Non-motoring > Hurricane Katia Computing Issues
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 138

Hurricane Katia - Dog
How are you placed to 'ride out' the storm R.P.
I notice that Anglesey and Cornwall are going to feel a bit breeze come the morn!!

We're quite sheltered from the Sou'westers here, unlike our places in Warleggan & Truro,

The folk we bought this cottage from are now living (still!) in a caravan while their latest acquisition is being restored.

:-(
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Hatches battened - no point worrying beyond basic precautions.
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
Are you actually exposed to the Sou'west Rob?
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
We're about 4 miles from the sea - bang in the centre of the island, the house is in a bit of a dip and the elevation is around 80m (according to the bike's electronics). A little concerned - but no point worrying too much. The land drains well here and the house has passed through three winters with no issues.....wait and see.
 Hurricane Katia - Stuartli
My daughter experiences quite a number of these hurricanes virtually at first hand as they pass quite close to where she lives..:-)

She can't believe this one has changed direction so much - apparently the last time it happened was in 1986 (Hurricane Charley), followed by the effect of the Great Storm in 1987.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 11 Sep 11 at 14:15
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
Expect a stiff breeze with gusts over 50MPH - nothing really compared to The Great Storm of 87 which killed many and downed an estimated 15 million trees, the strongest recorded gust then was c120 MPH!
>> Expect a stiff breeze with gusts over 50MPH - nothing really compared to The Great
Storm of 87 which killed many and downed an estimated 15 million trees, the strongest recorded gust then was c120 MPH!>>

I stayed at Chewton Glen, the famous New Forest hotel in Hampshire, just after the 1987 storm and witnessed at first hand the considerable damage that had been caused, with many trees being felled.

But the offspring has experienced very much stronger wind gusts than that in her time - must be a terrifying experience.

Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>But the offspring has experienced very much stronger wind gusts than that in her time - must be a terrifying experience<<

I hear all about the Hurricanes in the US from a relative who lives in Florida on the W coast, scary!

We had only just moved to Hastings from London in that week of 87 - what a welcome:)
>>I hear all about the Hurricanes in the US from a relative who lives in Florida on the W coast, scary!>>

Bit further south than that in this case...:-)

Do you mean the East coast of the US or the west coast of Florida? ...:-))
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>Do you mean the East coast of the US or the west coast of Florida?<<

He lives in Naples, Florida ... ex double glazing salesman and illegal alien ( in US), I don't know how he gets away with it really, he runs (another!) successful business and his children were born over there,
so presumably they are American.

I recall driving through Naples on a trip to Florida..:-)
 Hurricane Katia - kb
"Expect a stiff breeze with gusts over 50MPH - nothing really compared to The Great Storm of 87 which killed many and downed an estimated 15 million trees, the strongest recorded gust then was c120 MPH!"..............

.....Ah, The Great Storm!

See from 0.30secs - to 2.56 secs......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaNimTgLJjA
 Hurricane Katia - Manatee
>> Expect a stiff breeze with gusts over 50MPH - nothing really compared to The Great
>> Storm of 87 which killed many and downed an estimated 15 million trees, the strongest
>> recorded gust then was c120 MPH!

Michael Fish got a hard time over that, although I've heard it claimed that he was technically correct in that it wasn't strictly a hurricane.

I've never experienced a proper tropical hurricane, but I have seen the effects at first hand in South Carolina after Hugo in September 1989. Substantial tall trees, not knocked over but snapped off half way up.

Funny thing was, it took out most of the enormous billboards that decorated every main highway exit. Apparently they had a brief debate with themselves about whether to take the opportunity to get rid of the eyesores for good, but it didn't last very long and they were back in weeks.
 Hurricane Katia - Dave_
>> Are you actually exposed to the Sou'west Rob?

