Non-motoring > Chinese anyone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 49

Chinese anyone? - CGNorwich
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14920675
 Chinese anyone? - Dutchie
A remember a work colleague telling me his sister was employed by a big chinese restaurant.

The left overs from customers plate went back in the pan for re use.

I stick to egg on toast.>;)
 Chinese anyone? - WillDeBeest
So bad practice by one group of people 6,000 miles away means that food cooked in this country, under our code of food safety laws, by people who may belong same ethnic group is unsafe? Would you apply the same reasoning if a burger bar in Chicago were found to be using unfit meat? My dad told me he gave up beer after doing a student bar job in the 1950s, when it was standard practice to pour dregs and leftovers back for re-use. I'm sure it was true then; I don't believe it is today and it hasn't put me off beer.

Bad practice knows no ethnic, culinary or national boundaries, but we're fortunate to live in a country where it's firmly policed. Dutch food, on the other hand, is not fit for human beings.
};---)

"Dutch food, on the other hand, is not fit for human beings. "

Any nominations for worst cuisine in Europe (not counting ours). My vote is for Portugal
 Chinese anyone? - Fullchat
I've never been under any illusions that some left overs are 'recycled' however upmarket the establishment.
 Chinese anyone? - Zero
Alas Tis true, generally Dutch resturant food is dire, closely followed by German.
As usual Zero your comments are thought provoking.
Still think Portugese is a contender. Always seem to to be a choice of tough steaks, salt cod or a sort of stew with pigs trotters in it . In Madeira they seem to think grilled fish with a banana on top is a good idea
 Chinese anyone? - bathtub tom
Madeira's got so many bananas they tend to stick one on everything. ;>)

It's the best food I've ever experienced. The boast is if it can be grown, they grow it. I've had sprouts served with fish there. It's all deliciously fresh.
" I've had sprouts served with fish there.''

I rest my case
 Chinese anyone? - bathtub tom
If you're not prepared to adventurous, I'm sure you could find a McDonalds/Burger King/KFC in Funchal. ;>)
Sprouts and fish isn't adventurous its foolhardy. Actually there are some very good restaurants in Funchal, but they mostly don't serve Portugese/Madieran cuisine.

Most of the Madieran restaurants tend to have the same unadventurous boring menu featuring espetada (tough grilled steak on a skewer). Espada ( Grilled scabbard fish with a banana) and sopa de tomate e cebola (tomato soup with a poached egg floating in it).
 Chinese anyone? - MD
>> Sprouts and fish isn't adventurous its foolhardy. Actually there are some very good restaurants in
>> Funchal, but they mostly don't serve Portugese/Madieran cuisine.
>>
>> Most of the Madieran restaurants tend to have the same unadventurous boring menu featuring espetada
>> (tough grilled steak on a skewer). Espada ( Grilled scabbard fish with a banana) and
>> sopa de tomate e cebola (tomato soup with a poached egg floating in it).
>>
Yes we've had the lot. Been there 14 times so I guess me-and-er like it. I do know what you mean about Portuguese food though.
Madeira is a beautiful island with great people. Been there half a dozen times mainly in the winter months to see a bit of sun. I forgive then their cooking for being so hospitable!

Discovered La Gomera in the Canaries last winter. Very different but recommended.

Bad practice knows no ethnic, culinary or national boundaries, but we're fortunate to live in a country where it's firmly policed. Dutch food, on the other hand, is not fit for human beings.
};---)

Don't get carried away Mr Wild Beest the Dutch have a policed food policy all leftovers are fed to the tourist.
 Chinese anyone? - Pat
Nice one Dutchie:) :)

Pat
 Chinese anyone? - Old Navy
>>....Dutch have a policed food policy all
>> leftovers are fed to the tourist.
>>

What do you think Haggis contains? :)

Not many locals eat it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 16 Sep 11 at 18:00
I've tried haggis once by its filling good wholesome food.>:)
All tongue in cheek comments on my behalf tasted some excellent Chinese food through the years.

Also Indonesian Rijsttafel Nasi Goreng Loempia meat Croquets.

Tongue in cheek would be quite tasty.
Tongue in cheek would be quite tasty.

>:)
 Chinese anyone? - WillDeBeest
Touché, Dutchie!

