Non-motoring > New member of the family. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 180

New member of the family. - R.P.
The trip out tonight was to view and pick a Springer puppy......joining us Saturday, he'll be mentored by the Cocker...hope they get on.

www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/6261602491/
 New member of the family. - BobbyG
Is he advertising the new Health Lottery ???? :)
 New member of the family. - bathtub tom
You'll be sorry! ;>)

When my springer was nine years old, she was happily bouncing around another. The owners asked us how old she was. I honestly replied and they said their's was six.

It took some time for them to realise I was talking years and them months!

Enjoy.
 New member of the family. - Pat
He's beautiful, and by the look on that face, he knows it too:)

Pat
 New member of the family. - Zero
Doh ! I love puppies, they always looks deliciously out of proportion.
He is. The Cocker's had his "rural" cut and looks more 5 months than 5 years....hopefully they'll get on.
 New member of the family. - Dave
It's a shame I'm not in england, as I have a working cocker bitch you could have had. She's a real beauty, and fabulous in everyway, but sadly isn't right for shooting over or competitions. There's a good network in blighty for rehoming spaniels, but unfortunately there's nothing lke that here.

A couple of years I rehomed an oldish springer here, but I took her back when she reached 31 kilos in weight.
Thanks Dave - I would have preferred an adult but the ones we were finding all seemed to have issues. This lad comes from a loving family, were the owners and the kids in the house were dotting over the pups and we saw the mother who comes from good stock.

The Cocker has kept his racing snake looks - we have a large garden here ideally suited to Spaniel races, plenty of walks in the vicinity including the recently mentioned Malltraeth were they can be let off the leads.

rj70 - the kettle's always on here btw !
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 20 Oct 11 at 09:20
 New member of the family. - Runfer D'Hills
Tell us that's not your carpet PU ! Sheesh, I've not seen anything like that since 1973...

:-)
 New member of the family. - Dog
>>Tell us that's not your carpet PU ! Sheesh, I've not seen anything like that since 1973...<<

LOL!

I think you've been sold a pup PUR.P :-D

Is he/she black n' white or just very dark brown, looks luvly BTW, but you've got ya work cut out!!
I helped a spaniel rehoming charity for a number of years and sadly many, if not most, had a number of issues. Some were curable, some were manageable, but many were neither, unfortunately.

I've always rehomed mine when they get to 7 or 8 years old, or earlier if they weren't up to snuff. It makes way for new dogs, saves me vet bills, and also the heartache when they die. I guess I've been lucky as I've always found friends and relatives that are happy to take them on. And they've been lucky too, as they get a nice dog that doesn't make a mess , doesn't eat the house, bark all day, fight with other dogs, bite people, eat the cat, run away, and walks nicely on or off the lead.
>>walks nicely on or off the lead.

I'm fortunate to live within a few hundred yards of park and woodland. I was well known for strolling around the woods with a dog lead, while a springer could be heard in the distance 'parking' squirrels up trees. She never caught one in fourteen years.

She did seem to know, intuitively, when I left the woods and would come and find me.
No carpets here Humph - Tiles everywhere apart from the front room and diner - The cocker has had to have winter tyres on all summer, consequently - photo taken at the breeder's house.
Takes a while for dogs to get used to tiles, they are forever sliding around everywhere.

Bit like Merc drivers come to think of it.
Power slides.
He does do power slides and they are very impressive to behold - top tip is not to trim the hairs between the pads - traction control and grip.
We were considering how lucky we've been with this dog we have now - 5 years old now as fit as a fiddle - I had him when he was 16 months old - you couldn't ask for a better house dog - barks only to confirm his name, doesn't chew or soil - can be left alone all day. He has some nervousness issues which may result in a growl or at worst a nip - but manageable, loves other dogs unless they are aggressive to him.....hates travelling in the car but doesn't pooh or vomit !
He's brown and white....poor iPhone picture.
We've got tiles or wood ( well, mock wood of course ! ) everywhere too. If you get enough speed up in the garden and leap through the patio doors you can just about sock slide all the way to the front door...Not as easy as it sounds mind as there's a chicane through the hall.