Some friends moved to the Inner Hebrides a little under a year ago - this will be their first real taste of weather I suspect. The next landmass due west from their little isle is Canada...
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>Some friends moved to the Inner Hebrides a little under a year ago - this will be their first real taste of weather<<

I wonder how long they will last there :)
 Hurricane Katia - Old Navy
>> >>Some friends moved to the Inner Hebrides a little under a year ago - this
>> will be their first real taste of weather<<
>>
>> I wonder how long they will last there :)
>>

Nothing wrong with a refreshing breeze. :-)
 Hurricane Katia - corax
>> Some friends moved to the Inner Hebrides a little under a year ago - this
>> will be their first real taste of weather I suspect. The next landmass due west
>> from their little isle is Canada...

I've been at the Point of Stoer which is North West Scotland, and the Atlantic is a different animal in that area compared to the rest of the country - it roars, even on a good day :)
 Hurricane Katia - teabelly
Made the grave error of glancing at the cover of the Daily Wail while shopping. Thought the entire nation was in danger of being blown away and battered by 80 mph winds. Checked weather and it will be slightly windy in a few places but nothing serious. Pffft. Irresponsible reporting as usual.
 Hurricane Katia - corax
>> Checked weather and it will be slightly windy in a few places but
>> nothing serious.

The Scottish highland summits will be interesting. The winds have been so strong up there, I've had to get on all fours and crawl. The problem is the gusts. They can knock you over like a matchstick, especially if you are balancing on dodgy ground. If you sit behind a boulder for protection, you can hear it hissing over the ground and sparce vegetation, but it doesn't really give you any sign as to how bad it is, because there's nothing up there to blow over. I was on my way down once with some other walkers on wet peat, we heard a great hiss behind us, and everyone was on their backs. Great fun.
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>The problem is the gusts. They can knock you over like a matchstick, especially if you are balancing on dodgy ground<<

I wonder if that is what takes so many - over the cliffs of Cornwall, 2 more this weekend, suspected spinal injuries.
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
I have that on the hills around here some years ago - down south they have no idea :-)
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
pah!

us southerners have our feet on the ground.
 Hurricane Katia - Runfer D'Hills
I've been on all fours in the Scottish Highlands on many occasions. It wasn't so much the wind but I had these special ski-poles which were hollow and had corks in the top of them. Held a surprising amount of Whisky Mac....
 Hurricane Katia - henry k
>> pah!
>>
>> us southerners have our feet on the ground.
>>
Oh yes! That breeze dried the lawn a treat so out with the mower and a quick march up and down to restore the stripes.
SWMO is pleased the washing dried so now bring it on !
I know at least one person (she's not very tall and quite stocky) who has been blown over this week on the sea front (NW Coast)...:-)
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
I can only assume BBD hasn't been blown for a while or he would be on here to report it.
 Hurricane Katia - Runfer D'Hills
Are you sailing close to the wind Stuart? I mean, "not very tall and stocky" could be interpreted by someone unkind as "short and fat"...

:-)
 Hurricane Katia - Roger.
"Short & fat"? You mean like a weeble?
(weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.)
 Hurricane Katia - Roger.
We shall be crossing from Dunkerque to Dover tomorrow and SWMBO is a rotten sailor!
 Hurricane Katia - devonite
i hope she blows the jet-stream back down south where it belongs!
 Hurricane Katia - corax
>> We shall be crossing from Dunkerque to Dover tomorrow and SWMBO is a rotten sailor!

Tell her to stay outside and keep an eye on the horizon. And don't eat too much!
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Billy the buzzard has just glided past in the twilight gloom - probably looking for some late night bites before the weather turns.....current barometer reading is 998 thingies.
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>current barometer reading is 998 thingies<<

Spot on ~ www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/valley_latest_weather.html
>> Are you sailing close to the wind Stuart? I mean, "not very tall and stocky" could be interpreted by someone unkind as "short and fat"...:-)>>

Good pun there..:-)

