Non-motoring > Cooker Recommendations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 14

Cooker Recommendations - Clk Sec
I thought I might as well jump on the current white goods bandwagon by asking for recommendations for a new electric freestanding double oven to replace our ageing 900mm x 600mm Creda.

The wife said that Zanussi came out well in a Which report that she read recently.

Thanks.

Clk Sec
 Cooker Recommendations - Dog
>>The wife said that Zanussi came out well in a Which report that she read recently<<

I'm with 'The Wife' (if you know what I mean)

:)
 Cooker Recommendations - Alanovich
I'd be inclined to not worry about the brand and just go to John Lewis and get whatever you like the look of most/seems to be the best deal.

Oh, and if anything comes with an induction hob, get it. I've just had one installed and it's the most wondrous thing I've ever had in the kitchen. As controllable as gas, much quicker to heat things up, and a piece of cake to clean. Wonderful, will never have any other kind again. (But you do need cast iron or stanless steel cookware).
 Cooker Recommendations - Cliff Pope
I get excellent results from my 1935 Radiation New World:

tinyurl.com/3njaban

It is wearing well and is easy to clean as all the oven panels lift out.
 Cooker Recommendations - Roger.
Cheapo BEKO?
When we were on the point of moving here, I joined Which? on-line for their £1 trial period so I could check out what's a'foot Re: white goods etc.

The list included a Zanussi cooker picked as a best buy in Which?, and ISTR Hotpoint was a goer as well.

In the end we bought the previous owners Canon dual fuel cooker, Beko 1200 RPM washer, and a Whirlpool 6kg tumbler, so that saved a lot of faffing about.
 Cooker Recommendations - Robin O'Reliant
There are things in this thread that no bloke should know.
 Cooker Recommendations - Zero
Real Blokes that is!
 Cooker Recommendations - R.P.
Sort of a female Masonic ritual...!
 Cooker Recommendations - NortonES2
As I do nearly all the cooking here, I'm quite interested. Especially the induction hob. When we ever get the planning for a new kitchen sorted, one of those is high on the list. Think I'm allergic (rhinitis?) to gas hobs. I draw the line at washing up and other tidying tasks though. SWMBO is allowed back in then:)
 Cooker Recommendations - R.P.
I cook, most times it's enjoyable...no expert though.
 Cooker Recommendations - Roger.
I always do the curries, chillis, Chinese, Bol sauce, Cottage Pie, and the Spanish stuff SWMBO says is too greasy (Patatas a lo Pobre = Heaven).
We share the cooking of most roasts etc. Tonight I did a very passable onion gravy to go with the bangers & mash!
SWMBO does the fancy stuff like bread, cakes, scones,puds., jams & marmalade, piccalilli, chutneys and so on.
Not really on topic, but I was watching a program about waste and was flabbergasted at how much perfectly good food is thrown away. Sometimes we may have some stale bread to feed the ducks, but I guess our main waste is prepared salad leaves, which generally are too big for two people's one meal. Switched to ordinary cos type lettuce now; keeps better!
We both abhor waste and hate throwing out food - probably due to a wartime childhood.
Unfortunately the corollary of this seems to be expanding waistlines!

Last edited by: Roger on Thu 25 Aug 11 at 23:39
 Cooker Recommendations - Iffy
All cookers vary a little, and you won't really know the new one until you've lived with it for a month or two.

One thing I would avoid is a smoked glass lid, the Stoves cooker in the caravan has one and it's near impossible to keep free of finger and other marks.

The lid of the much older cooker in Iffy Towers is textured/frosted, and wipes clean easily.

>>Tonight I did a very passable onion gravy to go with the bangers & mash!<<

Cor, that takes me back a bit - s.p.o we used to call it = sossidges, potatoes & onions ... yum!
 Cooker Recommendations - Clk Sec
It looks like the wife will settle for the Zanussi at well under half of what we paid for our old Creda many moons ago. We've had one of their washing machines in the past, and that turned out to be a good buy.

Thanks for the responses.
Latest Forum Posts