Non-motoring > Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 17

Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb - VxFan
Dialling 141 in front of the number you're calling doesn't withhold your number any more.

I rarely withhold my number anyway, but it was nice to have that luxury to remain anonymous to certain people I call. Compaines who think nothing of selling your number on to other third parties for example.

Not sure if this is the same with other networks as well.

A googling mentions prefixing the number with #31# instead of 141 will let you withhold your number to protect your anonymity.
 Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb - Iffy
There's a free service which enables you to dial 0800 numbers free from your mobile - most operators charge, even if you are within your calling allowance.

I think it re-routes the call via a different landline number each time, so the person you are calling will not get your mobile number.

The service doesn't work if you want to call an ordinary landline number, but I thought it might be of general interest to members:

www.0800buster.co.uk/

Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb - Stuartli
According to this BT link 141 does block your number (i.e. you can't check who called by dialling 1471):

tinyurl.com/3grad6x
 Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb - rtj70
I just tried both O2 and Vodafone with a 141 prefix. They still work. I wonder why Tesco has done this? Doesn't Tesco use O2?
 Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb - Dave_
There should be a setting in your phone's menu - "Send my caller ID". The options are yes, no, and "set by network". Just set it to "no" if you want to withhold your number on an outgoing call. :)
But if you only want to withhold the number for a single call then it's easier to use 141. Usually I would want my number shown.
 Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb - Dave_
>> if you only want to withhold the number for a single call then it's easier to use 141

Agreed, but the number of times I think I've purposely withheld my number over the last few years is in single figures. If you really don't want it being sent then the few extra key-presses to change the settings before and after the call are worthwhile.
 Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb - Redviper
I only use it, when I want to contact my ex-girlfr........oops, I've said to much

;-)
 Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb - VxFan
I'm beginning to think this is an iPhone thing. Just tried my SIM in another phone and it withheld the number when I prefixed it with 141. Can't try another SIM in my iPhone as I don't have another mini SIM other than my Tesco one.

Yes, you can go into the menu settings on the iPhone and switch off caller ID, but it is a PITA if you only want to occasionally withhold a number.

edit - Googling suggests it is an iPhone 'feature' too.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 10 Sep 11 at 00:20
 Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb - R.P.
My iPhone won't handle 141 either (O2)
I tried it on O2 (Nokia e51) and Vodafone (Samsung Galaxy S). I wonder if it's because this 'feature' isn't something they have in America so Apple didn't implement it?
I was wondering that as well. Does it work on the other phones ?
But thinking of that Rob, the network wouldn't care what brand of phone the pulse tones would come from - once it got the 141 tone it should implement the masking feature regardless of brand or origin of the phone.
I'm thinking the phone is removing the 141 though. I wonder if anyone with an iPhone on another network can comment? What network are you on zero?
I'll try my wife's Orange iPhone in a minute....just waiting for her to dish out homemade blackberry/apple pie and a dollop of Lidl's finest custard...

Edit....just tried it iPhone4 on Orange and 141 masks the number - clearly an 02 thing (Tesco runs on that network doesn't it ?)
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 10 Sep 11 at 15:45
Tesco does indeed run on O2 as a virtual mobile network.

Went for a walk earlier and picked a load of blackberries along the way. To go with the masses of apple's off our tree. :-)
You can use 141 on Blackberries
 Tesco mobile & dialling 141 to withhold your numb - Runfer D'Hills
www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=kAG39jKi0lI
Latest Forum Posts