Non-motoring > Who do I know I am? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 28

Who do I know I am? - Stuu
Just had it confirmed, I share a great grandparent ( 10 times ) with the Queen of England, through the Bowes-Lyon family.

Bow down subjects :-p

I knew some of my great-great grandfathers ancestors were wealthy, but I didnt quite expect that kind of connection as they were only minor aristocracy. 400 years is a great leveller.
 Who do I know I am? - R.P.
Bow down subjects :-p

I'm a Citizen not subjugated to anyone....come the revolution etc etc...

Wanders off whistling "We'll turn Buckingham Palace into a public lavatory" to the tune of the Red Flag..:-)
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 28 Aug 11 at 20:43
Seize him! :-p
 Who do I know I am? - Lygonos
Due to the wonders of mathematics, you'll find everyone on this forum, unless they are directly descended from Australian aboriginals, is distantly related to all of the early medieval Kings/Queens/Popes/Tyrants/etc.
Im lucky that one of my great grandfathers helped a publisher write a book in 1888 which has information that cannot be found in records alone, all about the family and the various avenues they went down.

This one goes off through Rev Samuel Peploe who id heard off from the book, but never realised where the trail went until today.

Still, ill take it.
 Who do I know I am? - Zero

>> which has information that cannot be found in records alone,

In English that means "an unsubstantiated pack of lies"
Well the documents exist, they just arent easy to get to, but the history books back up the family history, what I mean by cannot be found is that without knowing where to look, its a needle in a haystack - when you do know its fairly easy.
 Who do I know I am? - Cliff Pope
>> Due to the wonders of mathematics,
>>

I don't thinks it's anything to do with mathematics. It's because:

1) historically people have tended to have more than 2 children, so the population has expanded
2) those children have generally interbred widely, thus expanding the gene pool.

If, for example, the population of Skye had remained constant for 5000 years and they had never interbred with anyone from the mainland, then modern islanders would not be descended from Henry VIII, Genghis Khan, Lloyd George, etc, and would probably be unrelated to everyone else on this forum.
 Who do I know I am? - sherlock47
>>>If, for example, the population of Skye had remained constant for 5000 years and they had never interbred with anyone <<<

They would probably all have 3 eyes, cloven feet, and be covered in long white hair by now;)

Who do I know I am? - Runfer D'Hills
Lots of people are descended from Henry the Eighth. Allegedly he put himself about a bit and to be fair, it would help to explain why there are so many fat, ugly, ginger people around even now.

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 28 Aug 11 at 20:55
 Who do I know I am? - R.P.
Lloyd George has a "reputation" especially in the Caernarfon area. Not so much a case of Lloyd George knew my father but Lloyd George was my father....beautifully recounted in an anecdote by Roy Hattersly when I went to see him in a recent talk he gave.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 28 Aug 11 at 21:03
 Who do I know I am? - Dog
>>Allegedly he put himself about a bit and to be fair, it would help to explain why there are so many fat, ugly, ginger people around even no<<

You lot have never got over Flodden, have you!

>> Just had it confirmed, I share a great grandparent ( 10 times ) with the
>> Queen of England, through the Bowes-Lyon family.

According to the "6 degrees of separation" theory, this means you are 4 times further away than the rest of us.
But by the magic of rich folk documenting their family history, I know for sure :-)
 Who do I know I am? - bathtub tom
I'd love to see you trying to get your share of the rent for Cornwall out of old bug-gerlugs. ;>)
I know, problem with wealth is that it gets depleated with every generation.

One of the family houses is on sale atm www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16712271.html - I wouldnt say no if someone wants to leave it me.

Im related to the house thro the Simpson family.
 Who do I know I am? - Dog
>>One of the family houses is on sale atm www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16712271.html<<

Shame they can't afford a decent telly though!

>> Im related to the house thro the Simpson family.

Homer or Bart?
 Who do I know I am? - Avant
Or Ernest & Wallis?
 Who do I know I am? - MD
>> I'd love to see you trying to get your share of the rent for Cornwall
>> out of old bug-gerlugs. ;>)
>>
Mrs. MD hates him and blames him for everything as far as I can ascertain. She describes his head like a taxi with the doors open.

I quite like the chap.
 Who do I know I am? - Fursty Ferret
Thread title needs correcting, Your Holiness:

"Who does one know one is?"

Doesn't make any more sense, but if you're going to be posh and royal etc you may as well do it properly.
 Who do I know I am? - swiss tony
>> Thread title needs correcting, Your Holiness:
>>
>> "Who does one know one is?"
>>

Surely that should be;

''Does one know, whom one is?''
I think ill have to be the black sheep, cant be doing wiv all dat posh talk like.
 Who do I know I am? - Cliff Pope
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>> Surely that should be;
>>
>> ''Does one know, whom one is?''
>>

No, the verb to be takes a complement, not an object, so it remains nominative.
 Who do I know I am? - Iffy
...No, the verb to be takes a complement, not an object, so it remains nominative...

Many people find grammar dull and boring.

But it can not be as dull and boring as dead relations, particularly the dead relations of other people.

Who do I know I am? - madf
>> ...No, the verb to be takes a complement, not an object, so it remains nominative...
>>
>> Many people find grammar dull and boring.
>>
>> But it can not be as dull and boring as dead relations, particularly the dead
>> relations of other people.
>>
>>
>>

You are being unkind as we are related.. a common ancestor left Africa some 80,000 years ago..
I thought it was a light hearted giggle, true perhaps, but some people do feel the need to highlight just how miserable they can be :-)
 Who do I know I am? - Iffy
Unkind? Miserable?

I have a cynical old hack persona to keep up.

I rather like the royal family, but it does tickle my commoner within that she comes for partially the same stock.
Latest Forum Posts