New member of the family. - Armel Coussine
Most dogs oversteer and handle appallingly on all but the grippiest surfaces, even small dogs. They often go into an uncatcheable tank-slapper on a polished sitting room floor.

A healthy domestic cat is the Audi Quattro on studded tyres of the domestic animal world. Even on polished stone they can do better than dogs as a rule.
The Cocker must have read this - he's just gone charging through to the kitchen showing perfect ASC control and then take a flying leap onto the mat in the kitchen then power slide it into the utility room - just for the hell of it apparently !
 New member of the family. - MD
Is it still termed Liver and white with them springing things PU?
 New member of the family. - VxFan
>> I love puppies

I said that once and got a slap in the face for my comments. In my defence I was drunk at the time and even without the beer goggles she was absolutely gorgeous.
Well collected this morning, 30 mile journey home, lots of whinging and pee by the time we got home but otherwise not bad, gets on quite well with the Cocker - thankfully. The joys of house training have started.
You should have taken the bike Rob ~ www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/6269205731/
That's a good one - there was a chat about bringing him home in the top-box !

Been a bit of a power struggle after tea - it all started outside with the Cocker's ball - the pupster found its voice and and started barking at him - fast forward to the house and a real bit of wrestling over the Cockers bed - the Cocker is showing remarkable restraint in not retaliating to nips and a paw over the snout - the pup has just crashed out on the cocker's bed with the cocker keeping a token corner occupied with a paw and his head. They seem to be getting on, I think the Springer might prove to be a challenge to the Cocker's domination in time.

Tried to muscle in on the Cocker's food and there was a bit of a falling out over the water bowls.. all good fun.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 22 Oct 11 at 18:08
 New member of the family. - Bromptonaut
>> That's a good one - there was a chat about bringing him home in the
>> top-box !

About six weeks ago I stopped for the lights on the A5 at Weedon.

Vehicle in front was a large PTW, a Harley I think. Behind the pillion and strapped on in a harness and eyeballing me was a small dog - Jack Russell sort of thing.

Showed every sign of enjoying itself!!
 New member of the family. - VxFan
On Motorway Cops a few weeks ago they pulled over a biker who was towing a home made dog trailer made from an old oil drum.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Uj6_7Mm2s

In Addlestone there was a guy with a Motorcycle Combination ( what a great old fashioned phrase for a motorbike and sidecar) who use to run around with a dog in the sidecar, and the dog wore a flying helmet and goggles, EXACTLY like Muttley.
How'd it go Rob - the first night!!

Last pup we had was Milo (now 11), we had an annexe back then up in Warleggan, so I tooks him in there with me, layed loadsa newspaper down and as soon as I sees him squatting, I turfed him outside,

He was owse trained surprisingly quickly as I seem to remember.
Grim. Howled most of the night in the cage, but we didn't respond until 3.00am when he was let out for a pooh. Slept then till seven and then let out with the other dog and then they both wanted to play after their food- managed to grab an hour's kip on the sofa, both dogs curled up on beds. The other dog not known for his tolerance of people has been a saint, putting up with nips from the little 'un and a night of disturbed sleep with no ill-temper.
>> Grim. Howled most of the night in the cage,

Happens to most dogs, first night in a strange place on its own. Specially pup away form the litter and mum for the first time.

Should only last about three nights max, some only two. It clears when they realise that

a: howling gets them nothing
b: there are others around even if not in sight (hearing and smell helps them here, they get used to the night noises/smells)
c: Morning, with food fun and company *always* turns up .

The next stage is to get very "clocky" If the first two nights, people turn up at 8:00 am, and they don't arrive n time day three, press the doggy alarm button!
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 23 Oct 11 at 10:03
Used to that doggy alarm thing - Alf is now happy until 8.30am since I retired and don't need to get up as ealry. The pup id already doing the cocky thing trying to pinch the older dog's food and pinching the older dog's bed(but soon reminded who's boss), he's realized that some toys are off limit - hopefully he'll get used to the cage (well he'll have to) the other dog tried to muscle in there with him last night. They are bonding packwise though. Quite funny though the older dogs asks to go to the car when things get too fraught.

