Non-motoring > The New "Face of Sainsburys" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 54

The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Meldrew
David Beckham is the new face of Sainsburys, on a contract reported to be worth £5 million. He must have a hot shot agent! He used to advertise Gillette razor blades and it was 2 years before they noticed he didn't shave! That and Rooney as the Face of Mercedes! Words almost fail me!
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Zero
>> Rooney
>> as the Face of Mercedes! Words almost fail me!

Why, Rooney does have a face like a Mercedes ............ Truck that is.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Roger.
Beckham is a canvas for silly tattoos: he would put me off my breakfast, never mind inducing me to buy from Sainsbury's.
We buy where the goods we want are cheap - mostly ALDI these days - and only venture into the majors for things we can't get at the discounters.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Stuu
Beckham is proof for kids across the land that being an idiot is no barrier to success, gotta hand it to the bloke, infact also to his stick-insect wife too, they both seem to be able to make hay in eternal sunshine.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Focusless
>> Beckham is proof for kids across the land that being an idiot is no barrier
>> to success

Bit harsh FoR - I think at least these days he comes across as a nice chap, polite and at least makes an effort to look presentable even if it's not our cup of tea. There are worse role models surely?
I balanced it out with his ( and his wifes ) clear ability to market themselves to make serious cash.

I dont think kicking a ball about makes one a role model. If he starts polar exploration, cures cancer or fights for our country, then ill rate him as a premier role model.
>> I dont think kicking a ball about makes one a role model.

Are you saying it hasn't, or it shouldn't? Might agree to some extent with the latter, but I think he is one, due to a combination of his talent on the field and the other stuff he's done eg. playing a part in the 2012 Olympics bid. Of course his wife has helped, and yes, I wish she would fatten up a bit :)
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Londoner
>> Bit harsh FoR - I think at least these days he comes across as a
>> nice chap, polite and at least makes an effort to look presentable even if it's
>> not our cup of tea. There are worse role models surely?
>>
+1
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - -
There are worse role models surely?>> +1

+2.

I like the fellow, he's done well for himself and despite the wealth and his wife hasn't changed too much from the likeable lad he was when he started out.

He's blessed with being a good looking chap too which is never a bad thing.

If he is a role model then being a decent polite family fellow isn't such a bad model to portray, if he cocks up now and again who cares, he's not the Pope, he's allowed a mistake or three, makes him human..

Good luck to him, i'd rather our youngsters emulated him that most others, especially politicians.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - CGNorwich
He is far from an idiot. Has an understanding of business and advertising that many would envy.
I don't think so CGN he has a smart and well connected manager/agent on a lucrative % age, witness the Gillette nonsense! I agree that has is better role model than the foul mouthed, short tempered, spitting Shrek but how hard can that be? I have seen some interviews of DB and he is close to inarticulate, "You Know"
I bet he has more money than you Meldrew, you know.

There are lots of more talented footballers out there but very few with the business sense to capitalise on their assets in the way that DB has done. You don't get that rich and more importantly hang on to you money if you are stupid. Sure he employs smart people. That's what smart people do.
He's probably got more money than lots of people. Wealth is no indicator of happiness, intelligence or decency as a human being, quite the reverse in many cases!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 4 Nov 11 at 11:19
It certainly isn't but Beckham does seem to be happily married and cares for his kids as well as doing a lot of charity work. Your main criticism appears to be that he talks like a working class guy from the East End which he is.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Manatee
If you're going to choose a footballer as a role model, there's not much wrong with Beckham's public persona, summed up by CGN.

The type of kids that need a decent role model are hardly going to choose Jeremy Paxman or David Dimblebore are they?
I have no criticism - I am commenting. I think he is a good parent and pleasant enough person He has nothing to offer a supermarket as a role model and he does not speak well, wherever he comes from. A current problem seems to be that there aren't enough fathers around to be role models to their sons.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 4 Nov 11 at 13:07
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Manatee
Fair comment.

I don't regard him as an authority on food, though I suppose he's eaten a few expensive hot dinners.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - -
A current problem seems to be that there aren't enough fathers around to be role models to their sons.
>>

Yes that is fair comment.
>>A current problem seems to be that there aren't enough fathers around to be role models to their sons.<<

Might be if the courts allowed it, but thats a whole other thread.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Armel Coussine
I'm not a footer fan and was first made aware of David Beckham's existence by an Algerian acquaintance who was a fan. Since then of course he has been much before our eyes and has gradually become an establishment figure or something very like it.

The man is good-looking, personable, apparently honourable and can bend it like that Asian girl in the movie. He has an apparently sound marriage with an appropriate wife. I don't know them of course but as celebs go they seem rather a sweet couple.

Sneering at David Beckham because he is very rich despite having an Essex accent and tattoos and because he is smilingly parsimonious with pseud's corner discourse is distasteful in an all-too-familiar way. It stinks of petty-bourgeois envy.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Runfer D'Hills
Erm, all due respect etc chaps. I don't think Sainsburys were particularly wondering whether he'd appeal to a bunch of middle-aged grumpy fellows with car fixations...

Beckham can rot knicker elastic at 50 paces. Whether we like it or not he just can. Go figure, as the cousins say...It'll work.

>> have seen some interviews of DB and he is close to inarticulate, "You Know"

He is far from inarticulate, Just because he does not speak the queens English as you would like, does not mean he is unable to converse and connect with his chosen target.

