Non-motoring > Helicoil Repair on Cycle Forks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Notdoctorchris Replies: 7

Helicoil Repair on Cycle Forks - Notdoctorchris
Hi, I've managed to strip the internal thread on my mountain bike forks, it's where the disc brake caliper bolts on. It would appear that a Helicoil type insert would be the best option. Has anyone tried this? I'm prepared to do it myself if necessary but would rather avoid the hassle and get it done. Do you think my local cycle shop would be able to do it or would I need an engineering shop?
I live in Sunderland, so if anyone in my area knows where I could get the job done, I would be grateful.
 Helicoil Repair on Cycle Forks - RichardW
Engineering shop - Cycle shop will just tell you it's scrap and need to buy a new set - unless you can find a frame builder that might be able to do something with it.
 Helicoil Repair on Cycle Forks - Old Navy
>> Engineering shop - Cycle shop will just tell you it's scrap and need to buy
>> a new set >>

Just like most garages these days, they don't do repairs, they just replace components
 Helicoil Repair on Cycle Forks - MJM
Have you got enough "meat" to drill and tap out to the next thread size up?
 Helicoil Repair on Cycle Forks - Bromptonaut
>> Have you got enough "meat" to drill and tap out to the next thread size
>> up?

That would be my concern too. The better the quality of the original component the less the chance of it being do-able.
 Helicoil Repair on Cycle Forks - Notdoctorchris
Probably not enough substance to the fork to drill and tap. In addition, the larger diameter bolt required would not fit the hole in the brake caliper.
It's interesting, when you search the web with queries like this which require a bit of real engineering, the Americans still have a "can do" attitude, whilst in the UK the standard practice seems to just replace expensive parts en masse.
I'm determined to get the correct Helicoil kit and do the job myself if nobody can do it for me. I've lost very little if the repair does not work out, if it does work I've gained, particularly in having learned a new skill.
 Helicoil Repair on Cycle Forks - bathtub tom
You won't need a larger bolt.

A helicoil's effectively a bush or spring with internal and external threads. You need to drill and tap the stripped thread, insert the helicoil, then re-use the original bolt.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E
 Helicoil Repair on Cycle Forks - Iffy
Notdoc,

Your local proper bike shop is Darke's Cycles:

www.peterdarkecycles.com/

Long-established, and still run by Peter Darke.

I've used them a couple of times over the years and would do so again.

Latest Forum Posts