I meant, of course, that her ability to remain upright should be better than most...:-)
Mixed blessing perhaps. Sometimes it's better to to be a thin sapling and bend with the wind than to present a large sail area!
 Hurricane Katia - legacylad
Tomorrow myself & chums are driving up to Largs for 4 days sailing. We have chartered a 42footer until Friday.Hmm. Maybe tuesday will see us in landlubber mode, not putting to sea until wednesday.
I have my kwells & benedictine for such blows.
Now wishing we were sailing off the Croatian coast instead.
 Hurricane Katia - Dutchie
Checking the Barometer pressure is low.Here in yorkshire east coast no wind at the moment.Quiet before the storm.Sorry where is Largs?
30 miles SW of Glasgow,
On the coast I think.
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
uk.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=Largs&mkt=en-GB&FORM=BYFD
 Hurricane Katia - corax
>> 30 miles SW of Glasgow,
>> On the coast I think.

Oh my Gawd.
Barometer in our house at the moment pressure is 978m/bar I think that's what they call it.
Thanks the winds problaby will go in a SW direction.I be carefull sailing,Thanks dog for the info.
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
Here is a good pressure chart ~ www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/surface_pressure.html
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
My friend's bricking it - he's off to France next week on a motorbike, wife et al...hope it picks up for him.
Our barometer is about right at 978.Looking at the chart at sea 972 so ours still got a bit to drop.Close the hatches.>)
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
How's about the 958 jobbie :-(
shouldn't be too much of a problem. My chums are experienced sailors & the yacht is rated to EC Cat A standard for storm force 10 & 7 metre seas.
I assume they have the sense to stay in the marina until things subside to a force 6.
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Wednesday looks nice !
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
my large fish windsock has split!
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Is that like a cod-piece ?
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
no, its now a piece of cod.
>> my large fish windsock has split!
>>

Do you plaster the outside of your house with illuminated Christmas decorations as well?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 11 Sep 11 at 21:37
Wednesday looks nice

Next week maybe.>)
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
THIS is a Barometer ~ tinyurl.com/3r62q83 (ebay)

That looks good Dog.Nicely put together.A bit of history.I have a barometer over 100 years.Son got it in his flat Belonged to my great grandfather.He had his own cargo sailing barge.

The barometer has a solid oak casing and still working.
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>That looks good Dog.Nicely put together.A bit of history<<

I bought a nice Oak Barometer on ebay a few years back but it's not working, looks nice though :)

I've just bought a cheap booklet off ebay on how to repair the things, so I'll give it a go!
Why not Dog just be carefull.I also have a old antiek clock in the loft.Got to get it down one day no place to put it do, problaby will go to the daughter.I got some nice Delft blue plates when my mother passed away.That made me think years ago I could have gone in the furniture bussiness.Some dutch lads where buying good quality second hand furniture at auction in Rotterdam shipping it over here and selling for a good profit.Not for me I'm to daft give stuff away.>)
 Hurricane Katia - zookeeper
actually its a barograph.......theres a clue somewhere in the ad
When somebody uses the word actually I always feel I've done something wrong.>)
Anglesey looks quite blustery tomorrow

www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/llangefni

Go to the home page for a UK wind map - RP has the biggest arrows! (red = gusting).
 Hurricane Katia - zookeeper
www.xcweather.co.uk/

i use this site a lot on kite days
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
 Hurricane Katia - Pat
I'm sitting here in the caravan not far from Grafham Water and it's windy, in fact it's very windy.
We moved up here from Kent yesterday, and after a nice Sunday lunch at Stevenage arrived on an almost deserted site.

Rightly or wrongly we decided to put the awning up!
I think the decision was coloured by the couple of glasses of Shiraz I'd had with lunch.

XC Weather forecast the worst of the winds to be at 4am this morning and on cue it woke me at 4.30.
The car is parked across the end of the awning to break the worst of the wind but listening to it, I'm not sure that's going to be enough.

Now do I get Ian up to stand out there and hang on to it or let him sleep and keep my fingers crossed?

I'll have another fag and make another coffee, I think!

Pat
Good morning Pat.

