Non-motoring > Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 20

Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Skoda
I have a raft of OSB panels and a whole bunch of 3.6m 2"x1" lumber left-overs.

I'd like to do something with them, but i can't think what. Any ideas or suggestions?
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - BobbyG
I used the Sterling Board to line the inside of my concrete garage and the timber you have would make ideal strapping to screw on to.

Alternatively I will take the strapping off your hands and chop up for kindling!
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Iffy
OSB panels?

Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Zero
Oriented Strand Board (OSB)

OS B is specifically designed to be one of the most dependable, versatile, environmentally efficient wood panels available. OS B is structurally engineered for performance in a wide variety of industrial uses, including roofing, wall sheathing, flooring, site hoarding and packaging.

It looks a bit like chipboard designed by Salvador Dali
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 1 Sep 11 at 09:07
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Iffy
Bit posher than MDF, then?

Sorry, medium density fibre board.

Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Zero
Its rougher!
OSB was a new one on me too. I called it LDF when I saw it but was promptly corrected! Saw mills seem to call it Stirling board.

It's not a nice enough finish on it's own for any facing work (was thinking planters or something) and painting it would still look a bit rough - it's not got the smooth finish of MDF or plywood.

Makes a good enough garage roof but Bobby's lining idea seems about the only other thing.
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Mapmaker
I first came across it in 1994 when it was only available in the States produced by Weyerhaeuser. I watched a fascinating video on its production.

Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - sherlock47
Was there a similar (but inferior) product around in the UK in the early 70s? I remember seeing the remnants of a saturated roof where the felting had failed, and the strand fibres had just turned to mush!

I assume that the newer variant does not disintegrate when wet?
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Mapmaker
It expands beautifully when wet. If submerged for a week or two it will double in thickness and then disintegrate.
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - sherlock47
I can only think that it must be much cheaper than using waterproof plywood? What other advantages?
Seems a bit of a lemon as far as i can see. Think in future i'd buy something a bit more versatile unless i needed lots for one particular large job.
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - neiltoo
>> Was there a similar (but inferior) product around in the UK in the early 70s?
>> I remember seeing the remnants of a saturated roof where the felting had failed, and
>> the strand fibres had just turned to mush!
>>
>> I assume that the newer variant does not disintegrate when wet?
>>

This may have been a product called Stramit, which was a 2 inch panel of compressed staw, held together with a cementitious compound. It had pressed metal edge strips to intelock as a roof deck, but was seriously dependant on the then current felt roof technology, which was not good.
We had endless fun re-roofing relatively new schools in the sixties. 8o)

You could get it with cardboard faces to use as internal partitions, which were quite good, being quite rigid and sound resistant.
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - BobbyG
Is Sterling board not used for roofs? We had some left over after the extension was built, not sure what it was used for but I think it may have been on the roof?
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - MD
OSB 3 laid today to form a flat Fibreglass roof. Excellent stuff.
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Cliff Pope
>> Any ideas or
>> suggestions?
>>

Firewood?
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - zookeeper
i made the mistake of using sterling board for compo spots when i built my brothers wall, they tend to break up when wet and constantly scraped with a trowel, only 3/4 inch ply fits the bill for such jobs
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - devonite
make a box to store all this spare wood in!
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Fursty Ferret
Climbing wall inside your garage?

toddthahn.com/outdoors/climbing_wall
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Pat
Just put it on Feecycle or Freagle and let someone come and collect it who really needs it.

Pat
 Woodwork plans & ideas for OSB - Fenlander
OSB is a great value strong long lasting material for locations not exposed to direct rain. There are dozens of sheets here lining workshop/stables etc, also as an initial roof material prior to felt or corrugated. Also have a door made from it on one building and that has withstood a couple of years without any signs of rot.. it is sheltered from the south westerlies though.
Latest Forum Posts