Non-motoring > Mystery bins Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 17

Mystery bins - Rudedog
Returned home on Monday evening to find a black rubbish and recycling bin sitting on my drive, neither are mine but were probably blown there after the collection earlier in the day. Now I put the bins out at the end of the drive expecting the owners to take them back, but I still have them, if no one collects them how do I get rid of them?
 Mystery bins - Zero
ebay.
 Mystery bins - Ted

Stick them in the bin.

Ted
 Mystery bins - rtj70
Someone must (soon) realise they are missing. Our green food/garden waste bin went missing once when it was returned to the wrong house.... at the end of the day I could see which it was because it was left out along the way.

Council would get the bins probably but someone needs them. And they cost to replace. I guess that's why Z said ebay.
 Mystery bins - VxFan
Ours came with labels on the back saying something like "on loan to ****" Is there no identification on them at all?

We've since stuck house numbers on the front of ours from a pack we bought down the 99p stores.
 Mystery bins - Cliff Pope
Rattle is probably worried sick about his missing bins.
 Mystery bins - bhoywonder
Once they call the council to say there bins have gone and can I get new ones. They will be told yes no problem and it will cost £x then they will soon come looking for them.
 Mystery bins - devonite
As soon as they find out it costs £x to replace them, they wont bother, their bags will end up in other folks bins, chucked out in back streets or on street corners, or even fly-tipped in the local beauty -spot.
 Mystery bins - Skoda
There's an extra recycling bin in our street, I took it for ~8 months, was handy. Then i had no space for it but noone else claimed it - a neighbour even helpfully stuck it in my driveway. I shunted it halfway along the street now i see a family further along using it.

Wish it was a spare black bin...
 Mystery bins - Zero
I have a spare green wheely bin, the council delivered one too many after I complained about not getting one. We are only allowed one tho, the neighbours don't have one.

So I park my full spare outside their house on collection day.
 Mystery bins - Runfer D'Hills
Does that count as daring in Surrey?

:-)
 Mystery bins - mikeyb
Call the council and tell them to collect it
 Mystery bins - bathtub tom
When my neighbour moved in, he didn't have a recycling bin so he took his cousin's up the road who was moving out (he knew something, that cousin!).

The council delivered a recycling bin to my neighbour, who promptly parked it on my drive (I watched all this from my window). I politely pointed out it was delivered to him. He replied he didn't want it now as he'd already got one. Tough, was my response.

He now has one extra bin to juggle.
 Mystery bins - Zero
>> Does that count as daring in Surrey?
>>
>> :-)

This is sinful Surrey Humph, the rich round here invented most of the known perversions. Max Moseley is seen as boringly normal.
 Mystery bins - Rudedog
Unfortunately our council gives out recycling bins like free sweets so no charge for ordering a new one. They are on full display but no one has claimed them yet, they aren't in good nick so I don't really want to keep them.
 Mystery bins - Ted

I was in the front garden when they delivered our green bins, one for me and one for MiL next door. I put them behind the gates and went in for a cuppa.

5 minutes later I came out and there were two more in the garden.

Counting the blacks, browns and blues.........that made 12 bins between us !

A couple of weeks ago they followed the bin wagon round with a box van and snatched back people's second black bins. They didn't get mine, it was down by the garage, empty.

Ted
 Mystery bins - rtj70
Around our way you can request a second black bin if you can justify it. I find we don't need it with the other bins. Surprising what does get recycled now.

What is a pain is when you go on holiday. The black bin can be missed of course. But the glass/jar/tin brown bin is only ever collected once a month. Fine normally. But our holidays always seem to coincide with such a collection. And if I'm going to have to be away for work... it probably coincides too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 15 Sep 11 at 23:34
 Mystery bins - bathtub tom
>>one for MiL next door.

Hair shirts anyone? ;>)

Latest Forum Posts