials for timing and power.
 Microwave advice please - Iffy
...with two mechanical dials for timing and power...

That's my choice as well.

All the programmable programmes, clocks and electronic buttons are a waste of space.

Bit like washing machines. :)

Microwave advice please - Zero
My main electric oven has a very good and efficent defrost setting. All it does is turn on the recirculation fan - no heat. Works suprisingly well, and speedily enough to be worth while.
I fail to see how any competent cook needs an electronic programme to defrost a piece of meat.

If you have so little understanding of how the microwave applies heat, you shouldn't be using the damn thing.

Microwave advice please - Pat
Mines got one of those....but I'm too scared to use it:)

Pat
 Microwave advice please - Zero
It wont defrost food in tins...
...It wont defrost food in tins...

Or boil an egg.

Microwave advice please - WillDeBeest
Previous keypad-operated Panasonic ran flawlessly for years. We replaced it this year with a new NN-CT559W (for White) combi because we wanted a simple oven with a timer to complement our new, timerless main ovens. I'm impressed by its ability to bake four potatoes to acceptable crispness and fluffiness in 20 minutes - more so because we can time them to be ready when we come in from a walk.

It also has what Panasonic calls 'Chaos Defrost' and an 'Inverter'. Not sure what this means but it does seem to have the effect of running continuously at lower power rather than cycling on and off. Since we never cook anything more demanding than frozen peas on microwave power alone, I can't really comment on that, but it is useful for warming the teapot.

As for defrosting, you can do that in seconds under the cold tap, but the meat won't be safe to cook. You need to thaw it for that. Surprised Iffy hasn't got there before me.
};---)
>>you can do that in seconds under the cold tap, but the meat won't be safe to cook. You need to thaw it for that.

???

And how does thawing differ from defrosting?
 Microwave advice please - Manatee
In the jocular world of WdB, defrosting is getting the frost off the outside...?
Despite the views of the experts here our new Panasonic doofer did thaw 2 conjoined rib-eyes without the merest hint of cooking. I was much impressed for a former hater of such electrickery. Doffs hat to Catweasel.
 Microwave advice please - swiss tony
>>Doffs hat to Catweasel.
>>

Tach, Nuffink works!
Latest Forum Posts