He's a typical spaniel though - very intelligent and aware of his surroundings, learns very quickly, hope we crack the housetraining thing soon though - very wearing despite tiled floors, be a nightmare with carpets.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 23 Oct 11 at 10:14
Can we have some photos of the two together please?

Pat
I'll upload some now - they've been apart most of the afternoon - now arguing over a bone in an amusing and quite gentle way (from the bigger dog)

www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/6273673124/in/photostream

The date on the camera is wrong btw.
Nice flooring, I likes the light oak (obviously a DIY job) oh and let sleeping dogs lie :)
I usually keep new pups in the house overnight until they get to about 6 months old, then they go out with the rest.

Some are as noisy as hell for maybe a week, but the last one I got didn't make a sound. I went to bed the first night expecting the usual, but I slept like a log and had actually forgotten about him when I was getting up. It was only after a few minutes I remembered he was in the kitchen and I hadn't heard a peep all night. I rushed down the stairs expecting him to be dead, but there he was sat waiting for me. Of course, there were a couple of puddles and pile of poo as well.
The housetraining seems to be coming on - asked to be let out twice today....few accidents...minor spillage nothing to see here...!
The photos depict the consequences of the so called "bed wars" that's the big dog's bed which was occupied by 'is highness yesterday and has been the source of much conflict in the last 24 hours - the big dog has been a right old softy with him, but the little 'un knows who the boss is !
I think the big dogs maternal instinct is beginning to show looking at those pics:)

Pat
Another bad night but at least he slept for at least 4 hours - no soiling and straight out of the front door for a pee and a pooh - eaten, now playing with the big dog over a duck and a lion. He'll sleep in a minute then both the big dog and I will get a nap.
as a slight aside Rob a very knowledgeable gun dog trainer once told me never to allow dogs vigorous exercise after a meal. Something about their stomachs 'turning over' or some such thing when death could soon result. He had no reason to fib.
I've heard about that - I generally feed them after their walks/runs for that very reason, little dog not yet caught on to statutory rest periods...liver and white btw. He's busy trying to intimidate the big one at the moment - not easy. Springing around and barking as the big dog has a previously stashed bone....part of the little one's learning curve
Its very true, never exercise dogs after a meal, they get twisted intestines. Its a well know issue, called a canine gastric torsion.

never feed them right after exercise either, wait till they have finished panting, the food can end up in the lungs.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 24 Oct 11 at 16:41
vets r us!! Confound it, that's three of us agreed then. Love them dogs, but our three labs live indoors. Not much fun in this weather. It has been tipping down all day, the garden is a quagmire and so is her Kitchen..............OUCH!!
dry as a bone in the arid south
 New member of the family. - henry k
>> dry as a bone in the arid south
>>
Sure is. Just been round the estate with the hose -again
Last edited by: henry k on Mon 24 Oct 11 at 17:48
 New member of the family. - CGNorwich
Not much longer - rain a couple of hours away from London. Doubt if much will reach Norfolk though. Strange year with amazingly warm dry spring and Autumn and a damp cool summer.
Not been a bad day here, bit windy, poor little hound was caught in in gust - big dog is sick of the changes - sought sanctuary on his newly erected old cage earlier....we're both rather weary. But his good humour is being maintained.
Very windy here and the soil is dry. I watered the (summer) hanging baskets again yesterday but how much longer will they last?

Winter baskets and tubs are all planted and it never ceases to cheer me on a bleak winters day when I see a Pansy or Viola smiling at me, or even smell a winter Stock as I walk up the path.

Pat
I can relate to that, I'm learning to love the garden as well now Pat. About time !
You just wait till Young Dog ( has he got a name?) digs up the flower bed to bury a bone...or even just because it's FUN:)

Pat
Cymro (Welshman) a traditional name for a doggie around these parts ! I just realise how good the the other dog is.....never chewed anything, except the odd bit of mail, a totally functional dog in so many ways....
Can you tell us how to pronounce that please?:)

And Old Dog is....?

