Non-motoring > Bargains Thread - Volume 7   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 100

Bargains Thread - Volume 7 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 8 *****

Post links in here of any offers/bargains that you come across. Need not be motoring but motoring related is of course welcome.

Previous volumes are below
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 13 Aug 12 at 11:23

BP - Mars bars for 10p - Focusless
If you've recovered from the Christmas excesses:
offers.bp.co.uk/Offers/80

Very good value Books - Meldrew
I recommend the Book People.co.uk. They are very strong on children's books, for those of us with teenagers or grandchildren. Best to check their website and see for yourselves!

Weeding paths - madf
Lots of paths to be weeded?

Discounted Pathclear...
www.amazon.co.uk/Pathclear-Weedkiller-Preventer-Granular-Concentrate/dp/B004DI77V0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325157141&sr=8-1

Best offer I have seen on PathClear...
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 11:29

Weeding paths - Clk Sec
I see that there is a gift-wrap option. Too late, madf, Christmas has gone...

Weeding paths - madf
Curses, foiled again...:-)

Weeding paths - Clk Sec
I might give it a whirl at that price. I used Jeyes Fluid last year after my stock of sodium chlorate ran out, but it didn't work all that well for me.

Weeding paths - BobbyG
I tried Jeyes fluid on a concrete base to remove algae etc, it didn't work but the smell lingered for ages. Honkin' !

Weeding paths - madf
Jeyes fluid kills moss.. and grass and weeds and worms.. and...

Weeding paths - Dog
>>Jeyes fluid kills moss.. and grass and weeds and worms.. and...<<

...and stinks!

Cheap Weekend Car Hire - Enterprise Rentacar - Meldrew
Friday 1200 to Monday 1200, at selected UK locations, from £14.95 a day for a KA and going up about £2 a day per rental group. All inclusive and home delivery and collection possible. Not sure if all inclusive means no insurance XS or still liable for first £x.

Karrimor waterproof boots £20 - Focusless
Sports Direct always have Karrimor stuff at reduced prices, but these seem like a better than usual deal:
www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-mid-mens-walking-boots-189055

They also do a more shoe-like version for £18:
www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-low-mens-walking-shoes-189053

Travel Zoo - Meldrew
I may have mentioned this firm before. If so apologies. I get a weekly email from them with their best 20 offers. I was looking for a week away in the Autumn. They offered me 7 nights for 2 guests in a well reviewed 5* hotel in Corfu, sea view, half board, sensibly timed flights, 20kg of luggage and transfers. £318 each. T Cook want £528 each for the same hotel and B&B ,only 15kg luggage and stupid o'clock flights. I am booked thru T ZOO!

www.travelzoo.co.uk

W H Smith - Clk Sec
Buy any greetings card and get a £15 gift voucher for a tenner.

Even more ice grippers... - Clk Sec
tinyurl.com/6n78n6j

Link to Amazon company.

Even more ice grippers... - bathtub tom
You could store them with the Winter tyres.

Even more ice grippers... - Clk Sec
>> You could store them with the Winter tyres.

Perish the thought!

LIDL beer offer - Ted
Lidl have 2 beers on this week at a quid a bottle. Probably Shepheard Neame, haven't read the label yet but I had a pint of the Amber last night watching Man City tonk Porto. It was very nice. You have to buy 8 so I bought 16.

They've got Spitfire, Bishop's Finger and that stuff Martin sups...£1.25 for 500ml.( 4 for a fiver )

Why do I only ever post about beer here ?

Ted
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Feb 12 at 00:33

LIDL beer offer - rtj70
>> last night watching Man City tonk Porto

Tonk? Weren't city down 1-0 and then equalised (relying on an own goal) and then got a winner later (84th minute Aguero goal). So what does tonk mean? Scrape a win :-)

Sorry Ted. Only joking about. It would be a conspiracy if all that Arab money didn't win something.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Feb 12 at 00:33

Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - PC game - smokie
I expect few here are into PC games, and it probably needs a fairly meaty machine to run, but seeing as it's a racing game I thought it appropriate to post here.

You can get the above game for £4 this weekend only through this link (which says £5, then use code OA2DT76N at checkout.

store.origin.com/store/eaemea/en_GB/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.224563400

I've downloaded, it'd be rude not to at that price. I've also discovered how carp I am at either driving or computer games (or both?)!!

Crucial PC Memory (RAM) - DDR3 1333Mhz 4Gb £9.89 - smokie
www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_11&products_id=111773
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 20 Feb 12 at 23:34

Crucial PC Memory (RAM) - DDR3 1333Mhz 4Gb £9.89 - Focusless
I wonder if they ever actually had any? It was out of stock the first time I clicked on the link, fairly soon after it was posted I think, and now it's no longer available. It did seem like an amazing deal. Cheapest 4GB part is now £14.

