Non-motoring > Gadaffi Escapes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Harleyman Replies: 49

Gadaffi Escapes - Harleyman
BBC News: ' Gaddaffi might have slipped into Jordan'.

Is there anyone that Katie Price won't sleep with?
 Gadaffi Escapes - MD
>> BBC News: ' Gaddaffi might have slipped into Jordan'.
>>
>> Is there anyone that Katie Price won't sleep with?
>>
?
 Gadaffi Escapes - Robin O'Reliant
Do keep up Martin, everyone else got it.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Pat
Come on Martin, the builders I know have every bit as good a sense of humour as lorry drivers and that made both me and mr pda laugh:)

Pat
 Gadaffi Escapes - Iffy
If the Jordanians find out where he is, we could pull a few strings.

Their king is ex-Sandhurst, Royal Hussars, and Oxford University.

Gadaffi Escapes - Pat
Treetop?

Pat
 Gadaffi Escapes - Roger.
>> BBC News: ' Gaddaffi might have slipped into Jordan'.
>>
>> Is there anyone that Katie Price won't sleep with?

Harsh, but true!
 Gadaffi Escapes - Armel Coussine
I'm going to get up some noses now, because I feel like it and haven't had a red gong for ages.

Although the original joke has some wit, albeit not very brilliant, little that has been posted since is of much value. But the whole thread is unworthy of us.

Just because a person courts tabloid notoriety in an exhibitionist manner, and is apparently vulgar and insensitive, does everyone have a right to make schoolboy coarse jokes about her? To do so is to play her tabloid game, while demeaning women in general. The fact that she appears to ask for it isn't an excuse. Jokes of that sort are immature, dehumanizing, hard-hearted. It is a matter of general principle: it isn't about the individual concerned.

I know it's widespread, seen daily on the front pages of the yellow press with more inside. I've been well naughty in my time, am no saint, far from po-faced, enjoy quite lurid bad taste. But jokes in this sort of mode make me uneasy when uttered by my friends.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 27 Aug 11 at 01:48
 Gadaffi Escapes - Lygonos
Don't bother looking for the joke in this thread.

It's in your pants.
Now that one's all right Lygonos...

:o}
 Gadaffi Escapes - Pat
>>Jokes of that sort are immature, dehumanizing, hard-hearted.<<

But still funny, and laughing is better than crying so just enjoy the moment AC and chill out.

Pat
I wasn't crying Pat, just prodding people a bit. And you make the point, without saying it, that many if not all jokes are heartless and somehow dehumanizing, even the mature ones.

But now you have made me curious. I didn't think 2.26 was your sort of time of day. Are you up late, or up already?

I'm going to bed soon anyway.

By the way, I never liked cruel boastful talk about women although I am far from strait-laced as should be obvious. And actually a really good joke will destroy all prejudices for a moment or two however awful in spirit.

But I had sisters and a mother. Now I have eight female descendants as well as a wife and lots of friends who are women. I hate jokes about well-known women who are ugly or have defects of appearance. I can't help thinking about how it must feel for them.

I suppose this is just a thing I'm soppy about, like you with cats. And as with cats, it may be wasted sympathy in some cases.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Pat
You're right AC, it is far too early for me.

I've had a problem with my back for the last 3 weeks, something to do with the Piriformis, but extremely painful and makes it hard to lie down for any length of time.
The heated seat in the Mondeo is bliss:)

I hate some jokes too, they can be cruel and as you can imagine, I've been on the receiving end of these more than once.
There is no excuse for them but to learn to laugh at yourself, and with other people when they laugh at you, is character building and not something I would have missed.

You're not soppy at all, neither are cats!

In the dark hours there's always at least one of ours with me to lend a sympathetic ear but they do have a problem with the leads on the TENS machine:)

Pat
 Gadaffi Escapes - Dog
>>I've had a problem with my back for the last 3 weeks, something to do with the Piriformis, but extremely painful and makes it hard to lie down for any length of time.
The heated seat in the Mondeo is bliss:)<<

You may find this helpful Pat, I bought one when I had my back trouble 10 months ago,
but I still use it every night, because I like it :)

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4428121/Trail/searchtext%3EHEAT+PAD.htm
 Gadaffi Escapes - devonite
>>something to do with the Piriformis,<<

do you get that from using your CCleaner too much?
 Gadaffi Escapes - Zero
>> I'm going to get up some noses now, because I feel like it and haven't
>> had a red gong for ages.

