Non-motoring > Red October on NOW! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 48

Red October on NOW! - Old Navy
Hunt for Red October on Film 4 channel now.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 21:04
 Red October on NOW! - R.P.
Cracking film that.
 Red October on NOW! - Zero
The book is very good, Clancy wrote a couple of good books before he went all right wing money grabbing and turning out trash.

He did write, however, a very good non fiction book on submarines.

Submarine: A Guided Tour Inside a Nuclear Warship (1993, ISBN 0425138739) is a non-fiction book written by Tom Clancy and defense systems analyst John D. Gresham. It explores the inner workings of two submarines, the USS Miami and HMS Triumph.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 21:13
IIRC he has a certain respect for both RN surface and submarine ships and their crews.
 Red October on NOW! - Dutchie
Never saw the full film Red October.I have a look.
 Red October on NOW! - Number_Cruncher
Although the books I recommend usually have more equations than text [Ladybird book of the Motor Car excepted!], Submarine Design by Ulrich Gabler not equation heavy, and is a very interesting read.

In particular, there are some very interesting pictures of tests and experiments showing the various kinds of instability which can lead to the crushing of the pressure hull at depth.
Its gone very quiet, everyone watching the movie?
 Red October on NOW! - rtj70
I read a lot of Tom Clancy - and like Wilbur Smith his standards went downhill. Good film the Hunt for Red October - I particularly like Sean Connory's Russian accent :-)

And some of the other Clancy film adaptations are okay too. But not the one with Ben Affleck though - he's crap!
 Red October on NOW! - Iffy
...and like Wilbur Smith...

He's very keen on big game hunting and currently lives, I believe, in South Africa, although he was born in Rhodesia.

I was told this by former motor magnate Sir Tom Cowie, who is mates with Smith and regularly goes hunting with him.

If you read his books you'd know he likes big game hunting. And I have read most of his books. But the recent ones are nowhere as good as his early ones.
>> I read a lot of Tom Clancy - and like Wilbur Smith his standards went
>> downhill.

His best, by a long way, was Red Storm Rising,

The two best sub films are

The Enemy Below
and
Crimson Tide
>> His best, by a long way, was Red Storm Rising

I did think that was a good book too.
 Red October on NOW! - Kevin
>The two best sub films are

No way!

The best sub film of all time is - Down Periscope.
 Red October on NOW! - CGNorwich
I would rate Das Boot as the best ever submarine film by a long way
The film was Ok, but the series was much better, it was able to build tension that the film never could.
+++++1 on Das Boot - a thought provoking film in many ways. I recently upgraded my much played VHS version to a DVD (Long edition) - roll on winter...!

Cracking sound-track.
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 22:30
Me too, Das Boot.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 22:31
Good film Das Boot normal people in a abnormal situation.

Also the cruel sea top actors.

Red October on NOW! - Bigtee
Are we not going to mention U571?

Ok one diesel engine not working under water shot both screw turning, it was American still not a bad film.
 Red October on NOW! - zookeeper
Das Boot... crackin film i nearly popped a rivit watchin it
>> Are we not going to mention U571?
>>
>> Ok one diesel engine not working under water shot both screw turning, it was American
>> still not a bad film.
>>

The screws either are, or can be driven by electric motors. Some are pure diesel electric.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 15 Sep 11 at 08:53
U571 was a well made film - and led to one of the very few things I agreed with Tony Blair about.
 Red October on NOW! - captain chaos
Voyage to the bottom of the sea takes some beating...
The submarine film that I have the earliest memory of was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Made a huge impression on me at the time (I was 6) . Watched it again recently and the special effects were truly impressive for its time.
>> Are we not going to mention U571?

No we are not.

One of our subs should have launched a barrage of Nukes at Hollywood for such an insult.
"One of our subs should have launched a barrage of Nukes at Hollywood for such an insult."