Pat
Best I can describe is "come-roe" (Hard C at the start) - the other is Alfie or Alf (Awkward Little Fellow !)
I like that:)

Pat
FiFi has so much more class
Peace at last - the old trick of leaving a radio on as background noise woked a treat - two sleeping dogs in their beds and I have a chance of pushing up some zzzzzzzzzzzz shortly
There's one or two that'd like to push some Zed (o:-)
take more than your wimpy house labs.
They've been playfighting today - obviously a ritual to it - the big dog makes lots of noise, little dog responds - outwardly aggressive cocker all snarls and displays his infamous "glint" but only feinting and pushes and shoves accompanied by positive body language, ears hitched up and wagging tail and rolling over in submission and the bone of contention a toy - dropped deliberately into the pup's lap.... more than a dozen times so not chance.....the little 'un avoiding actual nipping the big one, but doing Springer leaps at the other.....obviously some mysterious pack behaviour going on.
 New member of the family. - devonite
>>They've been playfighting today - obviously a ritual to it <<

This is where you get on "all fours" and join in, giving pup a deliberate but playful "chiggle ont` Lug", this will tell him that he is infact 3rd in the chain of command and that you/your commands are to be respected! ;-)
He lags behind in fourth place ! or is that me ?
How's that blimming dog then this morning Pugley??

Come roe :-D
Slightly better night, lulled him to sleep at around eleven, yowled for what seems like an eternity but I slept and he was quiet when the wife came home at 2.30am - and he slept til gone six - started crying for his ablutions so the other dog and I had to spark up - still violent towards the other hound this morning, took a nasty nip at his ear - no reaction from the older dog, just a bemused look (the Cocker has an expressive face and can actually sneer when forced to do something he doesn;t want to) - seems to have changed a bit when I came home, a more waggy tail, seems more responsive to movements and sounds - there was a demonstration of doggy hierarchy tonight, the Cocker was enjoying his evening Woodbine (a raw hide strip dangling from his lower lip)- the nipper tried to nick it, and there was a confrontation - nipper backed off and went to play on his own. I think an understanding is developing. No nastiness from the big dog, just an unambiguous growl and display of his pearlies. Not playtime.
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 26 Oct 11 at 20:49

Sure there is, and has to be hierarchy within dogs in a pack (house) The dynamic might well change, but its not as obvious as people think, top dog may not not be who you realise. Sure as a pup its clear, but its just education. Kindergarden. Playground comes later.

You dont need to drag Human into Pack hierarchy.. Its them and US, and they know *US* can be a whole new ball game, US is stuff they don't comprehend, US feeds them, US is entertaining, US is comforting, US can tell us off, US is never understood. So they try to train US not dominate US, they like US.

Understand that, and you have control of DOG. Loose those last three words and Dog Bite.

>>Understand that, and you have control of DOG. Loose those last three words and Dog Bite.

Oh yes!

I'll make an exception for Pat. ;>)
:)

That is right though, and it works with cats too.

Our three are pretty good at knowing what they can and can't do but when all three are firmly ensconced on our two laps in the evening, all I need to say is OFF, and they all jump down immediately.

mrpda says, 'come on now, it's time to get off time' and two off them don't even open an eye and the Siamese swears loudly at him:)

That's because his tone of voice indicates that he's happy to debate the point, mine doesn't!

Pat

Finally last night - hell of a racket to start with - he finally fell asleep in my arms at around 12.30am and slept until 6.50am this morning ! Been crazy since though.
From the missus ...

You think he would have settled down by now!!!!! Still he had that glint in his eye that said “I’m gonna be a handful”

:)
Ours settled in much quicker I'm pleased to say. Whined for about 15 minutes the first night and has been fine ever since. Toilet training was a doddle too. Only a couple of accidents in the first week.

Stills craps/pukes in the car though...

:-(
>> :)
>>
>> That is right though, and it works with cats too.

