Non-motoring > Anybody have any issues single camping? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 46

Anybody have any issues single camping? - RattleandSmoke
I know a few people on here like to go camping and I try and do it every few months. I have a couple of spare days next week and to make the most of the last minute of summer decided to go camping.

I normally go to one in Anglesey and you just turn up there, never had any problems but I am a bit bored of it and it can get a little bit rowdy as as it is very popular with Liverpudlians who bring lets just say their own unique sense of humour to the place.

See a few sites in the Black Rock sands/Porthmadog area but they all say couples and families only and no single sex groups. Is it likely they will have a problem with a single person wanting to make a booking?

I know when I have been with my mates it is often hard to get a get a booking, and the place in the Anglesey was the only place which didn't mind us.
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Stuu
>> but they all say couples and families only and no single sex groups <<

In a place trying to attract families, what they really need is a loan male about the place...
That is kind of what I was getting at :(.

It is nothing more than a base for my further travels into the Snowdonia area though. It is why I always end up in the Red Wharf bay area.
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Stuu
I know its not fair Rats, but unless you can borrow a child ( which may raise all sorts of other questions! ), then perhaps you need to look harder, Im sure the places you are after exist.
Takes all the pleasure out of it though, I think the key is to try and find one which isn't family oriented. May end up just going back to the same old place, as least I know there is no hassle at all in this regard, but I know other people do go camping alone.

I may register on a camping website, as people there might know some where very specific.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 28 Aug 11 at 18:05
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Robin O'Reliant
Can't you find a woman to take?
Ha that is one thing I am trying to get away from :).

Anybody have any issues single camping? - R.P.
Rats,

I know plenty of (motorcycling) friends who have camped on their own on campsites across the world including the UK. Some on my second favourite website (UKGS's.com). If you phone the campsite and explain when you book you'll be ok, especially on the more specialized ones who cater for (shock horror) lone climbers up the Ogwen valley (re-assuringly alongside the beautifully graded and surfaced A5) - I can post some recommendations for you. Get on with it !
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 28 Aug 11 at 18:21
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Dieselboy
Why not try some campsites around Manchester area? Then you can stay amongst your own kind with your own kind of sense of humour.
Just found that one of my Facebook friends has gone camping alone apart from a large plant potted palm tree...
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Runfer D'Hills
I know someone, ( quite well ! ) who when he first started his own business which required him to travel a lot but who couldn't at the time afford hotels or B&Bs who used to take a pup tent and camp around the UK and Ireland on his own. He enjoyed it mostly, winter excepted of course. That was a bit tough. Used to wash/shave etc and get a warm up by going to public swimming pools. Met some interesting people along the way too.
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Zero

>> public swimming pools. Met some interesting people along the way too.

Yeah I bet, Greyhound owners per chance?
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Lygonos
Make a 'stealth camper' then you can camp wherever you like.
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Runfer D'Hills
What, from a Panda? I'd have to hang my feet out the window...

:-)
www.visitcapel.fsnet.co.uk/btfcamp.htm

Capel Curig has two very good pubs. There's another site on the way to Betws as well.
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - mikeyb
Rattle - I think the answer may be an adults only site.

Not sure if this turns anything up

www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=122
www.snowdoninn.co.uk/campsite.asp

This is another very good one, with its own real ale pub alongside, and the added attraction of the Welsh Highland Railway running alongside...no bopping though !
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Robin O'Reliant
>> Rattle - I think the answer may be an adults only site.
>>
>> Not sure if this turns anything up
>>
>> www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=122
>>
How disappointing. I thought it might be an "Adults Only" campsite rather than just an adults only campsite.

If you catch my drift...
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Sun 28 Aug 11 at 19:44
It seems to be a toss up from the one in Capel Cruig and one I have found in Cricieth. Some good suggestions for the future too.
Cricieth is very nice Rats, good pubs, beach, castle, ice cream and fish and chips.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 28 Aug 11 at 19:50
I agree with Zero - excellent pubs there as well, a castle and a railway (full size) - Only the really Welsh zealots spell it with one c in the middle !
its got a really good baker as well. Great locally made Barra Brith.,
I used to stay in his flat (rented by a colleague) in another life, some memorable nights out in the place

Edit...you've fired up my memory Zero - We used to come in via the bakery (workshop/kitchen part) after being on the hit and miss - hot straight out of the oven sausage rolls....yummy !
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 28 Aug 11 at 20:10
Will probably go there then, I think it will be more sheltered as early September might get a bit chilly up on the mountains and my equipment is not really up for that. The reviews all seem positive.

]
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Manatee
I don't think "same sex groups" would exclude you anyway Rattle, or even two blokes for that matter. It's the late night drinking and carousing until all hours keeping everybody else awake that they're trying to avoid.
Yeah single sex groups probably wouldn't exclude me, and I have stayed in those places with two of my mates in the past, sometimes they say no, other times they count groups as being 4 or more.

The site I saw said "couples and families only" so I am excluded in that.

