Non-motoring > Cutting a mortise Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 7

Cutting a mortise - Skoda
What's the easiest way to cut a mortise joint, if you don't have a mortiser (or space for one)? I don't have a router and i'm not sure a router will work very well anyway for anything other than shallow mortises, but i might be wrong?

Just now if i need to joint wood, i do lap joints (or variations) on the table saw - just drop the blade height and feed the wood through side-on, multiple times to cut the tenons.

I need to make a step-stool and mortise & tenon joints would make the design better, probably stronger too.
 Cutting a mortise - Iffy
There are augur drill bits which are said to cut sideways. or the more traditional way is to drill a line of overlapping holes, and straighten the sides with a chisel.

Cutting a mortise - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3jByNHeGxs
Bah, I eagerly waited all day to see that video. Power tools only. That guy was 10x faster than me doing it manually but I'd still beat him by a large margin using power tools.

Forstner drill bit seems to be the way to go I think. The 'mericans can get a mortise-mate but we dont seem to get them here.
 Cutting a mortise - Zero
Skoda, if you do a lot of this type of home woodwork I am surprised you haven't got a router yet,.

www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week37Sunday11.htm
 Cutting a mortise - Iffy
I haven't got the patience to watch Zero's video link all the way through, so can't contemplate doing a job that way.

Glue it and screw it.

Well I've gone on the logic that routers are like toastie makers. Plus I can borrow easily enough.

People go nuts when they get a router. My grandpa puts decorative edges on everything, things look worse for it IMO.
 Cutting a mortise - RattleandSmoke
I did it by drilling four holes at each corder, then some random holes in the middle and then using a chisel to cut out the rectangle shape.

Was easy enough but a bit time consuming.

I was fitting a 5 lever mortise lock btw.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 17:20
Latest Forum Posts