Non-motoring > Forum signatures Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 36

Forum signatures - Dave_
Taking my inspiration from a post in the T-shirt strapline thread, I've added a signature to my forum posts. Why doesn't anybody else have one?

Memorable signatures from days gone by included "What's for you won't pass you by", "I wasna' fu' but just had plenty" and "Parp, parp"...

EDIT: Although it hasn't appeared on this post, oddly.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 9 Sep 11 at 20:04
 Forum signatures - Redviper
> Taking my inspiration from a post in the T-shirt strapline thread, I've added a signature
>> to my forum posts. Why doesn't anybody else have one?
>>
Where they not disabled from the HJ site? So no one used them from there
Old habbits, and all that?

Forum signatures - R.P.
I've asked the other mods for their views. I voted for them as long as they are decent etc.. I already know what Humph will have.
 Forum signatures - Runfer D'Hills
Eh what?
 Forum signatures - Dave_
The option's still there in the "My settings" window, it just doesn't show up in posts. :(

You can tell I'm already lost for things to do now I'm not working Friday nights any more. :)

EDIT: Pre-empting Humph's sig, there's only two of us so with the seats down our bikes fit nicely in the back.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 9 Sep 11 at 20:58
 Forum signatures - Zero
Vauxhall dave hates them, so had them banned and disabled. The option is still there but he nobbled them.
 Forum signatures - VxFan
>> Vauxhall dave hates them

It was a joint decision by several people involved with the old forum. Some were getting silly, some were way too long, some were not obvious and bled into the post the author wrote, some people quoted other people's messages and they also quoted the sig, some were just plain right monotonous to read over and over again - remember that mods read each and every post whereas regular contributors pick and choose what they want to read.

I thought we explained all this before and the decision why not to have them anymore?
 Forum signatures - Londoner
Sound reasons to avoid signatures, VxFan.

The signatures that you see in some forums give the impression that the place is frequented by blokes with the minds of 12 year olds. Loving the car/brand is one thing, but these people are just boasting. Shades of Loadsamoney saying "Look at my Wad!".

Here are a couple of real examples showing what I mean
------------------------------------------------------------
E36 - 17'' BBS styleAlloys, Remus Exhaust & Decat, M3 Kit, Coilovers, Smoked Fogs & Indicators & Side Repeaters, Stubby Aerial, Delock Passenger Door, Bonnet Bra, Black Kidneys, Yellow Side Lights, LED Halo's, Black & White CF Centre Badges, ACS Pedals, Mtech Side Mouldings
-------------------------------------------------------
57, 535d LCI M Sport, Deep Sea Blue, Cream Leather, Media & Visibility Packs, Active Cruise + Stop & Go, DAB, Elec Memory Fr seats, Ext. Folding & dim mirrors, Seat heating front, USB, 172-19" alloys, M Spoiler, detachable tow-bar.
 Forum signatures - CGNorwich
Wots a bonnet bra and black kidneys. Will they sit well on my Octavia?
 Forum signatures - Pat
Idon't like them either and prefer it the way it is.

Pat
 Forum signatures - CGNorwich
think you are right

Tartan travel rug, box of tissues Sainsbury carrier bag, umbrella
 Forum signatures - MD
Maybe.

Hobgoblin with a Speckled Hen under each arm!
 Forum signatures - Zero

>> I thought we explained all this before and the decision why not to have them
>> anymore?

Thats not an explanation, thats a ban because you don't like them.
 Forum signatures - WillDeBeest
Signatures make some forums close to unreadable. The sort that lists everything the contributor owns means that his 'M3' shows up in search results whether relevant or not; the sort that contains an assertion that a man is just as old as the woman he feels saps the will to live once you've seen it for the third time.

Threads here work like conversations. I don't, and imagine most of us don't, end each contribution I make to a conversation with a list of my hi-fi components or underwear, or with a banal witticism or even a quotation from Martin Luther King. If people here must put this stuff up, let's give them space in the profile page (it may already be there) and we can look at it if we feel the need.
 Forum signatures - R.P.
Fair comment - UKGSer site is a nightmare of that sort of tat.
 Forum signatures - Harleyman
What Will said.