Just ride it out.>:)
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
This cottage is 100% protected from Westerlies/Sou'westerlies, unlike our place at Warleggan, Bodelva, and Truro ... I'm a fresh air merchant and have the window open in the bedroom all year round and it was s'funny to hear the wind gushing overhead but the curtains not moving at all, at all.

Of course when we get the bitter East wind form Siberia in the winter, I won't be so smug!
Warleggan ,Bordelva never heard of those places Dog.

Have you just made them up? >:)

Raining here not to windy the Humber takes a lot of the weather before it hits the town.

SW winds.
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>Warleggan ,Bordelva never heard of those places Dog.<<

Cornish names Ducky - like Welsh (sort of) Warleggan is up on Bodmin Moor, and Bodelva is where the Eden project is built.

Just bin out to B&Q, not too bad at all down ere:)

Hurricane Katia - R.P.
I bought a cracking little book on Cornish place names when we were down there last summer - the link to Welsh is very strong there - but some appear to have been adapted recently e.g. Aberfal for Falmouth too Welsh to be true and then again according to Wiki the original name for the place was Peny-cwm-cuic, - which is almost more Welsh in a way.
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>Aberfal for Falmouth too Welsh to be true<<

The Celtic connection no doubt, does the Aber in Aberfal refer to the mouth of a river?

Nearly bought a house in Cornwall called Pennycomequick but my mate said not to touch it as the gable wall was making a bid for freedom, a builder bought it in the end, did it up nicely, and made a mint!

Ere tis, and that's the gable wall ~ g.co/maps/ebnq4
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Yes - read somewhere that Aberfal was a recent invention. Aber is the Welsh word for the "mouth of the river".
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
>> Yes - read somewhere that Aberfal was a recent invention. Aber is the Welsh word
>> for the "mouth of the river".

Aberfan is nowhere near the mouth of the river.

Damn welsh cant even speak their own language,
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
River names change inland for example where the merge with another river, so it's perfectly logical to have a "river mouth" inland....!

An example from Wiki -

"the Taff Bargoed and then down into Abercynon in the Cynon Valley where the Afon Cynon merge with the Taff"
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 10:30
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>Aberfal for Falmouth too Welsh to be true and then again according to Wiki the original name for the place was Peny-cwm-cuic<<

The Cornish Pen y cwm gwyk translates as head of a wooded valley.
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Pen y cwm would not be a stranger around here....."wood" in that context would be "coed" in Welsh I would imagine.
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Just pointed out to me that "gwyk" could be a compression of the Welsh word "coedwig" (forest).
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
>> I'm sitting here in the caravan not far from Grafham Water and it's windy, in
>> fact it's very windy.

>> Now do I get Ian up to stand out there and hang on to it
>> or let him sleep and keep my fingers crossed?
>>
>> I'll have another fag and make another coffee, I think!
>>
>> Pat

Dunno, but whatever you do, don't drive your car transporter through Kimbolton.
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Just figured the local wind dynamics - pretty quiet where we are, not so much in the actual village which is a bit of a climb from where we actually live. Quiet here last night...984 megathingies this morning.
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
998 millipedes here in damp but calm leafy surrey
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
I reckon a Force 6 here.
We are on a falling 980 milliwotsits here, beginning to get a bit of a breeze. No restrictions on the Forth Road Bridge yet, you know it is seriously windy when it is shut to all traffic.
 Hurricane Katia - Skoda
It's average Sept temperature and dry here. Slight gusts of wind but absolutely nothing to write home about yet.

Katia must have stopped for a fag break on the way over. Probably contemplating whether she needs a clip on bike rack to get the job done efficiently or not.
 Hurricane Katia - RattleandSmoke
My mate and his girlfriend are in a caravan in Anglesey at the moment, they have been told to stay in the caravan or they will get blown away. Pier is shut on Llandudno, apparently somebody nearly bot blown over leaving the Grand Hotel.

It is windy here, don't think my tent would survive in this, the trees are blowing all over the place, but it is not what I would call gale force winds yet.
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
hey have been told to stay in the caravan or they will get blown away.