In the Netherlands, as in the UK, it's best to go ethnic if you want an affordable meal that tastes of something. Indonesian can be very good.
I have to confess my mother was a excellent cook.She was employed by a rich family before the war in Rotterdam.Good home made soup.All the different vegetables.I can't complain regarding the food i got as a child.

I try anything once and I am not fussy.
 Chinese anyone? - Pat
www.indochef.com/index.shtml

Henk, who owns and created this site, was a friend of mine.

He is an excellent cook and makes Satay sauce to die for!

He is Dutch, Dutchie, and writes English like you!

He learned his liking for cooking in the Dutch Navy too.

Pat
Satay sauce I;ve had it Pat.At school I had a few Indonesian mates and often got invited to their homes for a nosh.

I'm looking forward when going across to have a few meals with the daughter in one of their restaurants.

My brother in law is called Henk funny world.My writing is rubbish cannot do the posh words actually.>:)
 Chinese anyone? - Pat
Your writing is just fine Dutchie....even if it makes me laugh sometimes:)

Pat
Thanks Pat I'm often a confused individial so my missus tells me.Why not who is perfect? not me .>:)
 Chinese anyone? - R.P.
Your English is better than my Dutch !
When abroad and in areas frequented by tourists I always try to eat where the locals eat.

Snap Old Navy and simple made food tastes usually the best.
I have had good wholesome food in cafes used by the guys from nearby building sites, etc. And not at tourist prices either.
 Chinese anyone? - BobbyG
>>When abroad and in areas frequented by tourists I always try to eat where the locals eat.

I have visited a smallish village in Bulgaria for a few years since the days that it was just that. The food was delicious, Bulgarians cook lots with chicken and pork and veg. Salads to die for and I am normally a salad dodger.

But over the last few years, the tourists have started coming, the village has expanded into a touristy area and the food is becoming more and more westernised. Seeing more and more pizzas, burgers etc etc.

The ironic thing is, and its possibly a British thing, you speak to some tourists and they say the food is not up to much, yes its the western food they are buying. They do not realise that we are asking Bulgarians to cook things that aren't their norm, and then criticise them when they don't do it well.

When abroad, sample the foreign culture and food. Thats why I could never stay in Sunny Beach in Bulgaria, Blackpool meets Tenerife, full of Union Jack Cafes, Union Jack Shorts and John Smith's.

Why do folk pay a fortune to travel hundreds of miles and then want a full cooked English breakfast with Heinz Tomato Ketchup???

There, feel better now!
>> Why do folk pay a fortune to travel hundreds of miles and then want a
>> full cooked English breakfast with Heinz Tomato Ketchup???
>>

Beats me, I have been to foreign resorts where some Brits never leave their hotel during their holiday. I can only assume they are only buying sunshine, but missing out on so much.
 Chinese anyone? - rtj70
>> Brits never leave their hotel during their holiday. I can only assume they are only buying sunshine

And some fly considerable distance for this too. They might as well go to Benidorm. :-)
But there are some countries that have truly great cuisines. Personally I would rate Italy France and Turkey as my personal favourites and certainly a good case could be made for China and Thailand.
France eating out in Chartres.Ordered salad got it covered in olive oil, chips so so and twenty Euros for two.Have to think about their cousine.The bread is excellent when freshly baked.

Also the salad gave me the runs my stumach aint what it used to be.>;)

Debenhams here in our neck of the woods nice fresh salad tasty chips glass of fruit yoghurt and a Late coffee for halve the price about a tenner.

I also like a nice cup of tea and toasted tea cake.That reminds me have to take a few packets of Ringtons tea to my sister she loves Ringtons can't get the Ringtons over there.
 Chinese anyone? - Zero
When abroad, one should eat the food of the country, preferably the region. Italian, Spanish, Morocan, Greek, Indonesian, Malay, all superb but very limited in range and scope.

France however, is breathtaking in its range of food, both national and regional.

America is a gastronomic desert. The best thing to come out of there is Mexican!

By experience I would rate my top three as

1/ France
2/ Italy
3/ Belgium

with Australia a 4th.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 09:51
 Chinese anyone? - R.P.
France find it difficult to do sort of fast restaurant food - I was in Albert (medium sized town) last summer looking for an evening meal - Plat du jour seems to be a rare beast - ended up in a cafe eating a steaklette and dreadful fries. Same experience in my next stop - at least the Leffe beer took the edge off on the second night.