The sheer simplicity of this forum is one of its attractions as far as I'm concerned.

I do mean the visible content BTW not the contributors! ;-)
 Forum signatures - Mike Hannon
Almost every other forum I look at is spoiled by signatures - usually a remark that was mildly amusing or interesting when you saw it the first time, but after 500 views...
I don't understand why some people need to advertise the limits of their sense of humour, political views or anything else. Let alone the twerps who find it necessary to list their possessions.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Sat 10 Sep 11 at 11:27
 Forum signatures - Iffy
Another thumbs down from me for signatures.

Forum signatures - Bromptonaut
Theonly place I know where they vaguely work is Cyclechat. A mix of the forum's layout and I suspect some firm moderation of daft stuff.
 Forum signatures - henry k
>> Another thumbs down from me for signatures.
>>
Me too.
KISS.

Some private emails also suffer from trailers.
I have fortunately only had two reqular emailers who insist on adding long trailers.
One no longer emails me with his "Christs message of the day". I just do not need this junk.
 Forum signatures - Cliff Pope
Definite thumbs down.
 Forum signatures - Clk Sec
>> Definite thumbs down.
>>

Same here.
 Forum signatures - Ted

Same here Blatant poserism. I've read a couple of the ' non-possessions ' type which are quite good...but like jokes, you don't want to re-read it all again ten minutes later.

Scuffed alloys, scratched bumpers, cheap radio and sweet wrappers.

Living on Earth is expensive........but you do get free trips round the Sun !

Ted
I'd prefer to live without them. A bit like people who wear "amusing" ties or "Mr Men" socks they only really succeed in making normal people want to slap them.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but I've just been dragged round Cheshire Oaks. It always makes me feel a bit confrontational.
 Forum signatures - R.P.
I've got to go there in a month - when I say got to - It's a nip over the wall from the BMW Emporium in "Liverpool" (aka Warrington) - somewhere to wander around waiting for the bike..
 Forum signatures - Zero
Doing your vegetarian butcher act again Humph.
My wife was. I can't stand the place. Couldn't even raise the enthusiasm to buy a bag of doughnuts.

Anyone know why bald fat men think wearing 3/4 length trousers and vests or football jerseys is going to be a good idea on any day? I mean, I wonder if they look in the mirror on the way out of the house and think "that's the very look I was trying to achieve"?
 Forum signatures - MD
Thank God for a view as is mine. Don't they look utter prats and then there are the trainers too.....priceless, just priceless.
 Forum signatures - R.P.
A female colleague used to refer to this as the 3M syndrome - No Mates, No Mum and No Mirror...
 Forum signatures - Zero
I shall now really make Humphs day, went out today to buy a new pair of trainers! Got them in Footlocker in Wandsworth,

The old ones, by the way, were stolen by foxes.

Forum signatures - devonite
The old ones, by the way, were stolen by foxes.

the smell keeps badgers from taking over their home!
 Forum signatures - Zero
you pulling my leg?
 Forum signatures - Ted
A bit like people who wear "amusing" ties or
>> "Mr Men" socks they only really succeed in making normal people want to slap them.
>>

I've got some ' Tom & Jerry ' braces, Humpy.......come and slap me....please.
They're only used for me motorbike corduras, though.

Ted
 Forum signatures - VxFan
>> Thats not an explanation, thats a ban because you don't like them.

As previously said - it was a joint decision, not mine alone.

Found some of your old ones btw:-
TourVanManTM < Ex RF >
< Ulla>
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
 Forum signatures - Zero
yeah they really must have got up your nose if you remember them.,
 Forum signatures - VxFan
Nah, I forum searched them. They're not the ones I can remember.
 Forum signatures - Jetski
I seem to remember on the other site HJ objected to "Parp Parp" in a post about Milly Dowler missing.
Latest Forum Posts