I am afraid you are too old to be the future. Or present come to that.
It is nothing do with the way he speaks it his apparent inability to convey an idea or concept clearly. I don't think he will feature in a speaking role in a Sainsburys commercial. You needn't be afraid Zero, I'm not!
>> It is nothing do with the way he speaks it his apparent inability to convey
>> an idea or concept clearly.

Only to you it seems.
We shall have to disagree, as always. Would you care to hazard a bet as to when DB will have an un-dubbed speaking role in a Sainsburys commercial?
They cant dub him, because everyone knows what he sounds like. And that's what Sainsbury have bought.
Then they have paid too much!
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Armel Coussine
>> Would you care to hazard a bet as to when DB will have an un-dubbed speaking role in a Sainsburys commercial?

Would it make you happy if they dubbed Brian Sewell's voice onto him, Mellers? Clement Freud would have been OK but unfortunately he's dead.
>> Would it make you happy if they dubbed Brian Sewell's voice onto him, Mellers?

That's a fantastic idea AC - makes me smile just thinking about it.
I wouldn't notice one way or the other - I always mute the commercials. At the moment this is to be sure of not hearing the annoying Scotsman who does the voice-overs for the Co-op
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Mapmaker
There's some very nasty, vindictive posting in here. I don't think it's necessary, reasonable, or very nice.

Beckham stupid? He may not be Einstein, but he's very shrewd.

If it's that easy to make money, then go and do it yourself. (Or keep making your millions by washing cars.)
Mind you, the lad'll have to go some to persuade me that Sainsbury's own brand Sardine and Tomato paste is anywhere near as good as Princes ! Bit thin on the sardine ( and frankly the tomato ) content for my liking. Maybe I'll write to him. I'm sure he'd want to know.

:-)

BTW - be nice people, it's the weekend soon...
>> Mind you, the lad'll have to go some to persuade me that Sainsbury's own brand
>> Sardine and Tomato paste is anywhere near as good as Princes ! Bit thin on
>> the sardine ( and frankly the tomato ) content for my liking. Maybe I'll write
>> to him. I'm sure he'd want to know.

Still got that secret stash of jelly babies in your shed?
No, but I'm thinking of installing a trap door, digging a crate sized pit underneath and filling it with tinnys. Rug over trap door. Sorted. Man shed.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 4 Nov 11 at 15:44
>> No, but I'm thinking of installing a trap door, digging a crate sized pit underneath
>> and filling it with tinnys. Rug over trap door. Sorted. Man shed.

You could try digging escape tunnels? three should do, call them Tom Dick and Harry.

Dont get caught you will end up doing time in the cooler.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> You could try digging escape tunnels? three should do, call them Tom Dick and Harry.
>>
Don't be so crass, Zero.

In deference to those on here wot speak proper the tunnels should be called Thomas, Richard and Harold.

Honestly.
Life has not been the same since they discontinued Shippam's bloater paste.
Quite right CG. On french stick. With real butter. And tea.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Roger.
I prefer Gentleman's Relish to bloater paste!
And a pint of winkles
Now you're talking !
Cockles.

With pickle vinegar
Can't remember which I prefer. The one's without sand in anyway.
Its a bit sad really that a footballer can use their image to sell food, but no less so than Ricardo Hammondo, that well known Landrover driving chef...

Cant really blame the celebs because somehow we attribute these people status above others, but then the only bit of advertising that eventually wore me down recently was the Old Spice ad which just tickled me funny bone.

Cockles are good but winkles teach you manual dexterity with a pin.
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - VxFan
Are all the things he's going to endorse have the number 7 on them?
should have worked for Boots then
I was only pondering the other day. The whole cockle picker debacle is still a key feature on "North West Tonight" or whatever they call the regional news round here again. Not a night goes by without some fascinating new angle on the cockle beds, their boats, the itinerant workers, permits, how fast the tide comes in etc etc.

Anyway, it seems to be a pretty dangerous thing to do and I was moved to wonder where all the cockles go? I mean, I like a cockle but they're not something one feels obliged to always have in are they? Even the fussiest of uninvited guests aren't going to come over all snotty because you don't happen to have a fresh cockle to offer them are they?

I'd not object to a cockle based snack but I really can't remember the last time I was inclined to buy any. Where do they go? I like a seafood Pizza but again, it's maybe only a couple of times a year and even then they only put a cursory amount of cockles on them. Where's the market for all these hard-won cockles?
90% are exported. French Belgians Spanish value them far more highly than we do.

Only time I eat them now is out of some shed at leigh on sea,

Used to have the odd jar now and again.

There a thought, cockle sandwich with hot crusty bread.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I'm off down to the Spar shop right now...
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - Bromptonaut
Can you do anything else with cockles but pickle them a la Leigh on Sea Scarborough or wherever?

I do a mean Moules Mariniere and they're just coming back into the shops.
>> Can you do anything else with cockles but pickle them a la Leigh on Sea
>> Scarborough or wherever?
>>
>> I do a mean Moules Mariniere and they're just coming back into the shops.

Not substantial enough to be a primary ingredient of a main dish, but good as a supplemental part of soups, chowders, fish pies, or served with another whole or fillet fish, in the sauce.

great mixed with salad, served as a snack on bread and butter, or thrown into scrambled egg at the last minute.
>>or thrown into scrambled egg at the last minute

Oh now then, that sounds a bit sexy. Got to be done this weekend now.

:-)
 The New "Face of Sainsburys" - MD
>> Quite right CG. On french stick. With real butter. And tea.
>>
Butter. It's always been real.
Latest Forum Posts