Cats!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTmvQNWqX8
Bingo - loaded in the cage last night at just before 12.00am not a peep out of him until 6.00 this morning - like a mad thing this morning playing with the big 'un, whose teasing him with a squeaky ball. At least there's hope of some tiredness later on.
I'd give pup some erbs Pugley ~ www.avogel.co.uk/dormeasan/index.php

You probably get your hops via other means ;}
>> I'd give pup some erbs Pugley ~ www.avogel.co.uk/dormeasan/index.php

What for? its being a pup, you want to stop a pup being a pup?
No, silly of me to post that, more a joke than anything, but I'd use a similar potion on my 11 year old mutt if I had to take him to the vets.
Slight progress with the housetraining - after a painfully long week of taking him out when he wakes up from his naps and after every mealtime, he began to follow me without prompting before the weekend, twice this afternoon he asked to go out by going to the door - once was an urgent job ! Not out of the woods yet, but getting there. Took his first recreational trip out in the car yesterday no problems - unimpressed with winter tyres though !
Ah well - he sleeps all night, and barely complains on going to bed - the two are with me in the kitchen now, play fighting - the bigger dog has adopted a strange technique during this game - he uses the weight of his hind-quarters to pin the pup against a wall then wraps his 3/4 docked tail around the pup in a tail lock/hold - very funny but effective.
Life in the pack seems to be going well.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Nov 11 at 08:03
Three weeks on. He's put 1/2 a kilo on, he can do basic commands, like sit, heel etc. He's more or less house-trained - asked to go out a few minutes ago. Required a lot of patience and time (which I have, but I had to turn some temporary work down) - he's as bright as a button, and typically Spaniel he's an adept bird spotter - had his last jab today so he'll be ok to meet his public in a couple of weeks. Already made a lot of friends including the aspiring pop-star over the road, who went all giggly and squeaky when she saw him.

He sleeps straight away in his cage now, one of us gets up with him to let him out at around 3.00am, he's as bleary eyed as we are. Generally dry now with the "accidents" tailing off.

The older dog has taken to him and they sleep together of an evening on the big dog's bed. He's unfazed as the older lad by fireworks and positively seemed to thrive on the bangs - both are well bred gun-dogs so if we want to work him it looks good.

Lots of funny anecdotes, one when I caught the older dog leading him up the stairs - neither are allowed up there, but there was something going on between them.
 New member of the family. - Armel Coussine
A publican friend of mine in London has a water spaniel bitch, very furry paws like a shire horse, bit of a pain in the salon after a country walk or even a waddle down to King's Cross... but I only meet it in the pub. Soppy nervous paranoid overbred little animal but with considerable charm.
I guess that the older dog may be over-bred - he's not good with people, either that or he was abused before I got him. He gets on with me and I love him so that's ok !
Sounds like he settling in really well, and you have done all the right stuff with him.

Going to be delight for a good number of years I think.
>> neither are allowed up there, but there was something going on between them. <<

Looking for a bigger bed?

They grow so quickly at that age so it would be nice if you could keep the pics coming for us PU.

Pat
>>They grow so quickly at that age so it would be nice if you could keep the pics coming for us PU<<

+1
Will do - I've had some broadband problems - my connection slowed down to 0.12 (slower than a dial up) back to normal after some calls to the perfectly charming people at BT's call centre (not being sarcastic) - woken up by him at 7.00am this morning, been like a whirling dervish ever since - hopefully the battery pack will run down shortly...
>> Will do - I've had some broadband problems - my connection slowed down to 0.12
>> (slower than a dial up)

Someone shot the carrier pigeon to the mainland?

