Non-motoring > New fridge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 46

New fridge - MD
New fridge required. Need 1.8 tall x 600 wide x 550-600 deep. We have come out of the commercial types that we have had previously. Any good experience of domestic stuff given the above criteria please.

Regards...M.D.
 New fridge - Zero
I would have said Bosch, but with recent experience (fridge, washing machine, vacuum) I would say quality is falling alarmingly, mostly with the plastic components. Spare parts availability (with excellent on line parts diagrams) is excellent tho.
 New fridge - Iffy
There's a shop near me which sells reconditioned - probably no more than wiped over - second hand fridges.

I've lived with a second hand fridge in Iffy Towers for 10 years, and the fridge in my office was donated by a colleague from another newspaper.

A fridge is only a white box to keep stuff cold in, so I would look at second hand - provided there was a decent saving.

New fridge - Bromptonaut
Find myself in 100% agreement with Z.

Bosch fridge/freezer has been fine except for handles which seem to suffer fatigue breaks. Parts service excellent but not cheap
 New fridge - henry k
>> Bosch fridge/freezer has been fine except for handles which seem to suffer fatigue breaks. Parts service excellent but not cheap
>>
Daughters flat came with a Bosch fridge/ freezer ( including a broken and then bodged handle that had also split the door plastic)
IIRC the replacement simple plastic handle was £16 - ouch.
I managed to do a good repair and all was fine until the whole thing died.
It was built in but not integral. The only available same sizes unit was Bosch so ordered it from Tesco (Distress purchase due to rented out flat, replacement wanted yesterday and disposal of the dead one) price was good.

It was a rush replacement job and to my surprise the replacement was slightly wider so did not locate to the back of it location. Size was the same on paper.

I noted that quite a few larger units are now using a lever type handle to break the seal rather than heave on a simple handle.

New fridge - WillDeBeest
We have a John Lewis-branded fridge that we bought a year ago for our new house. Seems to fit your requirements and I notice now you can have one at a clearance price. It's an AEG underneath the JL badges. Well laid out and put together, although ours has recently started dribbling water from its condensation catcher and we can't work out why.

www.johnlewis.com/230878197/Product.aspx

New fridge - bathtub tom
>>dribbling water from its condensation catcher

I've had that sort of problem. In my case the pipe that took the condensation away to a tray on top of the motor, where presumably the heat evaporates it, was blocked.
 New fridge - Old Navy
>> >>dribbling water from its condensation catcher
>>
>> I've had that sort of problem. In my case the pipe that took the condensation
>> away to a tray on top of the motor, where presumably the heat evaporates it,
>> was blocked.
>>
>>

Most fridges come with a plastic probe to keep the pipe clear, a gentle prod with something like a skewer will clear it.
 New fridge - Meldrew
Or a length of that spiral wound net curtain hanging wire - flexible enough to clear the drain.
 New fridge - WillDeBeest
Ours has a probe made of bendy green plastic, but it didn't seem to be doing any good. So I unbent a big paperclip and wiggled that down the hole, gently and then a bit less gently. That seemed to shift something and the little pool of water in the V-shaped groove above the hole ran away. We'll watch it and see what effect it's had.

Thanks for the advice.
 New fridge - Bromptonaut
Pipecleaners are good for clearing defrost drains. Don't know if tobacconists still sell them but Hobbycraft do!!
 New fridge - WillDeBeest
Either that or a very small plunger.
 New fridge - Iffy
...Don't know if tobacconists still sell them...

Certainly do, you can get tapered ones, thin ones, standard ones, bristle ones, extra-long ones, coloured ones....

www.smoke.co.uk/acatalog/Cleaners.html
 New fridge - -
Yes, Bosch Siemens and Leibherr, the youngest of ours, we have one of each, is 9 or 10 years old and all are made with quality fittings that refuse to break despite robust regular use.

Z's comment is interesting, i find the made in Germany labels that once were plastered over Bosch products and packaging (mainly washers) is now only printed on the most expensive of their ranges.

Manufacturers that make a point of putting loud labels stressing the country of build reduce the size to miniscule or missing completely when manufacture goes east.

