Non-motoring > Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 93

Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - WillDeBeest
Up north for a family funeral and staying in a 'serviced apartment' place near Piccadilly. Event itself was lovely - affirmative and reuniting in the way the best funerals can be. Weather's filthy, though, and we couldn't face going out in the gale to find a restaurant.

So we thought we'd use our little kitchen, and what better opportunity for a snoop round the Aldi next door? Two words: magic kingdom. Some intriguing stuff in there, including a Czech beer I've only previously had in Prague, and some great looking cured meats. I'll be looking for more excuses, I think. Wonder if there's one nearer home...
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Old Navy
Don't be too fussy, ALDI or LIDL. They have similar but different ranges of food, (and beer)! Some handy motoring stuff too. A bit of "up north" education eh. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 28 Dec 11 at 20:21
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - madf
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Bromptonaut
Been our main grocer for last six months. Lots of discoveries including the Special Reserve Ballycastle Irish Cream at less than half the price of Baileys. Few things not so good particularly fresh fruit but the sausages and treacle cure bacon are as good as Tesco finest.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Lygonos
LIDL had 3600 bottles of 28yo highland single malt (un-named) for £30 (£25 when purchased with a '£5 off when you spend £30' voucher from the local paper.

It's not too bad a toot - no idea which distillery (presumably a defunct independent but the interweb seems not to know either) - but if they told you that it'd be worth more than £30.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - R.P.
Based on a recent recommendation on here bought a bottle of imitation Baily's from Aldi - 4.99 !! Tasted a little bit like petrol but hey, the MiL thought it was nice enough !
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Zero
Bough Aldi port once. It was truly shocking. I couldn't only shop in Lidl or Aldi, its too limited in range
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - RattleandSmoke
I agree the choice is limited, I tend to pop into Aldi every couple of weeks or so and there are no Lidl's close enough to me to bother with.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Lygonos
Absolutely - but for a few choice items they are much better than many premium supermarkets.

I also highly rate LIDL's 'Primadonna' olive oil in case anyone cares (also apparently backed up by taste-testing a couple of years ago).

I never do a "full shop" in any one store - there's always enough stuff in freezer/fridge/cupboard so I don't have to pay over the odds for low quality offerings.

Does of course mean I'll happily buy 24 tins of something if it is a very good deal.

I've no idea how the gaffer can spend £100-150 filling a modest trolley and it makes me want to punch kittens when stuff she buys ends up mouldy in the bin...
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - CGNorwich
Strange shop Aldi. Very limited range . Has a few items of food that are quite good but lots very cheap and nasty stuff as well. No consistency either. One week they have a product and then it disappears for months. And then there's all that tat that makes the place look like the remains of a a car boot sale. And why no shopping baskets? Most people only go in for a few items so they wander around with the stuff in their arms because they don't want a trolley.
There has been tests which prove if you have a trolley you spend more. So I never use the trolley, I just carry it by hand, if I can't carry it I don't buy it they loose a sale :D.

I am old enough to remember when ADLI didn't use to use barcodes.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - rtj70
>> There has been tests which prove if you have a trolley you spend more. So I never use the trolley

Because there are no baskets and there are no free bags either... I take a 'tote shopping bag' into Aldi with me and load it up as I shop. Then it is used at the checkouts to carry the purchases to the car. Funnily enough everything I buy fits in at the checkout.

I'd do what Rattle does... but try carrying a few bottles of wine and a butternut squash in your hands.