Ha Ha that's quite funny ! Nowhere near that bad here - may be worse on the coast. I have camped in weather like this, not that much of worry the only problem being pitching and de-camping as it were..
To be fair they where told this by a scouser in a pub last night, so they went to the late shop in the village and stocked up so they didn't have to leave the caravan.

It does get very windy on that site though, my mate had a tend blown over even in modest wind. As I type now it seems to have gone very calm.
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Is it the Golden Sunset site ?
Indeed it is :) Amazing views from the cliff tops, but it can get windy. Can get a bit rowdy at weekends as well.
 Hurricane Katia - Mike Hannon
IIRC we had a recorded constant wind speed of 112mph - a UK record at the time - when we lived on the west side of Portland Bill, first house in from the western approaches. I think it was January 1999 or 2000. I don't remember any big media scare stories at the time. And yes, once or twice I've almost had to move on my hands and knees against the gusts down there. If you live somewhere like that you accept it - or move as we did.
I always thought 'aber' in Welsh meant bridge - hence Abergavenny or Aberdare, for example. Google translate says not, but that means nothing of course.
When I worked in Cardiff I used to laugh about the fact that every time the Western Mail used something in Welsh it was followed by a fortnight of argument on the letters page over what was actually meant. I still swear they make some of it up as they go along.
The second stage of the Tour of Britain has been cancelled because of high winds in the north-west of England.
Organisers said the poor weather meant they were left with little choice but to axe Monday's Kendal to Blackpool leg for rider safety.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/14879182.stm
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
The Cornish for bridge is pons ... ditto for breasts is diwvronn (doesn't quite have the same ring to it though, does it)
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Pont in Welsh -

Mike,

All languages are made up and continue to be so as they evolve - I think the French have a particular panache for it.
>> And yes, once or twice I've
>> almost had to move on my hands and knees against the gusts down there. If
>> you live somewhere like that you accept it - or move as we did.
>>

Were you there for the 1979 storm and floods?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 13:29
 Hurricane Katia - Cliff Pope
Metcheck has gone mad. Wind speed 10 mph today, next week gusting to 400 mph.
 Hurricane Katia - Pat
Metcheck is hopeless, you need to look at XC Weather.

Pat
No I wasn't ON, but I've seen many, many photos. Were you around there in your RN days? A couple of weeks ago I met a man off the internet (no need to worry, just a guy who frequents the SW France old cars site) and discovered his wife was once a WRN who lived a few doors along from us.

Pons - Cornish for bridge; pont - French for bridge. Much crossover of course between north-west Brittany and Cornwall; part of Brittany is even known as La Cornouaille.
>> No I wasn't ON, but I've seen many, many photos. Were you around there in
>> your RN days?

I wasn't at Portland at the time of that storm but saw the aftermath.
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Bit of a non-event in our local area - a pall of sea spray has hung in the air to our south - some pictures on the evening news suggest otherwise elsewhere on the island as do conversations with real and virtual friends in other communities. Wind moderated this afternoon. No damage or issues.
Is very windy here, but that is all just windy, certainly nothing like a storm.
 Hurricane Katia - Cliff Pope
>>you need to look at XC Weather.

>>

Yes, that confirms my observations outside. Windspeed 15 mph, now dying away.

Where's this hurricane then? It's been just a normal breezy day here in north Pembrokeshire.
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>Where's this hurricane then?<<

Here ~ www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14883670

ditto ~ www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036158/Hurricane-Katia-UK-coasts-battering-worst-storm-1996-arrives.html
Last edited by: Dog on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 19:17
Lost some roof felt of the shed.Another job to do.Gust where quite strong here .
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
S'funny some of the comments left on the news? papers ... ere's one from Iffys paper ~

"Surprised we are hearing so much about this weather since it isn't really affecting the sarf eest that much! Mind you they'll make up for it when the next 1/2 centimeter "blankets" them- they'll be running commentaries for weeks, about how the chelsea tractors were sliding everywhere".