Stop being a pompous ass, you dont do it very well, and we are not giving you a red gong.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Iffy
...Stop being a pompous ass, you dont do it very well...

Bluntly put, even for me, but I have to agree.

People think social commentary journalism - as done by columnists in the broadsheets - is easy.

It isn't, as AC demonstrates.

That's two dripping pink hooters I've managed to get right up then.

Didn't think Iffy had ever read a proper newspaper. Live and learn, eh?

Twozzers.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Iffy
...Twozzers...

The other challenging thing about social commentary journalism is dealing with the inevitable criticism.

Those who are good at it come up with something more articulate than simple name-calling.

Gadaffi Escapes - Westpig
Some of the best humour out there can appear inappropriate if the simple humour element is ignored and the subject matter is looked at too deeply. It doesn't mean that you necessarily disrespect the subject matter, but have just found something funny..and sometimes the inappropriateness of the humour is the humour e.g a squaddy taking the mick out of a mate with a serious injury.

Lighten up AC, no one's taking the 'p' out of your harem...;-)
 Gadaffi Escapes - Zero
>> Some of the best humour out there can appear inappropriate

He was right in one respect, it really wasnt that funny.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Robin O'Reliant
Katie Perry has publicly humiliated several of her former lovers in the tabloids, snide digs about the size of their manhoods being one example. She has no cause to complain about about herself becoming the butt of what would otherwise be some cruel humour, neither has anyone else the right to complain on her behalf.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Zero
Oh I agree, Katie price is a hateful old bag and should be the butt of any cruel humour, the crueller the better, but it just wasn't a funny joke.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Bromptonaut
It creased B junior but then he's sixteen.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Iffy
...It creased B junior but then he's sixteen...

Probably keen to show his dad he understood it, thereby proving he's a man, or at least a boy, of the world.

Gadaffi Escapes - -
thereby proving he's a man, or at least a boy, of the world.
>>

Think you'll find most 16 year olds know and experience stuff we'd only have dreamed of....

Wasn't a 'line up' slang for identity parade, wish the modern version had been around when i was a lad, not as i'd have had the luck.:-)
 Gadaffi Escapes - MD
>> ...It creased B junior but then he's sixteen...
>>
>> Probably keen to show his dad he understood it, thereby proving he's a man, or
>> at least a boy, of the world.
>>
Give the boy to a favourite Aunt and get back the Man (o-:-o)
 Gadaffi Escapes - Bromptonaut
>> Probably keen to show his dad he understood it, thereby proving he's a man, or
>> at least a boy, of the world.

They understand far too much Iffy. Have you come across sickipedia?

Apparently it provides a constant feed of poor taste direct to their smartphones.
>> no one's taking the 'p' out of your harem...;-)

They would be taking their life in their hands if they tried it Wp. You wouldn't want them all after you in a pack.

Harem? Monstrous regiment more like. They gang up on you.
>> challenging thing about social commentary journalism is dealing with the inevitable criticism.

There's quite a difference between 'criticism' and female-doggish sniping from the sidelines Iffy. Nor is 'social commentary as done by columnists in the broadsheets' necessarily as difficult as you seem to think. Ever done a column? The way it is, you win some you lose some. Similarly, with any marginally complex social comment piece, sometimes it comes straight off the top of your head and sometimes you sweat blood and stay up all night. The results can be surprisingly uniform though. You can sweat blood and still do a naff piece. And you can do it throwaway and be admired for it.

What is difficult is front-line reporting in mobile situations. I envy people who have a real talent (and the energy) for that. They are often quite abrasive, harsh, bigoted individuals, but very sharp. However quite a lot of journalists of all types have a substantial charlatan side. If you have an eye for it you can spot it in their stuff. Read Damian Thompson's coumn in the Terrorflag. Don't forget the sickbag though.

As with everything else I've done, I enjoyed hacking but wasn't a real pro. More of a dilettante. How I've got away with it for all these years I can't imagine.
As for the original subject of this thread, I am hardly aware of Katie Price and don't have a clue what she looks like or anything. Obviously my thin and selective reading of the broadsheet press is to blame for this deplorable lacuna in my contemporary culture files.