And Rattle, some items still don't have barcodes. Especially veg. The use of the tills is like the old days when I was a child. They don't want you to pack at the till either. It slows them down too much. Very few staff in an ALDI.
Yeah if I am going to buy some beer or something I will take a bag with me. My problem with ALDI I usually don't know I am going there, usually pop in if I am 20 minutes early for a job in Didsbury or something.
>> My problem with ALDI I usually don't know I am going there

I keep the bag in the car :-)
>> >> My problem with ALDI I usually don't know I am going there
>>
>> I keep the bag in the car :-)
>>

As we are into four digit names, we keep a couple of IKEA bags in the car. They will take a weekly shop easily, the bulk stuff is a monthly Costco shop. (OK Costcco isn't four). :-)
No free bags in Wales at all now - banned so you have to carry a bag with you at all times !
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - mikeyb
>> No free bags in Wales at all now - banned so you have to carry
>> a bag with you at all times !
>>
>>

The in laws live in Wales and were most jealous of our carrier bag drawer. MIL took half of them back with her after xmas

I see her point that she doesn't always have a bag handy in the car for stopping and picking up a couple of items, and the "proper" shopping bags are a bit bulky to keep with you all the time, but a couple fo carrier bags fit nicely in the handbag or glove-box.
It makes sense in a basic form, but it's been bureaucracised so much that no-one really understands it - the regulation is on its way to the rest of the UK by the way.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Iffy
...the regulation is on its way to the rest of the UK by the way...

There have been a couple of short-lived schemes in my area in which the local authority has prevailed upon the supermarkets to charge for bags.

The supermarkets are convinced 'free' bags are an attraction, so will only charge if they absolutely have to.

It's the same with £1 deposit trolleys, the supermarkets' marketing research indicates they are a turn-off to some customers.

So they would rather lose a few trolleys each year than install £1 deposit slots.

Again there are local variations, a Sainsbury's near me agreed to provide deposit trolleys as part of planning conditions imposed by the local authority for a store extension.

We pop in every now and then to an ALDI near by (on the way to somewhere). Some things as said are bargains but our main shop is at Tesco. My wife thinks I should get more at the likes of ALDI to save more... I know it's limited and I can't be bothered going to more than one place - it's all time.

But they currently have a Merlot my wife likes and it's only £2.99. It's not too bad to be honest.

I've seen people in there doing what must be the biggest part of their weekly shop. There is some poor products there for sure.
I doubt the savings will be worth bothering with either, if I am quite I will happily shop around and enjoy saving a few pence, but if I am busy life is too short.
Lidl sell a particular type of German Rye bread, that, lightly toasted and their excellent crunchy Peanut Butter is a regular pensioner's lunch around these parts...
>> regular pensioner's lunch around these parts...

Who's that... you're too young to be a pensioner. :-)
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Ted

Both Lidl and Aldi often do a 500ml bottle of bitter for a pound. Usually an 8 pack Shepherd Neame but who's complaining.
SWB likes to cut her white wine with soda so we buy Lidl's Cimarosa whites...cheap and cheerful.

Their Glen Orchy single malt is very acceptable and it's on the label as being made on Clydeside. It was only £9.95 a year or so ago.......gone up a bit now.

Ted
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Clk Sec
I've never set foot in an Aldi or Lidl store. Infact, I've never even seen an Aldi or Lidl store.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Runfer D'Hills
When we have had lean years it was necessary to be shop savvy. Indeed there is nothing to be criticised in the practice but I do find that one of the joys of a ( however temporary in this world ) regular income is not having to agonise too much over the price of tomatoes.

Many here will willingly pay many thousands for a car, or many hundreds for tyres, or stump up for super-duper whizz-bang formula petrols / diesels for example without blinking but seem to feel it appropriate to compromise on their food and drink.

Eh?

:-)
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Dog
Come the revolution, I'd ban the sale of alcohol from all supermarkets.
...I couldn't only shop in Lidl or Aldi, its too limited in range...

I wouldn't by choice, but wouldn't starve if I did - far from it.

>> ...I couldn't only shop in Lidl or Aldi, its too limited in range...
>>
>> I wouldn't by choice, but wouldn't starve if I did - far from it.
>>
>>
We are fortunate to have easy access to most of the major supermarkets along with ALDI, LIDL and Costco, decisions, decisions, for SWMBO anyway. Our IKEA bags seem to work in all of them. :-)
Old Navy
+1
...We are fortunate to have easy access to most of the major supermarkets...

