Non-motoring > Dale Farm Volume 2.
Thread Author: Londoner Replies: 10

Dale Farm Volume 2. - Londoner
I'm a militant non-voter these days, partly because politicians are so out of touch with reality.
A prime example today:

Labour MEP Richard Howitt said: "The smoke above Dale Farm is the most visible sign of the failure of Basildon Council to seek a mediated solution."

WHAT!? They have spent TEN YEARS, and goodness knows how much ratepayers money trying to get a solution.

Full story at www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-15357932

Volume 1 can be found here:-

PS

Link Fixed - RP
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 19 Oct 11 at 16:41
 Dale Farm - Meldrew
Recent quote from an illegal resident of Dale Farm. " I've nowhere to go. I've been here 7 years and it's my home." Travellers eh? Get travelling!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Wed 19 Oct 11 at 12:57
 Dale Farm - Bromptonaut
>> Labour MEP Richard Howitt said: "The smoke above Dale Farm is the most visible sign
>> of the failure of Basildon Council to seek a mediated solution."
>>
>> WHAT!? They have spent TEN YEARS, and goodness knows how much ratepayers money trying to

I suspect his point was that the Council might have made more effort at conciliation rather than enforcement.
 Dale Farm - Stuu
The 'travellers' were never going to move unless forced to do so and frankly ten years is pretty easy going, plenty of time to make other arrangements, only the travellers didnt think for one minute the council had the will to follow through.
Hats off to them for going by the principle that the rules apply to everyone, a rare notion these days.
 Dale Farm - Meldrew
After 10 years of whatever they have been conciliating about in the end the law had to be enforced. The police don't "Conciliate" with law breakers and there is no need for council to either. If any of us had erected illegal structures in the Green Belt against the law of the land we wouldn't have lasted 10 years.

The rational sounding Leader of the Basildon Council said that ALL illegal occupants had been given details of other legal and vacant sites in the UK and the opportunity to travel to them which should have proved a very acceptable outcome, to genuine travellers!
 Dale Farm - Zero
They had a legal site for a considered number of caravans. Had they stuck to that they would not have had any agro. You cant go buying land and building HOUSES without planning permission. They stopped being travellers at that point so they cant cl;aim to be persecuted as such.
 Dale Farm - Iffy
They were keen enough to go to court, but are now not prepared to abide by the court's decision.

No surprise, but shameful all the same.

Dale Farm - NortonES2
I get the impression they only play by their own rules. They assume councils can't/won't afford the cost of enforcing planning law against an organised tribe.
 Dale Farm - MD
lock yer trailer up and leave yer shed doors open. Saves having the hinges ripped orf.
 Dale Farm - R.P.
Quite a good programme on tonight's Panorama.

I was reminded of this when I was watching on the night of the eviction. Classic Paxman and the UN spokesman set up to fail. They need a better PR/media person.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shti28Vc8Hs
 Dale Farm - Dog
>>Quite a good programme on tonight's Panorama.<<

And most enjoyable it was too Welshman - reminded me of the Carry On films from yesteryear!
Latest Forum Posts