Non-motoring > Utility (non) switch Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 41

Utility (non) switch - Iffy
Finally got around to running the gas and electric bill for Iffy Towers through GoCompare.

I'm currently spending a shade over £1,000 a year with nPower.

GoCompare's cheapest was £703 with, you've guessed it, nPower.

I logged on to nPower's site, where there is a section for existing customers to check their best tariff.

That also came up with £703, and I was able to switch with just a few clicks.

Fair play to nPower for letting me change easily - I was expecting an argument.

But unfair play to them for not putting an existing customer on the best tariff in the first place.
 Utility (non) switch - Clk Sec
>>But unfair play to them for not putting an existing customer on the best tariff in the first place.

Well they don't, do they? But like you I've remained with my existing company on a more competitive tariff.
 Utility (non) switch - Zero
you have to treat your utlility services like you do insurance. Check it every year or they will screw you rigid. And your savings accounts - banks do the same.
...And your savings accounts...

That's another task I should do, but haven't got around to.

I'm still basking in my £300 'saving'.

And trying not to think too much about how much I've overpaid in previous years.

Utility (non) switch - Dog
Good shout! - I'm with npower and I'll have to check that out.
...Good shout! - I'm with npower and I'll have to check that out...

'Online 23' seems to be the tariff to go for, but if I can navigate my way around the nPower site, I'm sure you'll be able to.

>>'Online 23' seems to be the tariff to go for<<

Thanks!
 Utility (non) switch - PeteW
Just note that these prices appear to be based on their CURRENT tariff rates not those as of beginning October when their price increases take effect. As this is not a fixed tariff you'll find some of the 'saving' will disappear. Still looks okay as long as you check again this time next year before it probably goes up again.
As said already, treat your energy the same way as your insurance and review every year for the best deal.
 Utility (non) switch - rtj70
VxFan said he'd been told the saver 23 tariff or whatever it's called isn't going up then.
 Utility (non) switch - Suppose
>> VxFan said he'd been told the saver 23 tariff or whatever it's called isn't going
>> up then.
>>

With all due respect to VxFan, either he has been told lies or he has misunderstood/misheard what he was told - unless of course he has got the promise in writing.

The only tariffs that are fixed are those that state they are fixed.

Online Saver 23 gives you a 2% discount off the standard variable rate, and the discount is guaranteed up to 6th November 2012.

Utility (non) switch - VxFan
>> VxFan said he'd been told the saver 23 tariff or whatever it's called isn't going up then.

I actually said their "sign online 23" & "Go Fix 7" aren't afected by the 15% rise in October.
...Still looks okay as long as you check again this time next year before it probably goes up again...

Pete,

Thanks for that - always good to hear from someone with a bit of inside knowledge.

I think the £1,000 figure is nPower's projection of my spend for next year, which ought to include the October increase.

Even if it doesn't, Online23 should turn out a fair bit cheaper than my current tariff.

But I'll not be spending the £300 just yet. :)

Utility (non) switch - Roger.
I've just completed the switch, dual fuel, to Eon, capped price until 2014 tariff, via AgeUK (Age Concern, as was).
I have to say that Eon's admin. seems spot on as I have received lots of updates during the switching process, culminating with a written note confirming the setting up of the D.D. for £70 per month. I 'phoned in my starting meter readings and was answered by an English voice, too!
It'll be interesting to see how this "guesstimate" pans out, but our house, a modest semi, is double glazed, with extra insulation in the loft and, I have just discovered, also has cavity wall insulation.
 Utility (non) switch - Pat
I think Eon are excellent at Customer Service Roger and another tip.
Ask for their Energy meter, it certainly shows you where you're going wrong and has reduced our bill without any hardship whatsoever.

Pat
 Utility (non) switch - Roger.
I think we get an energy meter as part of the deal with AgeUK.
Apparently "due to demand" there will be a delay in this being sent.
...Apparently "due to demand" there will be a delay in this being sent...

They could always get the meters back from the old folks who've died from being too cold. :)

Utility (non) switch - rtj70
Sending out energy meters will no doubt satisfy some quota imposed on these companies and thus avoid a fine. I've got an energy meter and do occasionally look at it - but it makes little difference to what the others in the house do!

Energy companies sent out free low energy light bulbs at great cost a couple of years ago. This was to avoid paying some hefty fines - posting the bulbs was cheaper. Somehow all these 'schemes' are seen by the UK government as helping reduce CO2.
 Utility (non) switch - Pat
>> but it makes little difference to what the others in the house do!<<

Then get a grip on them rtj, sit them down and give them a demo and take out the light bulbs if that doesn't work.

Pat

Utility (non) switch - FocalPoint
"Then get a grip on them rtj, sit them down and give them a demo and take out the light bulbs if that doesn't work."

Well said! That made me chuckle. Mind you, it's easy for me to laugh - I'm the only one in this house, so if I don't get a grip, it just won't happen. I find my "smart meter" pretty useful.
...Sending out...

