Non-motoring > Another washing machine question? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 46

Another washing machine question? - Bigtee
I need your help please guys and girls.........................

The washing machine rubber door seal on the inside lip where the £1.00 coins usually end up is this black like tar gunge all around this inside seal.

I want rid of this if i can i think it's bacteria?, I know of Calgon tablets but are they for just cleaning the pipes?

Any tips you have for cleaning this tried a dish cloth and a bit comes off but it's very bad, can't be doing my washing much good.
 Another washing machine question? - Zero
Bleach will get this off. rub it in the mould, leave it for a few hours, clean it off

You need to do a hot maintenance wash on it regularly, every two two weeks say. Run it empty on a hot wash (90c) and put white wine vinegar in the soap dispenser to clean the washing machine through.
 Another washing machine question? - Pat
Mine did that the week before last...it conked out altogether last Saturday with grease on the 'clean' washing.

I can recommend an internet firm that does next day delivery though!

Pat
Honestly Pat, how many times have I told you, you cook your black pudding in the oven!
 Another washing machine question? - devonite
>>internet firm that does next day delivery

Love to see him chuck that over the fence!!
 Another washing machine question? - henry k
>> You need to do a hot maintenance wash on it regularly, every two two weeks
>> say. Run it empty on a hot wash (90c) and put white wine vinegar in
>> the soap dispenser to clean the washing machine through.
>>
The web responses certainly recommend white vinegar but how much and how ?
Lots of variations to choose from but this one seems to make most sense ?e

"For bad washing machine smells, try putting half a cup of white vinegar inside an empty machine and put it on a boil wash. Because the first bit of water goes into the sump hose and is sealed off, I recommend that you wait until the washing machine has been filling for about 30 seconds and then pour the vinegar into the soap drawer to let it wash down into the machine. "

Might as well post this here as its only a comment and not worth opening a seperate thread!
In the past a few folk have complained of having a "smelly" dishwasher especially when it hasn`t been used for a day or so. I must admit, we only use ours about twice a week, and it has never smelt! - well yesterday i found out two things:
1. why the dishwasher dont stink,
2. why, (when there are no babies about that i can find) does she regularly have a bottle of Milton stood on the windowsill.

Connection? - when empty she gives the dishwasher a quick squirt before closing it up!!
Result? - no stink! and no babies to hunt for or worry about!
Last edited by: devonite on Sat 24 Dec 11 at 12:53
 Another washing machine question? - DeeW
I was told this was the result of the water board being more ecologically minded ... or saving money .... depending on your view. Not helped by us all doing cool washes. Apparently harmless, but Zero gave the best solution.
 Another washing machine question? - Bigtee
Zero,

Thanks just running a service wash now at 90c with some powder and cleansing crystals.

Later if still there i'll soak it in bleach.
It'll grind to a halt BigTee, next week with the huge after Christmas wash;)

Pat
 Another washing machine question? - CGNorwich
www.washerhelp.co.uk/forums/topic/378-door-seals/

>> Thanks just running a service wash now at 90c with some powder and cleansing crystals.

NO!!!!!! NOT THE POWDER!!!!

Its the bleedin powder that the mould is growing on!!!

A Service wash is no washing, no powder, hot, white wine vinegar only!
 Another washing machine question? - Iffy
Bleach is reckoned to be the best solution for black water mould.

It shouldn't need a soak, just a good rub with some bleach on a damp cloth.

I leave the door on my machine ajar, so the seal tends to dry before mould has a chance to form.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 22 Dec 11 at 18:17
It's grease seeping out of the bearing, but you won't be told, will you?:)

Pat
 Another washing machine question? - Dutchie
Galgon is a rip off to expensive.We leave the door ajar.As said before bleech hot water or spray for mould.
 Another washing machine question? - mikeyb
At what Calgon tablets cost you are better off just putting the money to one side. Think I worked out you would have saved enough to replace the machine in 3 years or so
Another tip is to sprinkle some table salt in with the soap to soften the water.

There will be salt in the soap product anyway, but I put some extra in most times.

Doesn't cost a lot, and may help a bit.

Don't think salt will help. Perhaps you are getting confused with washing soda (sodium carbonate) which I suspect is what Calgon is.

Washing soda does soften the water and costs about £2 a kilo down your local ironmongers or supermarket. We use it in the machine every few washes as Norwich is an extremely hard water area.
 Another washing machine question? - Dutchie
Good tip Norwich water here in Yorkshire also very hard.2 pound a kilo is cheap.
...Don't think salt will help...