It a film, a piece of entertainment hokum not a documentary for gods sake . How many historical films are accurate? As film I though it was quite entertaining and well made
Americans think its real history. There is historical license, and lies. This was lies.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 15 Sep 11 at 15:08
Was Saving Private Ryan an accurate portrayal of history ? Was Gladiator accurate? The answer of course is no. Were they good films? The answer is yes. History is invariably distorted in fictional writing and films to make a better story or to appeal to the target audience. Don't think it really matters. If the audience wish to think that Gladiator is a historically accurate portrayal of ancient Roman history well so be it. Same goes for U571
 Red October on NOW! - Runfer D'Hills
Someone clever ( can't think who now ) once said "history is written by victors" or something like that. Right enough anyway.
Well I am pleased to inform you the British public did not think it a good film. It bombed,
Actually Saving Private Ryan was a very good montage of reasonably accurate history of the events after overlord, just that the central plot was not.

Gladiator was not that far removed from the rough edges of Roman History either.

I don't think either of them however took an actual real event, and changed the nationality of those involved, in effect stealing someone else's bravery and glory. Worse doing it in living memory.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 15 Sep 11 at 15:45
Saving Private Ryan had a more than a grain of truth in it, it was based on a true account. Pearl Harbor (the movie blockbuster) although factual to a degree moved stuff around to suit the script - including an American single handedly winning the Battle of Britain....nonsense.

The problem is Norwich, that plenty of people who are seeing these films think its real.

I find some off the American so called historic films are a lot of hype.

The Brits tend to be more accurate in their vieuw of history.It does matter to be lied to.
 Red October on NOW! - Clk Sec
I thought Gladiator was a huge disappointment. And I had looked forward to seeing it for ages.
 Red October on NOW! - Bigtee
Zero, Go watch the Railway Children it's full of steamers that will be a real film for you.
I can not abide that film, the small trains are pathetic, and every time Jenny Agutter shouts "daddy my daddy" I want to slap her.
>> every time Jenny Agutter shouts "daddy my daddy" I want to slap her.

Keep your fantasies to yourself old boy. Family forum etc...

:-)
And its a nasty little Northern railway.,

Anyway, Sally Thomset is the fantasy piece in that film.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 15 Sep 11 at 17:24
Buck teeth though.
I know, but that smock!!!
 Red October on NOW! - Londoner
Buck teeth . . . but doe eyes.
She could cook my breakfast any day.
3.bp.blogspot.com/-Vej8rHUrR34/TZhePRhfsjI/AAAAAAAACfo/qAQRq6_lPFA/s1600/Sally%2BThomsett.jpg
 Red October on NOW! - Pat
I really want to make a lorry driver type remark.......I really do.

I'm sitting on my fingers now...

PU would only delete it...

Pat

well you can try it, If you'r quick a few of us will see it before Dai the Island whips it away.
I'm asleep at the moment as it happens.
 Red October on NOW! - Fullchat
"She could cook my breakfast any day."

They are good :-)
"The problem is Norwich, that plenty of people who are seeing these films think its real."

A lot of people think the Archers are real too but it doesn't worry me.

The real test of a drama be it a film, book or play is whether it stands up in its own right as piece of art or entertainment. Unless it sets out to be a documentary not too fussed about historical inaccuracies. Shakespeare played fast and loose with history but he still wrote great plays.

U571 wasn't a great film by any means but certainly a watchable second division war film
 Red October on NOW! - corax
>> Me too, Das Boot.

I loved this engine room scene 1.42 into the video, with the surly chief engineer, but can you explain what the other guy is doing when he opens valves and a jet of blue flame shoots out. Very impressive, but what is the purpose?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATEjQhdfA8U
I have been crew on several diesel submarines, one with engines similar to those in the film. I have never seen the "blue flame" procedure in any of them.

My diesel car does not have that feature either. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 15 Sep 11 at 22:22
Can I commend the book version to you first published in 1974 it pre-dates the film so it wasn't reverse engineered...

Another book is rather dramatically called The Secret Diary of a U Boat - authored by a Wolfgang Hirschfield is a another remarkable factual account of the war with the sea.
Latest Forum Posts