Speaking of sending out freebies, we never did get our tyre pressure gauges, did we?

Utility (non) switch - Crankcase
Why ever would you want to reduce CO2?

We all know that as of 2008,

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081217075138.htm

whereas of this week,

www.zerohedge.com/contributed/scientific-experiment-top-laboratory-shows-cosmic-rays-affect-cloud-formation-which-turn

It's all perfectly clear.

End mischievous mode.

Utility (non) switch - BobbyG
Cheers Iffy, I am with Npower and have now changed to the Online 23 tarriff as well.
 Utility (non) switch - Skip
Cheers Iffy, I am with Npower and have now changed to the Online 23 tarriff as well.

+1

Andy
Ok to resurrect this thread from last year, I have received a letter from NPower advising that the Online 23 tarriff ends on 26 Nov 2012 and they will switch me to their Go save S account.

Assume there may be others in the same boat?

I have never been one for swapping power suppliers, swapped to Npower probably 5+ years ago and stuck with them since out of laziness and absolute hatred of trying to get comparison quotes.

So is there a best website for comparison purposes?
Anyone else moved from Online 23 and if so, what to?
 Utility (non) switch - Skip
I have just received the same news from them. I have not got round checking out alternatives yet.
 Utility (non) switch - Focusless
Worth a look:
www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity
>
>> So is there a best website for comparison purposes?

I use U-switch. Worked ok for me. Check it every year at about the same time (vital to get a full years seasons comparison)

>> I use U-switch.

Use the link on the MSE site (posted earlier) to get 6 bottles of wine free if you switch.
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 7 Nov 12 at 19:41
 Utility (non) switch - R.P.
I wish iffy was back !
who?
 Utility (non) switch - Alanovich
>> Use the link on the MSE site (posted earlier) to get 6 bottles of wine
>> free if you switch.

That's what I've just done. I read it as offering a case of wine. 12 bottles, thought I. That's a case, isn't it? 6 is half a case. Was a tad miffed as I was planning on those 12 bottles taking care of Christmas. Oh well. Must have misread the offer.

Anyway, they give you a choice of selections when it comes to it, and I opted for a 4 bottle pack of really nice French stuff over the 6 bottle pack consisting of Spanish and Portuguese varieties. Nothing against those countries, but I've got a bee in my bonnet about French wine at the moment. Can't seem to really enjoy anything else.

When I made my switch, the wine was billed as being from Virgin Wines, but it turns out that it's supplied by an outfit called Drop Wines. Either they've taken Virgin Wines over or uSwitch have switched suppliers themselves!
>> That's what I've just done. I read it as offering a case of wine. 12
>> bottles, thought I.

Didn't we compare offers at the time - I went for the £30 instead on the basis we don't usually spend £5 on a bottle, implying there were only 6?

EDIT: www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=11986&m=267645
although I see you do mention a 'box' of wine
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 8 Nov 12 at 09:51
Yes, I missed your implication. Whilst trying not to look a gift horse in the mouth, still think it's a bit off of them to call it a case of wine. If I'd spotted that I might have gone for the dough. Ah well, I'm sure that I'll enjoy a decent few bottles of plonk. No harm done really.
>> still think it's a bit off of them to call it a case of wine.

answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061115161158AAdDBYf
You must be an 'old timer' :)
Spose I must be. :-)

I was going on the terminology used when I visit Majestic - they still call 6 bottles a half case. And I reckon they know a bit about wine.
Try:

www.which.co.uk/switch/
 Utility (non) switch - Haywain
I use energyhelpline.

Some of the best approaches to a good deal include dual fuel, on-line paperless billing, supplying your own meter readings, payment by direct debit.
Helpfully, the ability to view your bill online with NPower seems to be having technical problems - makes it difficult to have any concrete info to quote for alternatives!!
 Utility (non) switch - VxFan
>> Online 23 tarriff ends on 26 Nov 2012 and they will switch me to their Go save S account.
>>
>> Assume there may be others in the same boat?

>> Anyone else moved from Online 23 and if so, what to?

Yep. I asked them what would be the best tarriff and they said the Energy Online January 2014 one which they'll put me over to on the 27th Nov. Apparantely it's not affected by the price rise and based on current usage will save me £133 a year (£11 a month).

I checked for myself on a couple of the price comparison websites and the info agreed with what NPower told me.

Obviously it will depend on your location to as what the best tarriff is for you.
Well have checked a few comparison websites and they are all coming up with NPower as being the best for me!!

Same as Mark's but mine will work out dearer than the current rate :(
FWIW Topcashback are offering up to £60 for switching to NPower (£52 for Dual Fuel Online).
 Utility (non) switch - mikeyb
also www.quidco.com/npower/ offering up to £100 for switching depending on the tariff
Latest Forum Posts