We are all fortunate to live in a land of plenty, although the supply chain operates on a knife edge.

A blip from any source leads to shortages within a day or two.

Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Meldrew
Living in a town which has Asda, Aldi, Lidl ,Morrisons and Sainsburys prices are keen and there is plenty of choice. Aldi is my nearest and then sainsburys. I find Aldi's meat and dairy products excellent and their jams,marmalades and washing and cleaning things are good too. I do most of my shop there and then go on to Sainsburys for other stuff or branded goods that Aldi don't sell.
>> Living in a town which has Asda, Aldi, Lidl ,Morrisons

You only need to add Primark and the pound shop to that and you have Corby.

Thought you lived in Stamford, but they dont have an Aldi or Asda, so it must be Maggie Town.
Drat! I forgot the Poundshop!
We have a Waitrose, a large co-op and a small Budgens. The co-op is heaving as many of my friends perceive (wrongly) that it is far cheaper than Waitrose.

There is a new Lidl being built opposite Waitrose, and a sainsburys going through planning permission now.

I think Co-op will notice a difference when Lidl opens, but a lot of the "traditional" Waitrose customers will not even notice it.

Think I will probably flit between them
Last edited by: mikeyb on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 10:34
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Boxsterboy
>> I think Co-op will notice a difference when Lidl opens, but a lot of the
>> "traditional" Waitrose customers will not even notice it.
>>
>> Think I will probably flit between them
>>

We flit between Lidl and Waitrose. Lidl for the essentials, Waitrose for what Lidl haven't got, and the odd luxury.
Lidl choc Christmas tree ornaments, mmmmmmmmmmm
The one thing I do miss living here in the far flung, uncivilised, frozen, regions of the UK is the lack of fresh food markets.
Good chip shops though !
www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/product_range_18743.htm

is nice if you like sweet white wine.. - which I do.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Dog
But frozen food a'plenty I'll wager ;)
The new Waitrose on the edge of Bracknell town centre seems to have taken a lot of "footfall" from the town centre Sainsburys but it may be people looking rather than buying?
That was definitely the case when a branch opened locally - lot quieter now (shopping Duchesses apart) - Their Leffe is seriously overpriced.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - henry k
>> That was definitely the case when a branch opened locally
>>
This is the way to get a "cheaper " case.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2079503/YouTube-video-shows-thief-steal-CASE-Guinness-hiding-legs.html
>> The new Waitrose on the edge of Bracknell town centre seems to have taken a
>> lot of "footfall" from the town centre Sainsburys but it may be people looking rather
>> than buying?

If you have seen Bracknell town centre you will see why, they don't call it South Corby for nothing.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - CGNorwich
That Indian shop that sells everything and known locally as Bracknell Harrods is my favourite
The day we had the pupster we had bought a box of farm fresh veg from a seller at the roadside - immense difference in price (huge box for a fiver) and taste, especially the huge onions, they also kept fresh much longer than supermarket crap.
LIDL have recently opened a brand new faily large store at Chessington with a car park so I will visit it to get their deluxe Fruit n Nut chocolate.
Prior to that, my local store which is in Kingston is tiny, IIRC no DIY section, expensive town centre parking so usually bypassed.
Generally that wonderful town of Feltham en route to Heathrow usually got my diversion to ALDI & LIDL.
The Leatherhead Lidl is easy to get to with ample parking
>> The Leatherhead Lidl is easy to get to with ample parking
>>
That was my other default but only with a combined trip to the Elmbridge tip and/ or B & Q.

The New Malden B & Q ( Is this the biggest in the country?) is now easier to visit.
I still have my map to navigate around in it :-)

>> The New Malden B & Q ( Is this the biggest in the country?) is
>> now easier to visit.

