Non-motoring > Florizel Street Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 27

Florizel Street - Dog
Did you watch it last night?

I don't do a lot of telly these days, especially anything with blimming adverts in it, innit,

But last night the ole beeb mustered up some alf decent telly with "The Road to Coronation Street" which I thoroughly enjoyed watching,

And that's from someone who hasn't watched the prog in donkeys years.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ttj2r/The_Road_to_Coronation_Street/
 Florizel Street - RattleandSmoke
Watched it last year when it was first shown. Was a great drama or what ever it is.

Massive fan of corrie, but then both my parents have watched it since 1960.

I've watched every episode (more less) since 1990.
 Florizel Street - Dog
>>Watched it last year when it was first shown<<

I said I don't watch much telly :)

Yes it was a great drama, with great characters - just like the 'real' ones really.

We all used to watch it in the 60's - even in sowf lunden!
 Florizel Street - devonite
Richard Klein, Controller BBC Four, says:
"Florizel Street is a typically thought-provoking BBC Four commission. It pinpoints a significant moment when Britain emerged from the greyness of the Fifties, led by a resurgence of culture in the north of England.

There proves it!!
Britains Culture owes todays existence to the NORTH!! - Un-cultured Southerners "eat yer hearts out"!!!
 Florizel Street - Dog
>>Britains Culture owes todays existence to the NORTH!! - Un-cultured Southerners "eat yer hearts out"!!!<<

There we have it then - microbes can be cultured!
Only to a degree though! - South of Watford Gap! however dont confuse "cultured" with "Trained"! ;-)
 Florizel Street - Dog
The North is usually where the baddies come from though i.e. North Korea, North Vietnam, North Warizstan, Northern Ireland, (North London!)

Why, even the perky penguins know South is best :)
 Florizel Street - Roger.
Northern Britain - Scotchland!
 Florizel Street - Dog
They don't like being called Scot-ch, Roge,

Few years back I was walking around the Eden project with Milo and I met another geezer walking his dog, turns out he was from Scotchland, his wife was visiting the Eden project, he didn't fancy it, so he pals up with me for a chinwag,

Anyway, he was from Glasgow and I was mentioning Millwall FC for some reason or another and he said if Glasgow Rangers fans came down to the den (Millwall ground) the animals (as the Millwall fans are called) would run for their lives (and I can well believe him)

So, (and this is the main reason for this reply!) in the course of our conversation, I called him a Jock in the context of - I'm a cockney and you're a jock, and, I've since wondered if that was derogatory and I was lucky not to get a Glaswegian handshake.
 Florizel Street - Roger.
They speak a funny language, too - Jockinese
 Florizel Street - Runfer D'Hills
Some would argue, and some of them would be correct, that a well modulated Scots accent is by far the most accurately pronounced form of English. Andrew Marr is a good example of a Scot who speaks nigh on perfect English.

Take a common mistake of the English, English speaker, the omission of the letter "r" from the spoken word or indeed its insertion where it is not present. So they end up referring to our erstwhile Prime Minister as Mr "Bleh" when in fact the correct pronounciation is "blay-ir". Alternatively, the "r" is randomly dropped back in as in "soring" when "sawing" is the intended sound. "Which" becomes "witch", "white" becomes "wite" due to an inexplicable aversion to the letter "h".

So perhaps some forms of "Jockinese" are in fact nearer to the purity of the language than other dialects !

No need to apologise. Common enough mistake...

:-))
 Florizel Street - Slidingpillar
The pronunciation and emphasis of the letter 'H' is generally seen in an educated Edinburgh accent. As such, many media 'luvvies' do so, either by affectation or in a few cases, they do really have the accent.

It is however a mistake to assume that just because a letter is there in the spelled word, it should always be pronounced. You'd have a fine time with words with q in them for one. Even village names are not exempt, if you pronounce all the characters of 'Wheathampsted', you're not a local, or of incoming stock. (In the nigh on dead Hertfordshire accent, correct pronunciation is nearer 'Wempstead').

Kent is full of villages where the written word is not used. (Famous one is the FM transmitter at Wrotham - pronouced Rootham - with a near, but not quite, silent 'H').

Quite a few Scottish oddities are caused by the fact the written word was allocated by Monks using Latin rules. 'Milngarvie' near Glasgow any one? (Mil-guy)

As the old joke goes, the p in swimming baths is silent...
..and there's no "f" in broccoli. As the grocer said at 4.00...