Need to find a good balance too, don't want some where too quiet, as I might end up popping into a pub and not getting back to the tent till 11:00, on the other hand the other place is full can be rowdy in the early hours which is too much although in the week is much quieter, and at weekend they tend to put the groups in a different field now.

I don't want any bother from the site staff if I have my torch on at 11:30 at night reading the latest Autocar and listening to Echo and Bunneymen on low volume on my PX100s. At the same time I don't want to be next to a load of youths drinking till 3:00am in the morning.
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Ted

Time you moved further afield, Ratso.......try the Brecon Beacons and the Elan Valley area.
Good motoring roads.

I'm going down on the bike in 3 weeks...nice little site at Pen-Y-Bont. About 130 miles, I think. Just go where you want in the field...newish shower block and pub next door with it's own gate to the site. Take a torch for the midnight beer stumble down the track, though !

Mixed grill is legendary, several real ales on........can't wait. Been polishing the bike today and changed the oil and filter. Down to Shrewsbury, brekkie at Prees on the way, take the road through Pontesbury and Minsterley with coffee and cake at Clun.

Ted
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - rtj70
>> try the Brecon Beacons and the Elan Valley area. Good motoring roads.

When I visit family in south Wales, I usually come back via the A roads including going via the Brecon Beacons. A lot nicer than using all motorways back to Manchester.

Pleasantly surprised at how the Vx Insignia Sri I had recently was on those roads. Very good.

I am sure Rattle would enjoy the drive and the camping.
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - bathtub tom
>>Down to Shrewsbury, brekkie at Prees on the way, take the road through Pontesbury and Minsterley with coffee and cake at Clun.

I had an evening meal at the White Horse inn, Clun, only last week. A couple of very pleasant brews on tap. Sad to see the Buffalo's closed.
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - bathtub tom
Missed the edit!

I'll add I only drive this road about once a year. I love the run from Shrewsbury, as long as I don't get caught behind a Minsterley Motors bus. This right-hander finds me usually approaching it too fast. The sign's prophetic! g.co/maps/zdje
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Ted

This always amuses me...on the A44 approaching Pen-Y-Bont...

tinyurl.com/3vko6fx

Nice coffee shop opposite the post office in Clun.
Home made chocolate cake to die for !

Ted
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Pat
But is Rattle going in the Panda...or is he taking the train:)

Pat
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Duncan
Ratty! Are you sure that you haven't overlooked the obvious?

Why not move in with R.P. for the week? Genial host, chat about bikes and cars. He is English, so you would understand what he is saying.

What's not to like?
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Iffy
...What's not to like?...

His missus is a copper. :)

Going back to the OP, surely the answer is to book as Mr and Mrs Rats and take the financial hit, which I'm guessing will be limited.

Any questions on arrival, which there won't be, but the answer would be: 'Mrs Rats is ill, but we decided not to waste the booking entirely.'

>> Ratty! Are you sure that you haven't overlooked the obvious?
>>
>> Why not move in with R.P. for the week? Genial host, chat about bikes and
>> cars. He is English, so you would understand what he is saying.
>>
>> What's not to like?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGntH-aOlWU
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Bigtee
Get yourself on a 18-30 holiday have lots of drunken sex and lots of beach fun.

Yes camping on your own is ok for 2x nights but does get boring take a friend have you any?
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - Dog
>>Get yourself on a 18-30 holiday have lots of drunken sex and lots of beach fun<<

And return home with lots of diseases.
>>The sign's prophetic!

Reading that reminded me of this one that you correctly guessed was on the A44 at Fish Hill near Broadway BT -

tinyurl.com/dxj8k6
Sorry, proper link:

goo.gl/OtKZ3

and the bend itself

goo.gl/BNQYw

the sign appears before the bend going up hill from left to right.

And return home with lots of diseases. Condoms are the answer.

Just say to yourself " me not daft me not silly me whack condom on my willy"

Your a young lad ratts enjoy life go abroad have fun single camping is for old men.
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - MD
Not everybody wants loud and gross company though. Groups of blokes are a pain.
>>Just say to yourself " me not daft me not silly me whack condom on my willy"<<

Or, as my mate 'have it and run' Charlie used to say - always wear an overcoat!
Groups of blokes are a pain. Yes but add groups of women have a orgy. :-)
I tend to travel a lot and take a lot of pictures, it can get a bit boring but I once did a week (though staying in hotels and B&Bs) in the south west and I enjoyed it, no arguments :). The point is to get away from technology etc.

I spend all weekend with my mates, and they can't do anything in the week because they have jois which confirm to normal society.

Got the punk festival again next August but this we are going for four days, that is my loud mouthed riot holiday. 18-30 is my complete idea of hell. I am into rock/punk/alternative and the idea of bars which play chart music is my idea of hell.
http//www.coolcamping.co.uk

Very good site - plenty of tenting bargains as well.
 Anybody have any issues single camping? - devonite
>>Is it likely they will have a problem with a single person wanting to make a booking?<<

Only if they think you`ll be loitering within tent!!
>>Only if they think you`ll be loitering within tent!!<<

Very droll, devonike.

:-D
Latest Forum Posts