Teach the pup to send packets, that will be much quicker.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 12 Nov 11 at 08:12
>>Will do - I've had some broadband problems - my connection slowed down to 0.12 (slower than a dial up)<<

Same here (Plusnet) watching our resident film producers video yesterday was nigh on impossible.
New game running around the sofa to gain momentum and then sliding across the polished floor - at least it tires him out - eventually...
90 mile round trip today - slept all the way there and all the way back. Way to go !
On the bike??
Dog puts himself to bed ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzLVgrK8zlE
In a box, in the car. Not a whinge or a fart. Good dog ! One of the most amusing things was the pup met my in Laws' Labrador - he's a big dog - the little pup saw him, stopped stock still, peed himself and ran off tail between the legs crying. Shouldn't have laughed but Lesson No 430 learnt.
Aah – but I couldn’t stop laughing, (from the missus!)
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/6348243100/

The lad earlier this afternoon, doing something he shouldn't
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww,

I want a puppy!
Go on Zero, I won't give up.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UMMGNxg1Lg

New member of the family. - CGNorwich
Here you are Zero. Enough reason here as to why you don't want to watch that awful film. Fantastic film review by by favourite film critic.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nki5M-_EVLU
Adorable, absolutely adorable (wifeys werds)
What him? Not possible with look on his face, he's innocent and beautiful:)

Pat
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/6350876269/

Both dogs - the black lad is difficult to photograph as his coat seems to absorb light. He's had a radical haircut after a rather scruffy appearance here a few weeks ago.
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/6351629828/

The black one in his element - wet and happy !
you really need a decent camera there. Or learn to fill with a flash!
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 16 Nov 11 at 21:30
The youngsters on the sofa again!
The waterside photo's off a mobile. Mrs RP took the other, dunno what she used.
>> The waterside photo's off a mobile. Mrs RP took the other, dunno what she used.

Canon Digital IXUS 70.

The old excuse, blame the wife!
That is her camera !
Nice conservatory furniture.
Why do conservatories need their own type of furniture - where does the cane look come from?
We have a sunroom at the back but it just has a normal leather suite in it.
Its the welsh, they do things with reeds, like the jocks do things with dead animal skins.
Wot you got them ? Re-claimed bus seats ?
 New member of the family. - rtj70
We have some 'inherited' Ercol chairs and sofas in ours. We cannot get rid of it... we might have had to if we didn't have the space.
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/6352067469/

One of Alf in his element - note the blurred tail - due to rapid wagging !
Wish I looked as good as that wet and bedraggled:)

Paty
>> Wish I looked as good as that wet and bedraggled:)
>>
>> Paty

You look better wet and bedraggled. ;)
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 17 Nov 11 at 09:04
>> Wot you got them ? Re-claimed bus seats ?

Wooden Cottage style sofa and chairs in the conservatory, with a (now faded) Laura Ashley print fabic. Inherited from the now deceased Witch in Law.

The sitting room has dead cow covered ones, bought from the Sofa warehouse near Newport, or Cardiff - cant remember which, off the welsh bit of the M4 anyway.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 17 Nov 11 at 09:08
>> bought from the Sofa warehouse

Sofa Sofa? Ours come from there too. And the ones before the current sofas too. A lot cheaper than other places and good quality.
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/?deleted=6353613997

Some hard play this afternoon (and still at it now !)

And before there's criticsm of the photos they were long range Zoom lens jobbies !
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 17 Nov 11 at 16:48
you did well, its a job to frame active dogs on the move, with a telephoto lens.

Clearly its the wife that is crap with a camera, as you suggested. I should never have doubted you.

She wont be reading this will she?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 17 Nov 11 at 16:57
She will and she knows where you live.
Good to see 2 dogs having fun, I don't think I'd ever have just one dog again.
That was part of the reason - Alfie is so much more stimulated when the in-laws' dog comes to stay and went into a doggie depression when he went. He's been pretty sparked up for the last few weeks - had had enough the other day and went for respite to the boot of the car !
Milo is a 'depressive', but the RR's are known for being loners & aloof, he's 11.5 years so it's a bit late to get him a mate really, but then I keep hearing tales from er indoors about puppies where she works, so ... !
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/sets/72157628178160503/

Sorry about the shiny nuts - but they're both fast asleep after a day's playing/running/eating etc..
>>Sorry about the shiny nuts

A rub down with some coarse sandpaper should cure that - not that I'd like to try it, try bouncing the flash.
Dog life doesn't get much better than that:)

Pat
I called in my aerial man from Mevagissey a couple of weeks ago to sort out my Freeview reception,
I have Freesat HD but y'all get some programs on Freeview worth watching once in a blue moon,
like the History channel at 9pm tonight, anyway - he was telling me all about the puppy he's bought for 700 notes,
and what a little smasher he is ~

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/6425490581/
Smart one. Had to get a child safety gate for the stairs (on loan)...never thought I'd see the day !
>> Had to get a child safety gate for the stairs (on loan)...never thought I'd see the day !