Hate it! cant cope with the idea of taking an escalator up two floors to a DIY shed.
>> Hate it! cant cope with the idea of taking an escalator up two floors to a DIY shed.
>>
But trade is on the ground floor. Did you not smell the burger van ??
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - PeterS
>> But trade is on the ground floor. Did you not smell the burger van ??
>>

I don't think those with shooting brakes frequent the trade section do they - you need a white van for that ;-)
>>.....cant cope with the idea of taking an escalator up two floors to a DIY shed.
Well the good news is that since they opened the place they have now replaced all four lifts.
A good advert for a super "green" brand new building

I agree it is still a shed. However it is good to be able to poke things without dealing with an "expert"
>> >> The Leatherhead Lidl is easy to get to with ample parking
>> >>
>> That was my other default but only with a combined trip to the Elmbridge tip
>> and/ or B & Q.
>>

Don't you mean Mole Valley?

I do wish out-of-area people wouldn't dump their waste at OUR dump!
>> Don't you mean Mole Valley?
>>
>> I do wish out-of-area people wouldn't dump their waste at OUR dump!
>>
Sorry I did not realise it was YOUR place. I did not notice ypu were at home :-)

I went to the Elmbridge one next to the Randalls Park Crematorium.
The latest news is re OUR tip is
" Please note this site will be |closed for refurbishment from Jan 9 - Aug 2012"
so I guess its off to the Epsom one.
>> so I guess its off to the Epsom one.

I live in Runnymede, I dump in Woking. - You could try the Spelthorne one?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 23:12
>> >> so I guess its off to the Epsom one.
>>
>> I live in Runnymeade, I dump in Woking. - You could try the Spelthorne one?
>>
Epsom one is my side of the town just not been there yet but not too far ( past LIDL).
What is really irritating is that I an frequently within half a mile or even passing by the Kingston tip but they now issue a pass to residents ( only )to keep all otheres at bay.
So much for green policies!!!
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Roger.
>> >> so I guess its off to the Epsom one.
>>
>> I live in Runnymede, I dump in Woking. - You could try the Spelthorne one?
>>

>> I live in Runnymede, I dump in Woking.

I hope you don't dump in public - you'll frighten the horses. (But THEY are allowed to- where's my bucket and shovel? )
>> I went to the Elmbridge one next to the Randalls Park Crematorium.
>>

I know you did. But that's not Elmbridge, it's Mole Valley. What's wrong with the Charlton one for you Elmbridge lot?
>>What's wrong with the Charlton one for you Elmbridge lot?
>>
Too far and the wrong side of the Thames.
Perhaps I should mobilise my protection squad for the next trip ;-)
Excellent shop! Good selection of household items,small hardware and electrical items and hand tools and good prices on most things they sell
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Pat
Not a patch on Focus DIY, I miss them.

Pat
Me too Pat. Although, they weren't actually as good as B&Q and as I've previously mentioned the staff were evil but it was handy in location whereas B&Q is 6 miles away. Long way to go for a tray of seedlings or a bag of 2" nails. OK, I could use the local ironmongers or the builders yard but they close on Sundays. Everyone knows you always run out of stuff on Sundays.
For the last three years of its life, Focus was an array of empty shelves and unobtainable stuff.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Pat
Our local one wasn't, it was always well stocked and the staff were great as well.

Now we have a 15 mile trip either way, to get to a B&Q and the staff in both always seem like they have done us all a favour just turning up for work.

Pat
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Jacks
>> We have a Waitrose, a large co-op and a small Budgens. The co-op is heaving
>> as many of my friends perceive (wrongly) that it is far cheaper than Waitrose.
>>
>> There is a new Lidl being built opposite Waitrose, and a sainsburys going through planning
>> permission now.
>>
>> I think Co-op will notice a difference when Lidl opens, but a lot of the
>> "traditional" Waitrose customers will not even notice it.
>>
>> Think I will probably flit between them
>>

Must be Portishead ???

