Non-motoring > Concrete turning green Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 13

Concrete turning green - BobbyG
I had a large concrete panel garage on a concrete base. Reduced the garage size in half when we got the extension built, leaving half the concrete base exposed.

This has a habit of turning green, I spent an hour power washing it last weekend and already there are green tinges starting to show through. Interestingly, there was an old mat lying on part of it during the week and when I moved that, it was still clean underside.

I originally assumed it was maybe the dog peeing but on googling it seems to be a common problem.

All sorts of remedies being suggested but wondering if anyone on here had any experience of this, what did they use, did it solve it or does it need constant treatment.

Had also thought of painting the concrete with a suitable paint but wondering is this would make any difference ie. would the green still show up through?
 Concrete turning green - Stuartli
Soak it with the correct mixture of Jeyes Fluid - the green will disappear in a day or so.
 Concrete turning green - Zero
cover it with astro turf.
 Concrete turning green - devonite
its probably in the shade alot of the day or North facing, hence the algal growth! - set up some large mirrors to direct sunlight on to it.
 Concrete turning green - legacylad
and take up croquet
 Concrete turning green - Ted

Paint it green.....sorted.
I did the concrete floor in my garage Empire Green floor paint...very hardy.

Ted
 Concrete turning green - Dog
>>Soak it with the correct mixture of Jeyes Fluid - the green will disappear in a day or so<<

And it will stink for a week or two.
 Concrete turning green - Zero
keep the cats away tho. And any wild haggis roaming around.
 Concrete turning green - Old Navy
You can get concrete/patio/decking cleaner in most builders merchants/DIY sheds/garden centers.
 Concrete turning green - MD
Find a Farm supplies shop and get a cleaner for milking parlours (Hypochlorite) I pay about £6.50 +vat for 5 gallons. Dilute it 50/50 and DON'T get it on your clothes or self. Leave for an hour or so, rinse and repeat. Keep animals away (paws/pads) until it has been washed away.
 Concrete turning green - Fursty Ferret
Buy a barrel of sodium hypochlorate (bleach to you and me) from a farmer's shop. They use it to sterilise dairys, but it does a cracking job of stopping green growth on concrete once and for all.

NOTE: This isn't your everyday bleach and it will burn on contact. Eye protection and rubber gloves strongly advised. Pour it neat onto the concrete and scrub with a brush.
 Concrete turning green - zookeeper
borrow a breaker and chop it out, then sell it to donnington race track as good quality grasscrete
 Concrete turning green - Stuartli
>>And it will stink for a week or two.>>

Not the case for me...:-)

I also keep a solution of Jeyes Fluid mix in a one-litre spray bottle, which is very handy for getting rid of smaller areas of green algae on walls, gate posts and flagstones. It's also far more economical to use this way and also stops dogs peeing on the gateposts...:-)
 Concrete turning green - Dog
>>I also keep a solution of Jeyes Fluid mix in a one-litre spray bottle<<

Peops were bathed in the stuff c1877 to treat scarlet fever (nice!)

What sort of dilution do you use in your little bottle Stuartli ?
Latest Forum Posts