Agree with Zero on Belgium. You can be lucky in the rural US - especially on the east coast...especially if you like cheap lobster..
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 09:56
The Belgians are famous for their Patat and Mayonese.I've had pleny the same as in Holland.

Germans like solid food their worst with veg and potatoes excellent.Also godd quality Beer.

Scandinavians are similair to the Brits they don;t eat a lot of veg.

What's so special about Frence food I'm not sure.tryed frog legs once so so.

When in Holland try Erwtensoup once in winter you enjoy it.

Potatoes roastbeef and Yorkshire pudding.Nout wrong with it lad.
 Chinese anyone? - Zero
>> Germans like solid food their worst with veg and potatoes excellent.Also godd quality Beer.

And that, meine Damen und Herren, is the full extent of deutsche Küche

Sausage and overcooked veg.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 12:55
 Chinese anyone? - Clk Sec
>> And that, meine Damen und Herren, is the full extent of deutsche Küche

You've not tried Wiener Schnitzel and Sauerkraut with a couple of cold beers, then?

Yum-Yum...
 Chinese anyone? - Zero
>> >> And that, meine Damen und Herren, is the full extent of deutsche Küche
>>
>> You've not tried Wiener Schnitzel

Yup

>>
>> Yum-Yum...

Vomit Vomit.

The only thing they can be trusted with is Bread, Sausage and Beer.
How do you cook vegetabelse then Zero.

Spinach,Andive,Chicory.Sauercraut,Red cabbage White cabbage Brown Beans.Sprouts.

Just sling them on a plate after cooking them in water.?Drain water put back in a dish add butter and simmer in oven.Whats wrong with that.I have eaten in German families homes no complains.Potatoes Veg meat and gravy fine by me .

Very simple meal cook carrots potatoes with a couple of unions .When cooked drain water mash all and put back in a in a dish with a dollop of butter.In oven for 20 minutes.Make gravy seperated form stock.A few pork chops and the kids are happy.

Healthier than beans on toast or a microwave dinner.
Vegetables.>;)
 Chinese anyone? - Zero
I dont just cook any veg in water.

Take spinach for example, served on its own its lump of vegetation.

Wilt it at the last minute in hotpot, or curry.

Sprouts, serve them dripping with butter and chopped nuts. Or sprinkled with a little paprika

Swede, mash it in butter and a little coconut milk.

potatoes mashed with dijon mustard and mayo.

or mashed with grated parmesan cheese

Simple but effective

Canarian Potatoes.

Roughly 2 lbs of small potatoes (highly essential that you do NOT use the large potatoes)
2 tablespoons of coarse Sea Salt

Cooking instructions
Wash all the potatoes thoroughly, ensuring that they are totally clean.

Once all the potatoes are fully cleaned and scoured, put them directly into a large saucepan with enough water in to cover them fully. Sprinkle the salt into the pan.

Then switch the potatoes on to boil for roughly 20 minutes - it's not an exact amount of time here, you'll be able to judge yourself when they're fully cooked. Once you're sure they're cooked through, simply switch the hob off and pour off all the water from the potatoes into the sink. Leave the sauscepan to cool, with potatoes still in, and you will notice the salt leaving behind a 'crisp' layer as the poatoes dry.

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 16:37
 Chinese anyone? - Roger.
German "wursts" of all kinds are, I think, inferior to a good British snorker.
Their beer, however, is another matter. We brought back a couple of 24 bottle crates from our recent trip - a Paulaner Weißbier (wheat beer & cloudy) and a good standard Pils, Krombacher by name.
The Paulaner was 14.99€ and the Krombacher a euro or two less, for the crate, but there is a deposit on the crates and bottles which comes to just under 5€ per 24 bottle crate.
Interesting choice Belgium. Lots of very good restaurants in Belgium, particulalry Brussels but there isn't really a Belgian cuisine is there? About the only thing would be Moules Frites. Belgian food is the subject of a lot of French humour1
>>but there isn't
>> really a Belgian cuisine is there?

Waffles and honey with morning coffee will do for me!
Waffles and honey sounds nice Old Navy.

Don't mind bacon and eggs and all the trimmings.To much for me now .
 Chinese anyone? - MD
>> America is a gastronomic desert. The best thing to come out of there is Mexican!
>>
The best thing to come out of there is the plane home.
Latest Forum Posts