Hurricane Katia - Zero
oh yawn.
Good to see that you agree with Dog, Z. As do most of us that live north of the M4. :)
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
There is no life north of the M4, merely a grey existence.
 Hurricane Katia - Iffy
It's been a nervous day for wig wearers up here.
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
That made laugh iffy.
 Hurricane Katia - Clk Sec
>>There is no life north of the M4, merely a grey existence.

You must pop up to BSE sometime.
Really picked up here now. I love the sound of the wind via my double glazed window!
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
See? Folks up there can only afford one window.
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
>> >>There is no life north of the M4, merely a grey existence.
>>
>> You must pop up to BSE sometime.

I did...

It was shut.
 Hurricane Katia - sooty123
Where is BSE and what is it?
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as mad-cow disease, is a fatal neurodegenerative disease in cattle that causes a spongy degeneration in the brain and spinal cord. BSE has a long incubation period, about 30 months to 8 years, usually affecting adult cattle at a peak age onset of four to five years, all breeds being equally susceptible.
It is feared it could be passed to man.

BSE is also Bury St Edmunds.

The two are closely linked.

The wind is as still as certain people from the South East will be when I get old of them for constant remarks about the North here now! :p.

The Americans are very good at sending weak exports to the UK!
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
This is the kind of weather we get down here, I had to drive through this today, roads turned to rivers!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAN_5o90YtI

(best watched in HD)

Ok it was a burst water main.
 Hurricane Katia - rtj70
So the weak winds from the remnants of this tropical storm didn't overturn lorries today then. Nor did it close some roads, e.g. the Woodhead Pass. Nor did it remove a garage roof which struck an 11 year old boy in Queenbury.

I too wish that more damage was done by stronger winds :-)

It's been windy enough up north. Maybe not as bad as it could have been and we are lucky it wasn't.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 22:26
True, but I was looking forward to building a new garden shed next weekend, but its still standing, after 22 years.
 Hurricane Katia - rtj70
Luckily Scotland are having it easy too... not as it seems!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14872365
Looks pretty bad over there, no doubt if it was the South East it would be headline news. A driver has been killed too :(

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14883670

Looks like the North West and North Wales area has generally escaped.
 Hurricane Katia - R.P.
Quiet as the proverbial here tonight....big full moon tonight....made the molehills look very surreal
 Hurricane Katia - Zero
>> Looks pretty bad over there, no doubt if it was the South East it would
>> be headline news. A driver has been killed too :(

Because when we have wind, its real wind not that pathetic little bluster you have. Its not even 100 mph.

As for all this "south east headline news" rubbish, you lot really do have an inferiority complex dont you.
I was mocking it before, but that is before I realised the extent it has been up north (the real North) again like you say down south it is just a gentle wind.
 Hurricane Katia - Clk Sec
>> BSE is also Bury St Edmunds.

You just might just be in for tongue-lashing if Haywain's around. I think he lives there.
>> It's been a nervous day for wig wearers up here.
>>
And a lucky escape for one who thinks the conditions are just right .

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-14887788
 Hurricane Katia - Bromptonaut
Aware of the wind overnight in Northants in a way I'd not normally expect until into October and a tad blustery in London.

But nothing to worry about.
 Hurricane Katia - Ted

Just a bit blustery here in Arcadia...nothing special. No rain and quite nice and warm in the Sun.
 Hurricane Katia - Roger.
It was a bit choppy in the Channel, more so on the English side than the French.
The problem was the high winds in Dover which made berthing the slab sided ferries difficult. Tugs were assisting.
We rolled up at Dunkirk at about 14:20 (Continental time)to get in line for the 16:00 sailing, to find the 14:00 sailing was only just loading, so we were able to board.
Didn't sail until 15:30 ish, as the skipper reckoned it was better to wait in port than wait outside Dover, where there was a queue of vessels waiting to get in.
The crossing itself was fine, with only one sea, green over the bows.
There were STILL problems at Dover tho' and we were stacked while other ships entered and to cap it all there were mechanical problems at the DFDS berth, so we didn't land until a fair bit later, the trip taking around 3.5 hours.
We were late home and well knackered by 23:00, (UK time) having left Gütersloh at 08:30.
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 13 Sep 11 at 08:42
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
""Forecasters recorded the strongest winds of 82mph at Capel Curig in North Wales".