J
>>
>> Must be Portishead ???
>>
>> J
>>

Spot on!
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Jacks
>> Been our main grocer for last six months. Lots of discoveries including the Special Reserve
>> Ballycastle Irish Cream at less than half the price of Baileys. Few things not so
>> good particularly fresh fruit but the sausages and treacle cure bacon are as good as
>> Tesco finest.
>>
Tesco finest

You arn't setting the bar very though

for decent sausages and bacon find a good butcher!

J
We have!
Their home made, in the shop, sausages are excellent and no more expensive than the supermarket's "premium" brands.
We had a lovely piece of beef and an excellent gammon from our local shop, too.
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - WillDeBeest
for decent sausages and bacon find a good butcher!

Amen to that. Better still, make friends with him - butchers know all sorts of tricks you never knew you needed to know, and the good ones love a chat.

There's an Aldi in Reading. What's more, even in my general antipathy to the town, I know where it is, and it's on my side of the centre. Too far to go just for that, but I could fancy some more of that Staroslav beer, so if I happened to be passing on the way to or from somewhere more important...
My one does good burgers too. And pasties and Steak and Kidney pies

Use em or loose em
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 21:29
 Greetings from Manchester - been to Aldi! - Bromptonaut
>> You arn't setting the bar very though
>>
>> for decent sausages and bacon find a good butcher!
>>
>> J

Absolutely. The starting point is the Farmer's Market in Towcester and the Pork Butcher from Earl Shilton. But from September to December Mrs B was working full time so we couldn't get there.
You lot down there seem to be obsessed with "too far". This is a tiny island and you are talking about one corner of it.
Yeah but yours is the crap corner.
Thats debatable.
Noooo, let them keep thinking that ON...

Nudge nudge ..

Oops, I almost let the little traffic, rare jams, and journeys calculated at a mile a minute around the Venice of the north area cat out of the bag. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 22:14
Venice of the North?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Oh dear oh dear < wipes eyes in mirth >
Athens is another comparison used. There are those who know and those who laugh. :-)
Athens?

LOLOl oh dear please stop, its painfully funny....
It's, um, Athens actually, but hey !

Yeah, the beaches of East Lothian and East Fife are really horrible, the Cairngorms are rubbish really and as for the Trossachs, I can't understand why anyone would bother.

Best you stay down there and enjoy Croydon. Much more scenic...

I'll give Zero one advantage, at least the Croydon trams work, more than can be said of the Edinburgh trams, all the way to Wimbledon too. I lived near the tracks when they were used by real trains.
>> I'll give Zero one advantage, at least the Croydon trams work,

Oh dont, you'll have rattle on moaning about the fact that it was at the expense of Manchesters ones.
When you can see the damn things, its rained horizontally for two thirds of the year. As for the Cairngorms, did they find the last lot of Skiers that got blown off in the gales?

Scotland is a great place, if it was 600 miles south warmer and dryer. leave the locals behind tho, dont want all those Rab C's down here, they would drink Buckfast dry...
Lack of local knowledge Z, Rab C and rain are West coast, (Glasgow).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 22:33
Will you shush ON, please !

No, Z it's all rubbish, nothing to see or do. Best stay away.
>> Lack of local knowledge Z, Rab C and rain are West coast, (Glasgow).

I know I have been to both sides. If I recall you are on the wrong side ON?
:-P
Nothing wrong with Scotland that ethnic cleansing will not cure...:-)

After the Scots have been repatriated to Rockall , it'll make good hunting, shooting and fishing countryside..
>> Nothing wrong with Scotland that ethnic cleansing will not cure...:-)
>>
>> After the Scots have been repatriated to Rockall , it'll make good hunting, shooting and
>> fishing countryside..
>> :-)
>>

There is still huge resentment in some areas from the last time that was done by the English. Thats where the independence extremists come from. Unfortunately they can't see the full implications of independence.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 16:05
Alas we wont get to enjoy the benefits either.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 30 Dec 11 at 16:09
Latest Forum Posts