Most water softeners use salt.

www.topwatersoftenerreviews.com/28/water-softener-salt/#
 Another washing machine question? - bathtub tom
The salt doesn't soften the water, it re-generates the water softener: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_softeners
Beat me too it BT. Adding salt to you sashing machine will do nothing except possibly hasten corrosion.

www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/interior/1275126
I wonder why salt is an ingredient of cleaning products, such as Fairy Liquid:

www.theecologist.org/green_green_living/behind_the_label/268721/behind_the_label_fairy_liquid.html

It thickens the detergent and gives it a more gel like consistency
I was always told salt "wets" the water! (does something to the molecules and surface tension)
No, it just increases the viscosity. People like their washing up liquid and hair shampoo to be thick as they think its more powerful that way. I've heard it said that the high salt content is one reason why you shouldn't use washing up liquid on your car but no idea if it is true.
 Another washing machine question? - Roger.
Correct!
Many years ago I worked in, a now long defunct, soap factory and one of our minor products was a liquid detergent,
It was made by diluting Teepol (remember that?) with lots of water, adding some colour and citronella perfume and thickening the mixture with common salt.
Selling water at detergent prices still goes on!
Last edited by: Roger on Fri 23 Dec 11 at 18:58
 Another washing machine question? - Old Navy
>> Correct!
>>
>> Selling water at detergent prices still goes on!
>>

Ready mixed screenwash?
www.detergentinfo.com

reveals that out essential waitrose citrus washing up liquid contains

Aqua
Sodium C14-C17 Sec Alkyl Sulfonate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Cocamine Oxide
Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Sodium Chloride
Parfum
Citric Acid
C12 - 14 Pareth - 3
Sodium Sulfate
Dimethylol Glycol
Sodium Hydroxide
Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine
CI 19140
Just love the way they call water aqua.
its posh water.
 Another washing machine question? - Dave_
Most of those ingredients are also in shower gel, shampoo and foam bath.
 Another washing machine question? - R.P.
Same **** different labels...
Most cheap shower gels have a pronounced salty taste - now you all know why!

>> Sodium C14-C17 Sec Alkyl Sulfonate
>> Sodium Laurel Sulfate

>> Sodium Sulfate

With that spelling of sulphate, surely it is made in the USA?
Sulfate is the The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) preferred spelling and likely therefore to be use by scientists in preference to UK spelling.
Another washing machine question!!

Ours has died! been looking around the usual sales for a replacement, but all are now cold-fill only.
We have hot water on demand, so what problems would i cause if i connected the water to the "hot" supply to save electric and shorten the washing time?
Your hot water on demand may be hotter than the cool wash setting of the machine.

Dont fanny around, they are designed for cold fill so fill it with cold.

You can get a blanking plug for that redundant washing machine tap, the hot one.
>> Sulfate is the The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) preferred spelling and
>> likely therefore to be use by scientists in preference to UK spelling.
It's STILL not right!
 Another washing machine question? - Hard Cheese

>>so what problems would i cause if i connected the water to the "hot" supply to save electric >>

Undoubtedly it would implement fault code 1325698713282213 - "the silly asre has connected me wrongly so I am not going to work and my warranty has been invalidated"

;-)

;-) thanks! - Twas "er" idea really, i was just asking it! - told "er" you`d say that but wanted confirmation.

(walks away whistling nonchalantly)
 Another washing machine question? - Dave
Buy a 'Y' piece and connect to the hot and cold taps, then you may get warm fill.
 Another washing machine question? - Old Navy
>> Buy a 'Y' piece and connect to the hot and cold taps, then you may
>> get warm fill.
>>

And backflush and wreck your boiler?
>> Buy a 'Y' piece and connect to the hot and cold taps, then you may
>> get warm fill.

At what temperature? Hotter than the 30c wash? Given that his hot will be about 60c its a lottery.
I have a combi which, of course, runs cold to start with getting progressively hotter.

This might produce warm fill.

My old Candy was hot and cold fill, but the boiler never tripped when the washing machine was in use.

The water appears to fill through the soap tray.

I reckon there must be a valve in the washing machine to prevent it filling at mains pressure, because if it did the water would splash out of the soap tray.

If I'm right about that, a combi wouldn't trip because the flow - as restricted by the valve - is too slow to trip the combi.

It's tempting to test the theory by trying the hot outlet in my cold fill cheapo Beko.

The result of the experiment may be of interest to forum members, but less entertaining for me if it goes wrong.

So I'll not bother.
 Another washing machine question? - -
There is a new machine out from ISE, its the same as the current model but has intelligent hot and cold draw and is designed for people with unlimited hot water supply.

Bag o sand price tag, but 10 years parts and labour warranty.

The cold fill only ISE 10 and its Miele competitor are the two pencilled in when our now very old Bosch finally dies, our combi boiler is some 60 ft from the kitchen so by the time the water gets warm the machine would be full..;)
 Another washing machine question? - Bromptonaut
>> our combi boiler is some 60 ft
>> from the kitchen so by the time the water gets warm the machine would be
>> full..;)

And there is the real point. Only the wash cycle is warm and most machines use a spray/soak system washing in only a few pints of water. In the vast majority of houses the fill is cold whichever supply it comes from.
Latest Forum Posts