Ok, ok, bin it..

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 2 Nov 11 at 20:51
....technically, place names ending in "ham" should have their "h"s pronounced. the "ham" bit comes from the Saxon for "home" or or "village ruled by" Hence, Strensham for example, should be pronounced Stren's-Ham, after the tribal leader or local "King" Stren who would have give his name to the place.

I'm off to watch Frozen Planet now. Back for more fisticuffs later.

:-)
 Florizel Street - R.P.
You'll need Whinter Thyres to watch that !
 Florizel Street - Dog
>>You'll need Whinter Thyres to watch that !<<

Hehe! - my German byrd Margo used to speak propa like, most foreigners do, like I spoke proper Espanol in Tenerife, I'd say beunos dias, but the Canarians would say buena dia etc.. etc..

Margo was always ticking me orf about the way I speaka da inglisch (being un-edumacated, like) when I would say words such as thought I would speaka like fort which (to me) sounds exactly the same :(

Funny ole life, Lauri.
 Florizel Street - Zero
On the merc its pronounced s-k-i-d

None of the letters are silent
 Florizel Street - CGNorwich

technically, place names ending in "ham" should have their "h"s pronounced.

Not in Norfolk.

Wymondam is pronounced Windum

Florizel Street - Meldrew
And the one in Leicestershire is pronounced Wyemondham, to avoid confusion with the other one 70 miles away
 Florizel Street - bathtub tom
>>if you pronounce all the characters of 'Wheathampsted', you're not a local

Let's not forget that place is not a million miles from Luton, where they drop their 'Hs' and 'Ts' (they also make 'a's you put on yer 'ead).

The aspirated H, as in haitch really annoys me. My old English teacher used to drum into us 'there's only one aitch in Aitch'.
 Florizel Street - Zero
theres no aitch in Luon

The t rarely gets dropped, just pronounced in a different manner, know as the glottal stop. Rather than formed using the tongue on the top of the mouth, the syllable is formed in the back of the throat with a kind of air block

Bit like the welsh, who my wife says sounds like a person with touretes and a speech defect combined.
All place names should be pronounced as spelt, completly changing the name by missing letters or mis-pronunciation is just down to either lazy speech or uneducated reading, handed down over the years by little-educated medieveal yokels!

;-)
 Florizel Street - Dog
Ere in Cornwall, they drop everything!

Take Launceston (please!) a propa cornish pasty cruncher would say Lanson,

S'only the up-country mugs (like me) that pronouce it as Lawn-ston.
 Florizel Street - Zero
>> Ere in Cornwall, they drop everything!
>>
>> Take Launceston (please!) a propa cornish pasty cruncher would say Lanson,
>>
>> S'only the up-country mugs (like me) that pronouce it as Lawn-ston.

Which is funny because the locals in Tasmania have never heard of "lawn-ston" instead pronouncing their second city "lawn-Cess-ton"
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 3 Nov 11 at 18:34
 Florizel Street - Bromptonaut
Then there's the London practice of dropping the 'h' but saving it and re-using it elsewhere:

'Somat 'orrible 'as 'appened to our 'Arry - we need hurgent hassistance.
 Florizel Street - Slidingpillar
(quote)All place names should be pronounced as spelt, completly changing the name by missing letters or mis-pronunciation is just down to either lazy speech or uneducated reading, handed down over the years by little-educated medieveal yokels!

Not at all. As I said, at least the Scottish examples were caused by Monks taking the word as spoken and applying Latin rules. There is no evidence the written word was ever pronounced using English rules other than by incommers who'd yet to learn the correct pronunciation.

You have to remember too, that local dialect formed a much bigger part of speech until the population started to travel. As recently as 1600, the dialect of Kent was nigh on unintelligible to the average Londoner. Whether that is the reason for the odd names and pronunciation of village names there I don't know. There is even one where a letter is added! Igtham pronounced Nightam.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Thu 3 Nov 11 at 12:52
 Florizel Street - Dog
We must be connected Slidingpillow (wirelessly) I was thinking about sed Kent village just one hour ago!
 Florizel Street - CGNorwich
Lets get basics basics and reinstate Old English.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaEGU45lKA
Latest Forum Posts