One tyre company that puts a sizeable ''engineered in Germany'' label on their product you'll have to get the magnifying glass out to find the point of manufacture for the ones not engineered in Germany..
 New fridge - Mapmaker
Iffy, fridges have a limited lifespan. The refrigerant leaks out so they have to work twice as hard to achieve the same effect.
 New fridge - Dog
Zanussi usually comes up trumps, for me anyway.
 New fridge - sooty123
LG for me, bought an asda fridege secong hand about six years ago. Had a look around the back all lg parts given me no problems at and everything is still attached. Can't remember what the brand name on the front was.
 New fridge - MD
Siemens anyone?
 New fridge - Old Navy
Are fridges like cars, all made from the same bits apart from the badge?
 New fridge - movilogo
Don't touch a Beko. Mine is giving trouble just out of warranty!

Also, in spite of so many fire incidents they are still not recalling those old fridges!
 New fridge - -
>> Siemens anyone?
>>

Yes as in my post Martin....it's the Hobgoblin you know..;)

Brick outhouse build quality, but probably 14 years old now, so i couldn't say whether the new ones are as good.
 New fridge - Iffy
...Iffy, fridges have a limited lifespan...

So do I, and the Philips fridge in Iffy Towers might outlast me yet.

It was old when I moved in 10 years ago, and it's still going strong.

As an accountant, you will know the cost of the tiny amount of extra electricity it might be using is nothing compared to the cost of replacing it.

And what's all this talk of broken handles?

You'd been a sledgehammer to get the handle off my fridge.

New fridge - Bromptonaut
We have a 1986 Zanussi in the garage as 'overflow' for the fridge in the kitchen. I think I replaced it's thermostat in the early ninieties but still doing fine keeping the beer and milk reserve cooled.
 New fridge - Falkirk Bairn
MiL's fridge is Zanussi (Cheapest at the time!) - it was there when I met my then new GF 42 years ago (now wife of 40 yrs standing) and is still going strong but requires attention more often now. A bit like myself!

Our twin Hotpoint Fridge & Freezer (John Lewis Special offer 1991)
Apart from a non functioning fridge light are 100% - and no it is not the bulb!

On the other hand and our 3 x sons all bought Siemens / Electrolux built in appliances and they have been short lived before giving troubles. Maybe the built-in part is the weakness.
 New fridge - Iffy
I don't think the now old electrical appliances were built to last any more than new ones are today.

They were just built in a way that is capable of lasting, which the modern ones are not.

New fridge - Cliff Pope

>> They were just built in a way that is capable of lasting, which the modern
>> ones are not.
>>

Which will be why my mother's Prestcold fridge has been running continuously since new in 1954.
 New fridge - Old Navy
>> Maybe the built-in part
>> is the weakness.
>>

Could well be, we killed two built in fridges over eight years, The free standing Hoover branded one fits in the hole, has more capacity, and will hopefully last a bit longer. I think the lack of ventilation is a factor in the built in fridges early demise.
 New fridge - apm
I always stick to German for appliances, don't think it makes a huge difference which (ie Bosch, Siemens, Neff, Miele).

We have a 5 year old Siemens fridge-freezer that looks as good as the day we bought it and has performed flawlessly (frost free really works on these). Our Bosch washer is 11 years old and marches on despite the abuse the wife heaps on it (drum overload...). Miele vacuum could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Which? tend to agree in terms of reliability (Siemens top, then Bosch then Neff).

HTH,

Alex.
 New fridge - Bigtee
Been looking for a fridge freezer and Bosch seems to be rated by the salesmen at £440.00

And reading on here you lot seem to agree, what about zanussi? the old ones were zanussi and one is at least 20yrs old what are the new models like?

Cheaper stuff around £260 mark like Baumatic, Indesit, Hotpoint etc what these like?

Had no luck with Hotpoint washer or tumble dryer.
 New fridge - madf
Our Bosch fridge freezer is now 20 years old and still excellent.

Our deep freeze ex Freecycle must be 25 years old .. and after a clean and repaint is working A1.

Lots of people selling newish white goods in our local papers in order to raise cash.. Some good bargains.
Edit
Hotpoint?

