Non-motoring > Have they stopped making Camay soap? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 22

Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Dave_
Dad mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago that Sainsburys had stopped selling it, and he couldn't find it in Tesco either. I looked in Superdrug and Wilkinsons for it without success, and having just fruitlessly searched a couple of supermarket websites and even Procter & Gamble's brand list I'm wondering if it's no longer made. Anyone know?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 7 Sep 11 at 17:00
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - devonite
Still available all over the web! with one site (Ocado) even proclaiming it to be a product of Mexico! albeit still made by Proctor and Gamble!
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Clk Sec
How much do you want, Dave?

tinyurl.com/3lxrctf
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Zero
Your Dad uses Camay?
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Dave_
>> Your dad uses Camay?

It's just the brand mum had for years in a little soapdish by the kitchen sink. He stocks up on household stuff like that, he's probably down to his last 4-pack.

>> What's wrong with Swarfega?

He's got plenty of that too :)

Agreed, there are a few sites still listing it (Ocado being one) but I get the feeling he'd like to buy it in person, from a shop.
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - spamcan61
As devonite states, still available via Ocado:-

www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=camay&SortBy=3

..but not Tesco, Sainsbury's or Asda, from the same site.

I did notice in Sainsbury's a couple of weeks back the range of 'liquid soap' type products has grown compared to proper soap, presumably a higher profit margin.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 7 Sep 11 at 17:25
Also just discovered to my dismay! Wrights coal-Tar soap no longer contains Coal-Tar, as its non-prescription! - it now contains Tree-Tee oil instead as the main anti-bacterial agent, and is made in (wait for it........) Turkey!!
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Zero
Tea Tree oil is good stuff.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil

Specially compared to Coal Tar

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_tar
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 7 Sep 11 at 17:38
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Robin O'Reliant
What's wrong with Swarfega?

Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Manatee
>>Also just discovered to my dismay! Wrights coal-Tar soap no longer contains Coal-Tar,

There's been a bar in my sock drawer for years - I'll take more care of it now. Might ebay it ;-)
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Runfer D'Hills
It might fetch the tar off your tyres mind...

:-)
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Roger.
I think it's that pink is out of fashion - I cannot find original pink Windowlene these days.
It's much better than smeary-making thin, watery, glass cleaners.
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 7 Sep 11 at 19:44
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Armel Coussine
It may have been fabulous and pink, but it smelt awful and failed signally to make me a little lovelier each day.

It seems to be virtually impossible to find soap in Boots or any supermarket. It's hidden away low down in some invisible corner and sometimes there's nothing there that you would want. It's getting so you almost have to go to France to get it. There's never the slightest problem there.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 7 Sep 11 at 20:05
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - mikeyb
You can get windolene wipes at waitrose!

www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-12326-Windolene+Wipes+4+action+system
Reminds me of my Dad. Wrights coal tar soap, Old Spice if he was feeling the occasion demanded it, safety razor with shaving soap and a brush, Brylcreem and Euthymol tooth powder. Right Guard in his later years once he decided it wasn't going to turn him effeminate. Oh and Vosene shampoo.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 7 Sep 11 at 20:12
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Iffy
Shampoo?

Posh, was he?

My grandmother used to wash my hair with a bar of Sunlight soap, or Pears if she was feeling flush.

specially pour-vous!

systemhygiene.co.uk/products/housekeeping/window-cleaning/windolene-pink-cream-6x500ml-product.html
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - R.P.
Dove now for us - cheap enough in Asda....
We prefer pheasant...
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - R.P.
Are you game then ?
Ooer...
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Stuartli
>>I cannot find original pink Windowlene these days. It's much better than smeary-making thin, watery, glass cleaners.>>

Try the W5 glass cleaner from Lidl. It's excellent as are most of the W5 products.
 Have they stopped making Camay soap? - Manatee
>> It might fetch the tar off your tyres mind...
>>
>> :-)
>>

That's the most sensible suggestion I've had so far!
Latest Forum Posts