Non-motoring > Wage deductions Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 27

Wage deductions - BobbyG
Daughter has applied for a million jobs and has been offered one at McDonalds, just as the interviews seem to be coming in for other companies as well.

Anyway at her induction today she was given the list of what not to dos, she will be sent home if she doesnt have
black socks
sensible shoes
name badge
pen
washed uniform etc etc

they also covered the cashing of the till and if your till is more than £2 out, it will be deducted from her wages. One girl last week suffered a till grab while her till was open, they got away with £118 and she must pay it back?

Is this legal?

I know in my supermarket days, this was never ever done.

Interestingly, she has just turned 17, this is her first ever job, but after getting her psyched up for entering the big bad world, she told me that it was like being back in primary school the way they were spoken to.

Thoughts?
 Wage deductions - R.P.
If there is a cash shortage or missing stock due, for example, to theft by a worker or customer, your employer is allowed to make a deduction from your wages under certain circumstances. Your employer must make the deduction within a year of discovering the shortage, and must explain the reasons for the deduction to you in writing. The deduction cannot be more than 10% of your gross pay (that is, your pay before tax has been deducted), on any single pay day. If there is a larger amount to be repaid, your employer can carry the balance over until your next pay day, but can never deduct more than 10% on each pay day. They can continue to do this until the full amount has been repaid.

Above from the CAB adviseguide pages.
 Wage deductions - R.P.
As it happens my student nephew was sent at gun-point for a job at McD's over the summer hols. He enjoys it, despite it being work...!
 Wage deductions - teabelly
And any deductions made cannot drop an employee below the minimum wage. So if they only pay minimum wage they cannot legally make any deductions at all!
 Wage deductions - BobbyG
Rob, surely if it was theft the employee would be sacked? How can they be punished for just making a mistake with giving someone their wrong change?

In the supermarkets we would monitor losses and maybe take disciplinary action if they got too high but repaying would never be an option.

What if their till is a plus, are they allowed to keep it??
 Wage deductions - Bromptonaut
Miss B also works at MAccy D's. Turned in now so I cannot ask her but I don't think till problems have ever actually resulted in a deduction.

Legally I guess they're OK if till's down for carelessness but not otherwise. Was the grab victim following the rules or was till left open when it shouldn'y have been.

J makes same complaint about some Managers and way they speak. But then having been a manager myself I've sometimes found myself resorting to words of one syllable!!

EDIT - beaten by PU's more informed post. Think conclusion is similar though - if there's a loss 'cos you failed to follow rules then employer can recover albeit perhaps in installments.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 25 Aug 11 at 23:06
 Wage deductions - zippy
The bit about theft by a customer is a bit unfair. I can't imagine a 17 year old on minimum wage standing up to a customer with a sawn off or even a casual shoplifter as you never know if they have hidden weapons!

Wage deductions - RattleandSmoke
My worked there once, he lasted two weeks before he told the manager to **** off. He kept being treated like scum and finally had enough. It was thinks like "oh we don't need you today".

He has never had any problem at the other places he has worked since he retired many years ago.

He loves the place where he works now, and one the main reasons is the managers have huge respect for the staff, it is just a shame it is only a temporary job. They have a very very low turnover of staff too.

I did work for Curry's for six months a few years back, it was ok but the manager could be sarcastic I enjoyed it though. Not had a an 'employed' job since then!.
 Wage deductions - Skoda
I worked in mcds, it was alright. Customers were the biggest pain, most of the staff were great, good social life there, always out for beers for one reason or another. 2 bad eggs in the management team.

Never heard of anyone getting wage deductions back then. A manager counted your till which I wasn't comfortable with. Hung about like a bad smell till it was done, never more than pennies out.
 Wage deductions - Cliff Pope
What an appalling employer. We wouldn't dream of making deductions, even for honest mistakes. We employ good staff and then trust them. In the rare cases of betrayal of trust we sack them after due process.
If it's not possible to recover billions from politicians and bankers who have cocked up the economy, we are certainly not going to make a fuss over a measly fiver error in the till.
 Wage deductions - Manatee
It might be worth saying here that although McDonalds operates to a fairly consistent method, many outlets are franchises.
 Wage deductions - Skoda
>> It might be worth saying here that although McDonalds operates to a fairly consistent method,
>> many outlets are franchises.
>>

That is a good point and it makes a difference. We were company owned (Bellshill) but others in Hamilton (franchised) had a much harder life.
 Wage deductions - Iffy
I'm surprised the wage deduction is legal.

There was a case of an all-night filling station cashier who successfully fought a deduction.

It will probably never happen to Bobby's daughter, but if it did, I would suggest quitting the job and looking for another one.

Wage deductions - BobbyG
Skoda, this is one of the Hamilton McDs....
 Wage deductions - BobbyG
Skoda, apparently you now pour the contents of your till into some machine which counts it for you!
 Wage deductions - Mapmaker
>> she will be sent home if she doesnt have
>> washed uniform etc etc

Seems perfectly reasonable. Quite an incentive to turn up looking presentable, isn't it.