Child safety gate left at our house when we bought it. We thought we'd use it at night to stop the cat coming up and disturbing us. She then learned to really 'shout'. She sounds like she is saying 'where are you'... gate now gone.
It's for daytime use, the pup sleeps in a cage - the big dog will only go upstairs when we are out - seems to think we don't know.
>> the pup sleeps in a cage

There's an idea for the cat :-) She now sleeps in the kitchen with the door closed. Access to food, water, garden etc.

I hope she went out today... mini tornado near by so must have been windy! I was in Liverpool at the time. Day off and all that so lunch out.
>>the big dog will only go upstairs when we are out

We had a Springer that would curl up on the settee almost as soon as we left the house. Babysitters would assume it was allowed. She'd jump off when she heard the car in the drive - then her hearing started to go............
They are incredibly wise dogs.....they've both been sitting south of the closed gate staring forlornly as I was pottering upstairs....a good photo
He's adorable:)

Pat
God I so Want a poopie for chrisymas
You can have one - partly run in, winter paws - own bed - I need a break !
Its used! Soiled! I want a brand new one.

Mind you might get it back properly trained I suppose....
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 29 Nov 11 at 18:32
OUCH!!
None taken.
Never show a spaniel what you don't want it to know.
A very profound statement Dave. This is casuing a bit of consternation for the pup as we speak. He's not allowed in the garage - too much scope for disaster. The other dog an I disappear there for routine tasks (shredding, recycling and the odd snooze) - the little one is itching to get in.....
Favouritism. I'll report you. (o:o)
 New member of the family. - Fullchat
This made me titter!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

Another take:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9w7I507D6E

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9w7I507D6E

There are many more derivatives :-)
>>This made me titter!<<

((LOL!))
Wasnt long before Hitler got in on the act

www.youtube.com/watch?v=quU6-tsnV24&feature=related
 New member of the family. - Fullchat
Think you appreciate it more if you have ever had a pooch.
>>Think you appreciate it more if you have ever had a pooch<<

And some!

My R/Ridgeback came within seconds of being shot by a Farmer on his quad bike once when we lived at Gorran Haven - Sheep!!
The R/R has a quad bike !?
>>The R/R has a quad bike !?<<

pawXpaw ;)
>> >>The R/R has a quad bike !?<<
>>
>> pawXpaw ;)

Thats a fruit!
Asimina triloba to you!
>> Think you appreciate it more if you have ever had a pooch.

I appreciate the fact my dog will recall on command. Under any circumstances.
An update - Of late we've noticed the pup's reluctance to get up to go for a pee at night - last night he slept the night through without anyone disturbing anyone, the "accidents" have become far less frequent, one remarkable thing from day one is he's only pooh'd in the house once.

On his own, he will walk well on a lead, bit of a handful when both are taken out on my own though. But that is progressing.

He's bonded very well with the older dog and he obviously prefers being with the older dog than one of us of an evening...not that I'd let him on my lap - no- never ! :-)

He spent 4 hours on the road yesterday - couple of comfort breaks including a roadside picnic. No problems......

Cracked it then. Clearly all is well in dogville Anglesey.
 New member of the family. - Focusless
This is our 4 legged member of the family, Dillon:
i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/22122011112.jpg

Cav king charles, 4 and a half. Currently very peed off due to thing on his head. Initially tried moving but kept bumping into things, so decided to stay still - he just stays where you put him. Quite handy really.