There are quite a few people of that sort whose names are sometimes paraded past as if one ought to know who they are. There's a very big swathe of popular culture and current gossip that simply has no proper base in reality. It's almost completely ersatz, with these real human beings in there struggling blindly around like flies in a puddle of something sticky and toxic.

Why would anyone go there? It's a complete mystery to me. But obviously not to millions of my fellow-countrymen who stare wide-eyed at displays that are pointless, ugly and destructive, and join in with threads like this one.

I am far too fond of a bit of fun, all those close to me have often commented. But I do like it to be about something real. Last week everyone was huffing and puffing about the Digger and the filth he retailed. I prefer to blame the voracious market for that filth.

Tchah!
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 27 Aug 11 at 15:57
 Gadaffi Escapes - sooty123
OT, was it just me who had to google 'lacuna'?
 Gadaffi Escapes - Zero
>> OT, was it just me who had to google 'lacuna'?

Its a renault, I wonder if he meant the Mk1 or the mk2?
>> Its a renault,

Heh heh... I like it...

An adventurous fellow called Spooner
Took a leisurely cruise on his schooner,
But parked on the quay
Near the salt-spraying sea
What was soon just a Renault lacuna.
And if you want a proper giggle about Gaddafi, google the Matt cartoon on today's Terrorflag. Another little masterpiece.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Meldrew
Matt is a brilliant humourist. A good cartoon here which then gets one to an archive of past cartoons. Today's is brilliant too - an RAF aircraft coming up behind a tanker and at the end of the refuelling hose is a sign saying P45!!!!!

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=8666991&cc=8610075
Last edited by: Meldrew on Wed 31 Aug 11 at 08:50
 Gadaffi Escapes - Roger.
It may be funny, but IMO the whole ethic of sacking service people who have committed their working life, for up to 22 years, to any of the Armed Forces is just plain pfd.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 31 Aug 11 at 12:46
 Gadaffi Escapes - captain chaos
+1
 Gadaffi Escapes - Alanovich
Roger, I seldom agree with you. But that is spot on.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Iffy
I usually agree with Roger, but it's hardly sacking in the true meaning of the word.

I don't agree with further reduction in our armed forces, but the people who are going are not being sacked.

And there's no doubt public money spending needs to be reduced somehow.

Don't want to end up like Greece, or Ireland, or America, or....

Gadaffi Escapes - -
>> And there's no doubt public money spending needs to be reduced somehow.
>>

Foreign aid, US led wars, and paying ne'er do wells to do nothing other than breed more ne'er do wells would be a better start.

Much better and permanent, employment for our services would be defending our borders, wasn't that the original idea.

As for ending up like those mentioned, bit late for bolting the door now, the horse has long gone.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Iffy
...and paying ne'er do wells to do nothing other than breed more ne'er do wells...

That's true, and it would lead to further saving opportunities in the police, social services, the courts and prisons.

Gadaffi Escapes - Roger.
>> I usually agree with Roger, but it's hardly sacking in the true meaning of the
>> word.
>>
>> I don't agree with further reduction in our armed forces, but the people who are
>> going are not being sacked.

There are to be compulsory redundancies: in my world that IS sacking!
 Gadaffi Escapes - Iffy
...There are to be compulsory redundancies: in my world that IS sacking!...

Roger,

You know, or ought to know, the financial and severance package for an employee who is made redundant is far superior to the almost non-existent package for an employee who has been dismissed.

In a legal sense you're right, but I'm not sure tomorrow morning thousands of people will think that way.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 31 Aug 11 at 17:45
 Gadaffi Escapes - Iffy
...but I'm not sure tomorrow morning thousands of people will think that way...

What tends to happen in these situations is there are winners and losers.

Some of those who go will be nearing retirement and delighted to get an enhanced package.

Employers like ex-military people, so others will get a pay-off and another job, so they will be even more pleased.

Some, no doubt, will lose their job, struggle to find another and face some hardship.

errr thanks for that iffy.
In the end turned out to be almost 500 selected that didn't apply. Likewise several hundred applied and didn't get it.
 Gadaffi Escapes - Clk Sec
That would cause a hullabloo in an unionised environment.
Might well cause one anyway ;)

Seriously there's more than a few wondering if they can 'swap'.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 1 Sep 11 at 14:10
Latest Forum Posts