>> One girl last week suffered a
>> till grab while her till was open, they got away with £118 and she must
>> pay it back?

I guess they are worried that the staff will be in cahoots with the till grabbers. Certainly makes the staff be careful. I presume this was a tale told pour encourager les autres; presumably in the event of a similar happening then the case will be judged on its own merits.
 Wage deductions - Duncan
>> while her till was open,

I suppose the management would say 'The till shouldn't be open'

Open the till, put the money in, take the change out, close the till. The system if followed is virtually foolproof.
 Wage deductions - Clk Sec
Cash grab would result in a few broken fingers in Arkwright's till.
 Wage deductions - BobbyG
There used to be a group of Romanians who had a scam going through the Lothians wherby they bought vigarettes from the supermarket kiosk (knowing that normally set aside from main tills and usually only one or two on.

They would then confuse the cashier about wanting change in different denominations etc to the extent that they regularly got away with their fags and £50 cash.

I came across them one day and witnessed them starting their spiel, I immediately closed the cashier's till and they did a runner.

IIRC the scam went something like this:

Bought fags for say £4, handed over a tenner, got their fags and £6 in change. As they were being handed the £6, they would take the fiver out the change and say hold on, I've got a fiver. So would then hand over this same fiver, get a £1 change and the cashier would give them their original tenner back. Also used £20 and £50 as well and there would be 3 or 4 of them crowded round the till talking native lanaguage making the whole episode confusing for an 18 year old!
 Wage deductions - Suppose
wages deductions
www.gmemploymentrights.org.uk/index.php/en/factsheets/deductions-from-wages

>> IIRC the scam went something like this:
>>
thick employees, clever Romanian scammers
 Wage deductions - Dave_
>> it was like being back in primary school the way they were spoken to

>> thick employees

IIRC a couple of years ago Tesco had to give some new staff remedial lessons in Maths and English because their standards were too poor for the world of work. With absolutely no disrespect to the OP or anyone else here related to Mcdonalds staff, I would suggest that businesses like Mcdonalds could reasonably expect many new employees to be at the lowest level of comprehension and educational attainment, and would tailor their induction programmes accordingly.
 Wage deductions - Iffy
...the lowest level of comprehension and educational attainment...

What do you get from a graduate?

A Big Mac.

Wage deductions - mikeyb
I guess it deters the staff from trying it on. Had a friend who worked in a pub - used to cream far more off than he was earning til they caught on.

Large Tesco near me - one of the big extra style ones. They had a massive problem with stock loss - I'm told by an employee that it was aproaching 7 figures over a period of time. Turned out the security staff were running a scam with the local scum where they would come in at night (its 24 hour) take high value items like TV's through the self scan along with some low value food. Would look on CCTV like they were scanning and paying normally, but would only be scanning the food and pretending to scan the high value item where there was no barcode. Payment made by card, so anyone watching on CCTV would see a normal transaction, and the security staff would then remove the tags and wave them out of the store.

Only got found out as a new security guy started - noticed the odd behaviour at the till, and was told to leave well alone, so raised his concerns with the manager.

I imagine if your daughter is bright and can add up then the till short issue wont be a problem, however dont staff share tills between them? Sure they do in my local
 Wage deductions - Dave_
I like it Iffy. Without wishing to lower the panel's opinion of me, I do go in McD's on occasion (excuse - I have kids, they like the food) and whilst most of the staff are perfectly able and aware I have been able to flummox a few by presenting exactly the right change before the amount's been rung up on the till. To be fair, that happens in other shops too.

I believe in the States at least, McDonalds serves as much of a purpose in providing an introduction to the world of work to youths with poor life prospects as it does in providing burgers to hungry people.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 26 Aug 11 at 19:59
 Wage deductions - Bromptonaut
>> ...the lowest level of comprehension and educational attainment...

An eclectic mix of those and prospective graduates funding their studies/leisure/habits.

One of the full timers working with my daughter, lets call him Sam, lived at the end of the road for a few months. Aged about 10 at the time he'd ring the door bell to call for my son to go and play. We'd explain that we were having lunch and that Bromp J would be out in half an hour. Ten minutes later the door bell would go again......

And Sam was the brighter of two brothers!!
 Wage deductions - mikeyb
at 10 though waiting for your mate to come out feels like ages!
 Wage deductions - BobbyG
Just a little update, after she attended her induction at McDonalds she got a phone call offering her a job in Next.

So, very much unlike her dad, she prefers clothes to burgers, started last week and loves it so far!
 Wage deductions - R.P.
Good Bobby - my nephew goes back to University in the next couple of weeks for his final year - McD's proved to be a good employer for him over the summer - he was offered a permanent job with them. Next has a good reputation.
Latest Forum Posts