Non-motoring > Fence Panel sprayer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 9

Fence Panel sprayer - borasport
Any opinions ?

I just done a couple of new panels the old fashioned way, and when I bought the fence treatment I was struck by the cost of the sprayable stuff.

Now I'm struck by how long it took to give two panels two coats by hand, and by how much I ached last weekend after gibing therm the first coat.

Does the sprayable stuff go a lot further, as it seems to be much more expensive, and is it any actually any easy to do, or any quicker ?
 Fence Panel sprayer - bathtub tom
My daughter's got some lovely speckled brown, white UPVC bargeboard and soffits on a ground floor extension thanks to a neighbour using one of them.

I also understand many users have had to cough up for car re-sprays as a result of careless 'drift'.
 Fence Panel sprayer - -
Ows about a long handled floor brush and do it the slap it on fast method, old carpet on the ground to catch the inevitable splashes...(seeing some awful orange peel finishes over the years i think some car makers still use the same brush).
Only need to use a hand brush to get in the nooks and crannies.

The problem with spraying is overspray, epsecially when it penetrates the fence your neighbours side.
 Fence Panel sprayer - CGNorwich
Quickest way is to use a roller and a brush for the more fiddly bits
 Fence Panel sprayer - corax
The cheap spraying kits don't work properly - they don't have enough pressure or they clog up - I think the reality is rather different to the advert - see below

Are you using a proper fence brush?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6yyZY9L-LE
 Fence Panel sprayer - devonite
>>and by how much I ached last weekend <<

I also painted my "Lurkin,Loiterin an potterin" shed (18`6" x 8`) with "Black Jack" bitumen, twas a coolish day, and I set off with a 3" brush and plenty of Gusto! 5 hours later I could barely waggle a 1" brush, and had had to stand the tin on my camping gas stove to warm it up and make it thinner, - itneeds a second coat, so me will also be interested in any sprayer recommendations!!
 Fence Panel sprayer - four wheels good...
I once had a garden sprayer inherited from a neighbours shed clearance, which worked really well as the nozzle could be adjusted to give a very nice fan spray as opposed to a cone. On a calm day there was little overspray.

Unfortunately the sprayer wasn't designed for the creosote / engine oil mixture I used as just before I finished the job the thing gummed itself up. On dismantling the sprayer all of the O seals had turned to a soft licorice consistancy and blocked everything up.

I now stick with the big brush method, though with water soluble preservatives there shouldn't be the problem I had.
 Fence Panel sprayer - Westpig
I've used a sprayer and it was fantastic..much, much quicker than painting it.

Downsides:
1, don't do it on a windy day as the fine spray or over spray will cover other things...mask the areas well, next to what you want to spray, for the same reason

2, Clean the sprayer properly at the finish..otherwise it'll be gummed up to hell for the next time.

The speed of it was well worth any other hassle...inc er...sort of...um...having to paint the garage wall white again (I should have masked it with an old sheet or similar).
 Fence Panel sprayer - WillDeBeest
Used a Homebase sprayer last autumn to coat our new shed in the far corner of the garden. Generally worked very well and much quicker than brushing. Too far from anything else to worry about drift or overspray.
 Fence Panel sprayer - rtj70
Assuming you buy panels already pre-treated. It's one simple coat surely? What am I missing?
Latest Forum Posts