Non-motoring > Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 12

Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - BobbyG
I have reason to complain about my surgery, due to prescribing medication that I should not have been given, even though I specifically queried if I should be taking it.

Is it a good idea to complain about the person who you will be going to over the next how many years? Is it similar to the old adage of not sending a meal back as you never know what will be dished up in its place to you?

I am not looking for compensation or anything like that, I am simply wanting to, in the cold light of day, point out all the inaccuracies that have happened and show them that they have fundamental issues in their methods of operating.

Thoughts?
 Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - Zero
I assume you are making a complaint about a single Doctor. You can of course change your doctor or your practise.

this is how you complain

www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/making_a_complaint/a_patients_guide.asp
 Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - Lygonos
Yes.

The Practice Manager or receptionist should give you information on how to complain and a complaints form.

If a mistake is made and the practice doesn't appear to take it seriously find another GP.

Any professional with any sense will see a complaint as a potential learning experience.
 Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - Dutchie
I wasn't happy either with my surgery the other day.I should have had tablets three days ago,doctor rang me about it.She forgot, could't be bothered to sort out the prescription for me and I was send from pillow to post.

I complained to the dispensery.Picking up the tablets today.I have also noticed they cutting cost everywhere cheaper tablets which i couldn't swallow.

Are the torys messing about again with the NHS while it was just picking itself up after years of underspending.Or should i say spending money in the wrong quarters.

Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - Meldrew
I'd be inclined to make an appointment to see the doctor and have a face-to-face discussion before going into print and making it official. A practice near me has 18 doctors, 16 nurses and over 40,000 patients, easy to change doctor there! By contrast I have a 2 doctor (husband and wife) practice that I deal with. I have had no complaints in 12 years but changing doctor would mean changing practice which isn't easy in a rural area, time and distance etc
 Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - Dutchie
I my case the Doctor I see regulary is on holiday Meldrew.But which ever doctor I see the records are on the computer.I have every respect for Doctors but some take more care than others.
 Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - Old Navy
>> I'd be inclined to make an appointment to see the doctor and have a face-to-face
>> discussion before going into print and making it official.

I agree, continuity and being a regular customer helps.

I order my repeat presriptions online and collect them from the local chemist shop. On one occasion there was a problem and the chemist had not received the scrip. As I was in their computer system they supplied the drugs (five different ones) and sorted the paperwork without question.
 Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - Iffy
If Bobby knows of the mistake, I assume the GP is also aware of it, so I'm not sure what a formal complaint would achieve.

The medical profession - in common with many others - is very good at closing ranks when a mere punter has the temerity to question its expertise.

I expect Bobby would be patted on the head and told: 'You don't understand.'

Prescribing is not an exact science, so if Bobby could find a professional witness to say a mistake was made, you can bet the GP would find two others who would say otherwise.

Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - BobbyG
my specific complaint was that I was given a months supply of medication along with other items. When i got my repeat, I received a further month of this. On the instructions it stated do not take for more than 28 days. I queried this twice with the receptionist who assured me I had to take it, so a doctor was obviously signing these prescriptions.

Three months later I went back to the consultant at the hospital who went ballistic when he heard I was still getting this medication.

I have compiled a letter to the surgery along the lines of this shouldn't have happened, here's my side of the story as this may help you in finding out why this happened.

But when you go to the local chemist and they blatantly say that they have so many issues with the prescriptions coming up from that surgery, then I think it's time for some honest feedback!
 Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - Old Navy
If you believe a receptionist rather than printed instructions.............
 Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - sherlock47
If the consultant was that concerned why not let him take it up with doctor. It safeguards your relationship with the doctor, particularly if you are not in a position to change practice.

But based on what the chemist has said, I think I would be looking to change.
 Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - Iffy
My doctor described many chemists as 'hopeless' after one made a mess of a prescription.

I think there's an element of each party blaming the other.

Lodging a complaint about your GP Surgery - Dog
Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see,

All it takes is a couple of clicks to access the manufacturers recommendations, on any medication.
Latest Forum Posts