Headgear is a result of operation to fix prolapsed urethra, which was done a week ago. We weren't strict enough in making him wear it at first, so it wasn't healing as quickly as it should, if at all. But we toughened up; vet saw him again this morning and is happy - still wants him to keep it on though until next visit, which is Wednesday. Dog not impressed!
I can understand how you found it hard to put a thing like that on such a beautiful face, he's lovely:)

Pat
 New member of the family. - Focusless
>> I can understand how you found it hard to put a thing like that on
>> such a beautiful face, he's lovely:)

Putting it on isn't too hard - it's putting up with the moaning after :)

(but he gives up eventually)
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 23 Dec 11 at 15:11
Old Dillon looks a bit cheesed off !
>>including a roadside picnic<<

o.k, what did he find? - Horse or Cow pooh?
His own food in a bowl - whilst they were attending to their "needs" I was approached by a guy asking if they were Police dogs !
probably worried they were "Sniffers"! - and he had pockets full of ..............
Back story to this is I was hoovering - put him in his cage and dragged it into the conservatory but must have left it insecure....been at the sherry and passed out (joke that last bit) - too clever for his own good !

www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/6564970991/
I think he thinks he's a cat.
We shouldn't laugh at him, dogs are sensitive, you know.

He has no control of those legs, they don't even belong to him yet and when a dogs got to sleep, he has to sleep, so leave him be!

Pat
Hoovering? Gosh.

I thought you were married?...

>> Hoovering? Gosh.
>>
>> I thought you were married?...
>>
>> :-)

In touch with his feminine side
He's not biting though. Probably knocking up a few scones...

I am I was wearing my pinny too.
I was drinking (a glass of beer) and showing my wife some pants on another forum where they're allowed to say and do rude things.
Rob,

Just a quick thank you for sharing the pup's progress. I'm not a dog person (though I have bonded with a few family friend's pooches) but I've really appreciated this thread.
 New member of the family. - nyx2k
we have a pair of cockers too.
very loving animals and pretty.
Friends Wrexham way have just acquired a cocker. Leads me to ask how's the lad doing now?
Slept outside his cage for the first time this last week - a little taller than the Cocker (and still a little slower in a chase) - not chewed anything untoward, runs happily off the lead and comes back (!) still tugs on a lead though - still as thin as a rake ! Eats like the proverbial though. A good dog not needy in any way.
I feed mine tinned Pilchards now and again. Good for their joints. NO..............not in Tomato sauce.
 Had a busy day..... - R.P.
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/7322376202/in/photostream

Pain in the proverbial bringing outside toys inside...but....
 Had a busy day..... - Londoner
Just had a butchers at the picture, and all I can say is .......Ahhhhh! :-)
Ace dog, RP!
 Had a busy day..... - R.P.
A taste for BMW remotes (two) his only weakness...
 Had a busy day..... - BobbyG
What a pair of balls he has on him!!
 Had a busy day..... - Dutchie
Nice pictures R.P. I am in the doghouse so to speak.Went to the daughters and visiting granddaughter .I left the front door open and her cat got out hasn't returned yet for two days.
We put up posters and a Tel.No.Let's hope moggy returns.
 Had a busy day..... - Armel Coussine
Cats are such a pain. Sometimes their 'owners' are too. Do you mean to say that your daughter's cat never goes out of the house until it finally escapes Dutchie? That isn't the way to keep a cat. But life for cats in big cities can be a bit risky. We got through three or four in 36 years in the Grove, and they all got killed in the street.

My granddaughter has a winsome black cat which seems to be living here at the moment. It's a charming slightly overweight animal that snores when sleeping. A week or so back it came into the kitchen behind me and said HUK HUK HUK a few times and left the tripes of a lot of voles, worms and toads on the floor in a heap, then did it again a couple of yards away.

I wasn't at all pleased with it I can tell you. Everyone else was asleep so I had to cover the puke with some paper so I wouldn't have to see it - that would quite likely have caused me to add my own stomach contents to the mess - and scrape it off the tiles with bits of cardboard, then get a lot of damp kitchen towels to wipe the residual carp.

Yuck. Damn verminous brute.
 Had a busy day..... - Dutchie
You are right A.C.I have mentioned to daughter to leave it out in the garden.We have two cats and they are in or out.Never mind kids never listen.>:)
Latest Forum Posts