Well, it would be wooden tit, up in the heart of Snowdonia.
That is the main reason why I decided against camping there, that and the fact it always rains on the mountains.

Hurricane Katia - Dog
The wettest place in Britain I see, beautiful area though, I'd like to get a camper van and spend 3 months up there!
 Hurricane Katia - Boxsterboy
Katia knocked our weekends plan on the head. We were supposed to be sailing a 38' yacht from Gosport to Cherbourg on Saturday and back again on Monday. The forecasts meant it would not be a wise move so spent the weekend in the Solent, which was still pretty hairy at times.

Considering how sunny it was on Sunday, I've never seen the Solent with so few boats out.
 Hurricane Katia - devonite
Well it wasn`t too bad here! I spent 15 happy minutes watching our plastic mop-bucket chasing an empty crisp packet round in circles in our yard. Then a stripey beach towel joined in for a few minutes (no idea where this came from!) before making a bid for freedom by trying to paraglide on a gust o9ver our garden gate. This attempt failed, and left towel splattered firmly into the slats on the gate, where it remained quite happily till the "Hostess" got home.
Within an hour it had been rescued, washed, dried, ironed, folded, and off she went door to door to re-unite it with its owner!
I asked her on her towel-less return "why bother? - should have just given them it back as it was"
"No-chance" was the reply, "and have them talk about me in the supermarket next week"
"with it being nice and clean, no-one will mention a word"

Funny things Women!
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 13 Sep 11 at 13:48
 Hurricane Katia - Dog
>>"with it being nice and clean, no-one will mention a word"<<

Dunno, they might have a natter about WHY she had to wash it, what had she done to it to require washing, has she done in the old codger she lives with, and used it to mop up the 'body fluids' ...

Stay tuned for further episodes.
That was a decent drive Roger.I have done it myself drove from N Holland Nieuweschans to Duinkerken.about 7 hrs.From Dover driving to home another 5 hrs to go.I just cancelled my tickett from Dover Dunkirk return only payd 35 pound.Non refuntable.Travelling now on the Nort Sea ferry to R/Dam 12 hr crossing.
 Hurricane Katia - Roger.
Yep, Dutchie - 538.9 miles door to door.
Interestingly our sat-nav learned of a traffic hold-up on the main road into Antwerp and re-routed us via a loop through some nice residential areas to rejoin the A17 quite a way past the city. It added a few miles to the trip and may have been quicker. I say "may" as we were stuck behind a slow moving concrete pump wagon for ages!
Who knows?
That is a decent drive Roger Antwerp is a nice city I remember driving through Antwerp can be busy.I was going to do the long drive but daughter insisted she wanted to join me she is in charge.Now it's ten minutes to the ferrry.Crossing overnight and from Europoort to sister half a hr.From Rotterdam to Assen about three hrs depending on traffic.

Lorrys Roger they are a pain.Sorry Pat.>:)
 Hurricane Katia - Pat
>>concrete pump wagon <<

That's not a proper lorry Dutchie it's a dinky toy:)

Pat
Talking about Lorrys Pat,the big ones in the States and they motor.

What a job would have been for me.Roads her to small for my liking.To manoeuvre a big wagon here in Europe in towns dear me takes some doing.
 Hurricane Katia - Pat
They are big Dutchie but they are way behind us in design and technology still.
Most are crash boxes, basic controls, no night heaters so they have to leave the engine running all night to keep warm.

Yes the roads are bigger and distances longer but there is no fun (for me) in driving an artic up to Aberdeen for 10 hours, I prefer a multi drop load to farms around Cornwalls back lanes. It's a challenge and a constant test of your own ability.

Funny though, I can't park the Mondeo for love nor money, and truth be told, I don't really want to either!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts