Non-motoring > Cold summer. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 24

Cold summer. - Old Navy
Any ideas what we will be taxed on when Global climate warming change is eventually exposed as a scam?

tinyurl.com/4xfdylt
 Cold summer. - corax
But we had the hottest spring since records began..
 Cold summer. - Old Navy
That was the reflection of the sun off the four feet of snow we had here.
 Cold summer. - Bromptonaut
If climate change affects the gulf stream we'll get a good bit colder yet.

It might be duff science or disproven as a dead end cock up. No scam/conspiracy could involve so many scientists.
 Cold summer. - Stuu
>>No scam/conspiracy could involve so many scientists<<

Large numbers if people can convince themselves of most things that further their own ends, the idea that scientists are somehow above the norm is naive.

Who would get funding of they wanted to potentially disprove global warming? Answer: nobody because nobody that matters wants that to happen.
Last edited by: FoR on Wed 31 Aug 11 at 22:21
 Cold summer. - Cliff Pope
>> >> disprove global warming? Answer: nobody because
>> nobody that matters wants that to happen.
>>

Except the makers of patio heaters.
 Cold summer. - WillDeBeest
Oh for heaven's sake! How does the weather in one small wet island tell us anything about the global climate?

Read some science, ON. Learn how it works. Nothing is ever taken as absolutely true (which can't be said of the creationists and their benighted ilk). What is sometimes described as scientific orthodoxy is really nothing of the kind: it is only the best we can do with the evidence available. Religions and tyrannies work by moulding or hiding the evidence to fit the orthodoxy; science tends towards consensus based on the evidence, and any proper scientist would be content to discard a theory overnight if the evidence disproved it.

Using words like 'scam' in this context merely makes you sound ignorant and foolish. The scientific consensus is that anthropogenic climate change is real and serious. A small minority of a very large community disagree (they may be right - see above - but it seems unlikely) and their views are given undue prominence by vested interests and benign but misguided entities like the BBC, which has a tendency to mistake science for politics and give equal weight to both sides.

Don't worry, there's a lot of scientific illiteracy about. How else would homeopaths make a living?

No smiley. This stuff matters.

And Stu: Who would get funding of they wanted to potentially disprove global warming? Answer: nobody because nobody that matters wants that to happen.

Come off it! Exxon Mobil, to name just one, hasn't been stingy with funding for just this sort of thing.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 31 Aug 11 at 22:45
 Cold summer. - Stuu
What study have they funded?

I have a problem when scientists change the questions to fit their answers.

Its been global warming, second ice age, currently climate change which suggests they dont actually know whats going to happen, its like standing by the M25 and claiming that for sure you will see a car going one way or another.

If these people are so smart, why wont they tell us whats going to happen, why cant they make up their minds, I mean if the science is indisputable, fair enough, but if I believed everything I read from the climate change lobby, we will have another ice age and at the same time temperatures will rise - Im no scientist but that doesnt make a whole deal of sense to me.
 Cold summer. - WillDeBeest
Stu, you've fallen into the wishful thinker's trap: science admits that an issue is complicated and has many facets. The media report these one at a time, without stepping back to show how the bigger picture of consensus is emerging. The wishful thinker misinterprets this as contradiction and reasons "They don't know any more than I do, so I can do as I like".

Here, incidentally, is a report of one vested interest pumping up the minority view:
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/5720655/ExxonMobil-funds-climate-change-sceptics.html
 Cold summer. - Stuu
Since Im having actions force upon me due to science, I dont feel its unjust to ask what is it based on - if its certain that climate change is happening, then there must be some certainties about the evidence or you cant say anything is certain to happen.

Im not a blooming wishful thinker, I want a straight answer that is actually consistant.

Climate change is a stupid term because it covers just about everything, its like a weatherman saying 'Today folks, there will be some weather', I dont want to know that change will happen, I want to know what change will happen - either the guys who say warming is correct or the guys who say cooling is correct are right, but that means one is wrong doesnt it?

I dont care if its complicated, scientists are supposed to be intelligent, to know what they are talking about, but their predictions cover the entire range of possibilities, which amounts to no consensus at all.

I dont really mind covering the what if scenario, but I get sick to death of so-called intelligent people fobbing the public off with predictions that are in no way definative and therefore just a best guess, but the climate change lobby talks as if its all signed and sealed, which science never is, but people just love riding the bandwagon.

All this hell in a handcart talk just turns me off, serious people dont need to be alarmist, they need to be constructive and measured, of which there seems precious little going about when talking about climate change.
 Cold summer. - devonite
if........we reuse a Carrier bag, recycle a can, and pay all the "green taxes" that are levied upon us, then all the volcanoes in the "Pacific ring of fire" can have no effect on us or climate change! - so just put yer paws in yer pockets an pay up!
 Cold summer. - Lygonos
Fortunately China aren't building 2 new coal-fired power stations per week to supply us with tat that then needs to travel 10,000miles.
 Cold summer. - Dog
This is for Dutchie mainly, as I know he's maladjusted (like me!)

It's a 75 minute video showing 'life as we know it' is about be put on hold ... The end of civilisation :(

Anyone know where I can purchase large tins of dried egg powder (Ive got the coal in + own water supply etc.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHZkUiRP30 (not suitable for adults, maybe)
 Cold summer. - Zero
Stu, you cant dispute that climate change isn't actually happening. Its changed in my time on the planet.

However, the cause, effect and severity is all open for interpretation.
 Cold summer. - Stuu
I never said I dispute it. I dispute the motives of SOME people involved in the alarmist stuff and most of all, if these top scientists know anything at all for certain, then governments are clearly ignoring them because nothing much has changed.
 Cold summer. - madf
We are of course in a cooling cycle just now...

(The climate has cycles which go from hot to cold.... iirc the short term cycle is about 20 years. Pity most of the supporters of climate change are scientifically illiterate and don't read anything but the bare bones. You need a degree in physics , maths or meteorology to be able to begin to read most of the scientific papers.

The Met Office of course forecast the UK would have hot summers and cool (not cold) winters. And they are supposed to be climate change experts).

The Met Office are forecasting a cold winter this year..
Last edited by: madf on Thu 1 Sep 11 at 12:01
 Cold summer. - Iffy
It's global wetting in sodden North Yorkshire.

Good thing I bought a caravan with a watertight roof.

Cold summer. - Meldrew
As I walked into town today I saw a mountain ash/rowan tree covered withe berries and remembered the old adage about lots of berries meaning a harsh winter and 20 minutes later I was reading in my paper about a forecast for cold October and November and worse to follow
 Cold summer. - devonite
>>a mountain ash/rowan tree covered withe berries and remembered the old adage about lots of berries meaning a harsh winter<<

Sadly old addages are a changing! - the one you quote used to be correct, now it just means that when you see a tree full of berries, there is a severe decline of blackbirds,Thrushes, and other assorted "berry-eatin Dickeys" in the area! - i blame climate change!!!! ;-)
Last edited by: devonite on Thu 1 Sep 11 at 13:52
 Cold summer. - R.P.
Stunningly beautiful here today - just done a six mile portion of the Anglesey Costal Path, just like Greece here today but not quite as hot, no mosquitos...pretty nice summer's day !
 Cold summer. - Dog
>>Stunningly beautiful here today<<

Same here in pasty country, quite hot too, in the sun, I've just been cleaning my white boundary walls with Wilco's moss & algae cleaner (I'd rather be out walking!)
 Cold summer. - CGNorwich
Sorry to disillusion you of on old adages but trees are unable to predict the future. The reason why trees such as mountain ash are fruiting heavily this year is because of the low rainfall or near drought in the spring. When plants are stressed they will try to maximise their fruiting capacity, a mechanism that ensures the continuance of their DNA.

Fruit farmers sometimes take advantage of this process by root pruning to shock a non fruiting tree into productivity.
 Cold summer. - R.P.
22 degrees on the X1's thermometer just now coming back from the Mazda garage - MX5 in for service - nice...
 Cold summer. - Dave
"The reason why trees such as mountain ash are fruiting heavily this year is because of the low rainfall or near drought in the spring"

We've got plenty of berries here this year- and we had no drought or low rainfall in the spring. But then last year there were virtually no berries, and it was a moderate winter. Whereas the year before that the trees were nearly collapsing under the weight of berries, and it was a very cold winter.

Maybe the trees are better at predicting future weather than the global warming scientists!
 Cold summer. - DP
I just remember the tales of doom from the climate change lobby a decade or so ago saying we could expect constantly warmer weather as the years went by. That's all gone strangely quiet, and "global warming" has been rebranded "climate change" to coincide with the harsh winters and cold, wet summers of late.

At the end of the day, there is absolutely nothing that I, as an individual, can do about it, whether it is true or not. So I find my mind turning to more pressing priorities, such as work, paying the bills and so on.

Selfish? Probably.
Latest Forum Posts