Non-motoring > Electric roller shutter doors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 13

Electric roller shutter doors - BobbyG
I have one of the above and is controlled either by remote control or by switch on the wall.
The shutter is not coming down far enough, maybe about 1/2 inch short.

Is it worth my while taking the lid off the control box to see how to adjust this - is it going to be something DIY obvious or are these sorts of things "programmed".

At work just now so not sure of exact model, just wondering on the general principle of what these things use to mark their start and stop points?
 Electric roller shutter doors - R.P.
I had the name of a company that offered door servicing (I had a door like this in the old place) but despite googling can't find it. You paid them 150 odd quid and they serviced and guaranteed the work they did..

One result thrown up was this:-

home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/repair/how-to-repair-a-garage-door.htm
 Electric roller shutter doors - Iffy
...Is it worth my while taking the lid off the control box to see how to adjust this...

I would say yes.

When my roller shutter was installed, the fitter got it working and then adjusted the drop from the control box with, I think, a screwdriver.

So if you remove the cover of your box, the means of adjustment may be apparent.

Alternatively, is the door well-lubricated?

It may think it has reached the stop point, but is in fact sticking.

There will be an anti-trap mechanism, like a car electric window.

That sounds very feasible iffy - I had one in my old place for 13 years - and it was largely maintenance and trouble free - it wasn't cheap in those days though.
...it wasn't cheap in those days though...

Mine was about £700 around three years ago.

So far so good, and I wouldn't want to go back to a manual door now.

The most likely cost is that of someone attacking it.

This is the company which fitted mine, there might be something on the site to assist Bobby:

www.auto-roll.com/
 Electric roller shutter doors - teabelly
I'll check them out. I've got a manual door and it takes ages to wind up. Makes the garage unusable to keep a car you ever want to take in and out of it.
I bought mine (about 1500 quid in 1998 !) for ease of use with the bike - If we stay here beyond our five year plan would consider a pair here as well.

By the way YouTube might be your friend :-

www.youtube.com/user/TheGarageDoorGeek
...I'll check them out...

They are based in Washington, Tyne and Wear, which is local to me.

The prices were reasonable at the time, and they use a good, although not best, quality slatted door, which is good because you can replace only the damaged slats if someone rams it.

Electric roller shutter doors - Meldrew
My partner has a vast garage, long and wide plus a servicing pit!It is so big that she used have her 4 berth caravan pushed thru it for winter storage in the garden. It has electric roller shutter doors at both ends and I often wonder how she would access her car in the event of mechanical or electrical failure or even a power cut. There is no mechanical override from the outside for either door and it could make life complicated!
...There is no mechanical override from the outside for either door and it could make life complicated!...

I think some doors have a battery back-up, although mine doesn't.

They don't use a lot of power, no more than a hair dryer.

My door has a manual winding handle, but as Melders says, you need access from the back to operate it.

Electric roller shutter doors - -
>> My partner has a vast garage, long and wide plus a servicing pit!It is so
>> big that she used have her 4 berth caravan pushed thru it for winter storage
>> in the garden.

Give me eye teeth for something like that, sounds like it would have enough headroom for a lifter, enough to get the average car at least 3 ft off the ground....oh joy.

...Give me eye teeth for something like that, sounds like it would have enough headroom for a lifter, enough to get the average car at least 3 ft off the ground....oh joy...

And plenty of room to store a can of every brand and spec of oil under the sun. :)

Electric roller shutter doors - Meldrew
Indeed iffy! She has had a number of people asking to buy the house for the purpose of using the garage as a home business/workshop! It has a self-contained flat above it which was perfectly adequate for single occupancy with a large room, separate shower room and toilet and a kitchen annexe. What joy. Flat VERY cold in the winter though!
 Electric roller shutter doors - BobbyG
Cheers guys, will look at it over the weekend, some googling gave me this
www.gliderol.co.uk/files/Installation%20Instructions%20automatic%20single%20skin%20roller%20series%20A%20and%20AA%20doors.pdf
which refers to adjustable cams so that looks like a starter for ten...
Latest Forum Posts