Non-motoring > Baha Mousa Inquiry complete Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 24

Baha Mousa Inquiry complete - sooty123
After a year it is complete. What do we think on here?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14825889
 Baha Mousa Inquiry complete - Iffy
An inquiry is probably appropriate, but it should not cost £13m.

I suppose part of the costs would have been to travel to Basra, I think they spoke to over 300 people. But who knows, good racket for lawyers these government inquiries.
 Baha Mousa Inquiry complete - Bromptonaut
Breakdown of the costs here:

www.bahamousainquiry.org/costs/index.htm
 Baha Mousa Inquiry complete - Old Navy
>> I suppose part of the costs would have been to travel to Basra, I think
>> they spoke to over 300 people. But who knows, good racket for lawyers these government
>> inquiries.
>>

Travel to basra! A few people in the back of a Hercules does not cost more than a first class air fare. Just a lawyers gravy train.

IMO it was a breakdown of discipline, a badly run outfit. I can figure that out for no fee.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Sep 11 at 16:36
Having looked at the link, it would seem so. Nearly £7m on legal costs and a (to me) very high figure of £3m for IT.

Yeah that's how I saw it as well ON. No-one got a grip of the situatio, either totally incompentance or turning a blind eye.
What has this inquiry told us?

A soldier beat the wotsit out of a civilian.

We knew that, the soldier's already been thrown out of the army and locked up for a year.

I still can't get over the cost.

Baha Mousa Inquiry complete - Zero
I wonder what they expect. You take a bloke, you break him down then build him up to accept all manner of hardship, violence as a trade, how to kill in myriad ways, accept any order given, and then wonder why some bloke (probably only a temporary non combatant at that) in a conflict zone, gets his head kicked in?
 Baha Mousa Inquiry complete - R.P.
Disgraceful behaviour by any measure of a civilized behaviour by an army of occupation. Inexcusable - and the Army wonder why they become hated. Just listened to the gentle dignified response from the victim's father - these people should hang their heads in shame.
At the end of the day, the army shouldn't have been there. Don't blame the guys they send in, blame the people who send them in there.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 8 Sep 11 at 19:26
 Baha Mousa Inquiry complete - R.P.
I do - It's the MoD that I blame. This country was unfit for war, this mob had had billions poured into it by successive governments, this scenario must have been forseen, if not they are even more negligent. Mind you doesn't excuse the basic thuggery either.
I lay the blame further up the food chain.

Basically it was an Army of Occupation. Politically Its a damn fine close thing to separate the British in Iraq from the Wehrmacht in France!
They were lawfully sent to do a job, albeit one that involves killing people.

The blame for the army equivalent of PC Savage being allowed to run out of control lies with those who were sent to supervise him - the officers.

I've had time to have a quick look through the report. All sorts of blind eyes turned and people without the courage to stand up and say stop.
Absolutely nothing to do with the MOD, they are a bunch of civilian desk pilots probably more concerned about what the missus is cooking for dinner.

It was a breakdown of military discipline.

Just as the riots were a breakdown of civil discipline.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Sep 11 at 20:40
It has everything to do with the MoD they are top of the chain of command. There are plenty of uniforms in there, who should be concerned as the civilians in there no doubt are.
>> It has everything to do with the MoD they are top of the chain of
>> command. There are plenty of uniforms in there, who should be concerned as the civilians
>> in there no doubt are.
>>

And how many of them were on the ground in Basra?
How many of who?
>> How many of who?
>>

MOD staff.
All of them would be MoD staff. Do you mean people who have posts in the MoD or CS?
>> All of them would be MoD staff. Do you mean people who have posts in
>> the MoD or CS?
>>

Rubbish, MOD staff, civilian or military, do not take part in front line operations.
They do leave their posts (mil) and go on the front line either short term from the main building or long term ie 6 months , civi less so but they do leave camp and go out on the ground and all main bases have have civi who are employed by the MoD.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 8 Sep 11 at 21:19
I concede they do visit, usually briefly, as did I when I was there, but have no command or supervisory role.
>> I concede they do visit, usually briefly, as did I when I was there, but
>> have no command or supervisory role.
>>

Missed the edit.

I assumed by MOD staff you meant the MOD London staff in the context of the inquiry. I realise there are MOD employees (as opposed to staff) in most military bases as administrators etc, but they have no input to command or supervision.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 8 Sep 11 at 21:33
 Baha Mousa Inquiry complete - Armel Coussine
>> It was a breakdown of military discipline.

>> Just as the riots were a breakdown of civil discipline.

Yes. And much as I hate to admit it, Iffy was right: the officers were most to blame.
Latest Forum Posts