Bargepole job...
Last edited by: madf on Thu 6 Oct 11 at 16:55
 New fridge - Focusless
>> Hotpoint?
>>
>> Bargepole job...

Something about them 'going bang' on tonight's Watchdog apparently (8pm BBC1).
 New fridge - CGNorwich

"Lots of people selling newish white goods in our local papers in order to raise cash."

Must be pretty desperate if they're selling the fridge!

Fridges don't really go wrong much. Not much in the way of moving parts Our 22 year old Whirlpool still going strong and its predecessor lasted even longer and was only ditched because it didn't fit in the new house.
 New fridge - Fenlander
>>>Lots of people selling newish white goods in our local papers in order to raise cash." Must be pretty desperate if they're selling the fridge!

Quite a few nearly new appliances in mint condition from good homes found on Ebay when folks move to places where everything is integral or sizes wrong. We bought our 600mm Bosch fridge 18mths ago that way at about 20% of new price for one 13mth old.

We've just scrapped a Bosch washing machine at about 6yrs old, the matching dryer lasted 5yrs. Didn't last as well as the Zanussi models they replaced.
 New fridge - Stuartli
I have a big Beko fridge-freezer after my Bosch fridge packed up after less than 10 years (it was housed on top of a 30-year-old LEC freezer still going strong!)

The advice of pals in the trade was to get a Beko (they own models by the brand themselves) and 18 months later it's not yet given any problems. Can also be used in an outside shed or out building. I have the 721 F/F, which is 70cms wide, for the additional freezer capacity.
 New fridge - VxFan
>> I have a big Beko fridge-freezer

Hope its not one that doubles as an oven?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14025550

New fridge - Iffy
...Hope its not one that doubles as an oven?...

Now there's an idea.

If only we were all as visionary as you - and Steve Jobs.

New fridge - VxFan
Paddy beat me to it with his themos flask.

Asked by his foreman what it was,

"It for keeping hot things hot, and cold things cold"

"That's amazing" said the foreman. "What have you got in it today then?"

"I've got some coffee for this morning, and an ice cream for later" says Paddy.

I'll get me coat.
 New fridge - Bagpuss
>> Which? tend to agree in terms of reliability (Siemens top, then Bosch then Neff).

Interesting that there are differences in reliability as Bosch, Siemens and Neff fridges are basically the same products made in the same factories with the same components.
 New fridge - Old Navy
>> Interesting that there are differences in reliability as Bosch, Siemens and Neff fridges are basically
>> the same products made in the same factories with the same components.
>>

Now where have I heard of badge engineering before?
 New fridge - Dog
>>Now where have I heard of badge engineering before?<<

Probably here: www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/8806776/Same-car-different-badge.html
 New fridge - Suppose
I have one of these.

www.fisherpaykel.co.uk/product/fridge-freezer/

Efficient, reliable, and very quiet.

New fridge - Manatee
Our 17 year old Bosch was replaced last year by a Liebherr. The Bosch had been suffering a sagging door for a while. The Liebherr is visibly better built. I was surprised when changing the doors round to find that the hinges are cast and held on with torx head machine screws.

IIRC Miele fridges are made my Liebherr.
 New fridge - Bigtee
Thanks to the kind person who mentioned good used fridges, just won a Bosch fridge freezer on e bay to collect tomorrow. :-)
 New fridge - jazz008
Regarding fridge, I was really excited when I got my brand new fridge.
Last edited by: jazz008 on Sat 17 Nov 12 at 06:41
 New fridge - R.P.
We occasionally need to get out more on this site jazz...! :-0
 New fridge - Roger.
I'm going to be quite excited when we pick up our, eBay bought, Ercol TV unit tomorrow!
Oh - and more excitement looms on Monday when our, eBay bought, Ercol magazine rack/table arrives.
What will truly excite me, though, is if our eBay listed, Ercol coffee table sells!
Life is SO exciting!
 New fridge - Zero
>> I'm going to be quite excited when we pick up our, eBay bought, Ercol TV
>> unit tomorrow!

Well that will bring a new horizon to your complaints about your free BBC
Latest Forum Posts