Crucial PC Memory (RAM) - DDR3 1333Mhz 4Gb £9.89 - rtj70
With the general cost of living... does £4.11 extra for 4Gb RAM make such a difference?

Crucial PC Memory (RAM) - DDR3 1333Mhz 4Gb £9.89 - Focusless
Eh? That's what made it a 'bargain'.

Kettering Tesco - budget bicycles - Dave_
Kettering Tesco have all their budget bicycles on sale at half price:

Suspension mountain bikes £50
Mens/ladies rigid mountain bikes £40
20" BMX bikes £32

Even with those bikes' rough quality you can't knock those prices.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 10 Mar 12 at 00:16

Kettering Tesco - budget bicycles - RattleandSmoke
You cannot get a suspension bike for £50, considering a basic suspension arm costs at least £100.

I paid nearly £200 for my bike and that is a pile of crap, the bottom bracket failed after 200 miles. Although its been fine since.

My concern is that these bikes are assembled by people that don't know what they are doing and then let their kids ride on death traps on the public road.

Kettering Tesco - budget bicycles - Dave_
I had one of the rigid frame ones four years ago when they were £80. I know what I'm doing and I assembled and fine-tuned it so it worked perfectly. I rode it a couple of thousand miles and only sold it when I was raising cash, made a profit too.
At 40 quid a pop someone could double their money for a day spent assembling a few of the things and flogging them at a carboot sale.

Tesco Mastercard - Clubcard points on fuel - VxFan
Apologies if you already knew this. I didn't until pointed out to me in the kiosk the other day.

I already knew that my Tesco Mastercard Credit Card was also a clubcard, but I didn't know that using it as a clubcard meant that you get one clubcard point for every £1 of fuel purchased.

Up until now I always handed over my normal clubcard as well as my Credit Card which meant that I only got one clubcard point for every £2 of fuel purchased.

In short -
Tesco clubcard = £2 of fuel = 1 point.
Tesco Mastercard clubcard = £1 of fuel = 1 point (5 points for every £4 of fuel purchased)

In other words you get double the amount of points using the Credit Card.

www.tescobank.com/personal/finance/creditcards/index.html#tesco-petrol

Every little helps, as they say.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 15 Mar 12 at 13:07

Oyster Bay Sav Blanc - legacylad
Oyster Bay Sav Blanc.
£6.65 today in Sainsburys. Not as good as Aldi's £5 promo several months ago but those supplies (several cases) are long gone.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Mar 12 at 00:32
 Oyster Bay Sav Blanc - Clk Sec
Thanks. I'll check that out later today.

At least at the higher price there may still be some left.

Oyster Bay Sav Blanc - Clk Sec
Just bought two bottles. Thanks again, LL.

Lidl digital calipers etc - henry k
lidl.co.uk/
digital calipers £8.99
Right angle drill attachment. £4.99

Sea Bass £2.99. I emptied their stock @ Chessington :-)

Aldi All Weather Tape - henry k
48 mm x 25m Transparent, strong and extremely UV stable.

Excellent stuff. Been looking for it for a long time.
Does not dry out like some gaffer type tape.

Portable Power Pump Pressure Washer - Clk Sec
tinyurl.com/cno5m7t

Binoculars - Iffy
Cheap and cheerful 10X50 binoculars.

Seem to recall from our last binocs thread, 10X50 was about right for general use.

Only £17 from Lidl (again):

www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_30174.htm

Binoculars - Focusless
>> Only £17 from Lidl (again):

(from Monday)

Binoculars - Bromptonaut
>> Cheap and cheerful 10X50 binoculars.

I have a pair of thirty year old 10x50 Greenkats; sit by the back door as grabkit for when interesting aircraft pass by. Been dropped a few times and suffer some double image - the Lidls might be a replacement at a cost Mrs B won't quibble over!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 7 Apr 12 at 13:08

Tesco Sat Nav deal. - mikeyb
Just ordered myself a new sat nav. Got a TomTom XXL Western Europe classic from Tesco direct.

Currently on offer for £89 which I thought was a good deal for a 5" TomTom with European mapping, but they have an offer that if you spend more than £75 you can use a voucher code at checkout for an extra £10 off. Voucher says not valid on technology, but it worked fine at the checkout

It wasn't my first choice of nav, but at £79 with European mapping I thought this was a bargain

Also went via quidco so may get 3% cashback plus 79 clubcard points!

tinyurl.com/c43ohcz
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 4 Apr 12 at 18:08

Tesco Sat Nav deal. - Zero
Yes thats the one I got to replace the one that walked. Thats a good deal I paid 109 for mine.

Its got the old nav core so its one of the goo duns

Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 4 Apr 12 at 18:09

Tesco Sat Nav deal. - mikeyb
Thanks Zero - Good to know.

Took a bit of a flyer without doing any research as it looked a good deal. Off to France for a 24 hour visit on Wednesday so will give it a good test then
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 4 Apr 12 at 18:09

TomTom XXL UK, ROI & WE. - Clk Sec
Also available from Halfords at £89.99 until Monday.

tinyurl.com/bsap2sz

TomTom XXL UK, ROI & WE. - Clk Sec
And it looks like you get a £10 voucher for spending over £50 as well.

Michelin snow chains - £15 - Dulwich Estate
www.tesco.com/direct/michelin-easy-grip-snow-chains-l13/213-3806.prd

13 inch wheel only it seems. Reduced from around £90
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Sat 7 Apr 12 at 13:13

Michelin snow chains - £15 - bathtub tom
>>13 inch wheel only it seems

That's not the way I read it: The L13 snow chains are designed to fit tyre sizes ranging from 14" - 195/70 to 15" - 195/65, 195/70, 205/60, 175/80, and 16" - 205/55 and 195/60.

Michelin snow chains - £15 - bathtub tom
And not available.

Missed the edit.

Won't help the diet - Focusless
This week's BP offer - 95.4g Snickers Duo for 20p (participating stores only).

About 600 (k)calories?
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 11 Apr 12 at 15:37

Beer offer - legacylad
Booths supermarkets have several 500ml beers (again) on offer @ 4/£5.
My personal favourite is Badgers 'Golden Champion' which goes especially well with my local butchers venison sossidges & mango chutney.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 11 Apr 12 at 17:00

Opie engine oils offers - -
www.opieoils.co.uk/p-984-fuchs-titan-supersyn-5w-40-high-performance-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

SSD drive and USB memory - smokie
Both of these seem cheap enough:

16Gb Sandisk USB stick £7.49 delivered www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-Flash-Drive/dp/B002U1ZBG0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334959520&sr=8-4

Corsair 120GB Force Series 3 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" SSD Solid State £96.96 delivered - www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221004523001&clk_rvr_id=334403377585#ht_2491wt_1396

Sainsbury's Wine Offer - Clk Sec
Buy 6 and save 25% on selected wines:

tinyurl.com/d5vohfh (Option 4)

10 x Duracell Procell AA £1.99 delivered - Focusless
From ebuyer:
www.ebuyer.com/366605-duracell-procell-aa-10pk-promo-procellpromoaa

10 x Duracell Procell AA £1.99 delivered - L'escargot
I couldn't find Procell on the Duracell website.

Datasheets here:
www.duracell.com/en-US/Global-Technical-Content-Library/Product-Data-Sheets.jspx

10 x Duracell Procell AA £1.99 delivered - VxFan
We use Procell batteries at work. You would think they would be as good, (if not better) than normal Duracells. They're not. For starters quite often they don't last as long as normal Duracells. we've also had problems where the +ve terminal of the battery is discoloured and makes a poor connection in the battery box.

>> We use Procell batteries at work. You would think they would be as good, (if
>> not better) than normal Duracells.

I didn't, but thought at that price thought they might be worth a punt. No longer in stock anyway.

>> ....but thought at that price thought...

Too much thinking :)

10 x Duracell Procell AA £1.99 delivered - Iffy
...Too much thinking :)...

Same as your telly thread, get those Samsungs bought and start enjoying them.

HD tv will be good, but your Blu-ray discs will be absolutely top potato.

Grouse Offer at Sainsbury's - Clk Sec
I think there's one or two on here who enjoy a drop of Grouse. Well, it's available now at Sainsbury's at £16 for the litre size.

At least it was at my local store this morning.

Grouse Offer at Sainsbury's - Runfer D'Hills
Funnily enough I need to swing by Sainsbury's later...

Grouse Offer at Sainsbury's - legacylad
Also at Sainsburys until nxt tues, or Weds, 25% off 6 bottles of wine or more. Offer includes already discounted wines.
Stocked up on 6 bottles each assorted NZ Sav Blancs..villa Maria, Oyster Bay & Stich Estate.
Keep us going till Tuesday.

Grouse Offer at Sainsbury's - bathtub tom
Just collected six cases for daughter's weeding (spelling deliberate - see the weed she's wedding).

;>)

Grouse Offer at Sainsbury's - R.P.
Oh dear BT !

Grouse Offer at Sainsbury's - Runfer D'Hills
Here you go BT...Might help a bit with your preparation...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N1sjdLQIj8

Grouse Offer at Sainsbury's - bathtub tom
Thanks Humph, but a little too near the truth!

100w clear BC light bulbs - henry k
At the 99P chain of shops. Packs of 2 "heavy duty" clear BC light bulbs

100w clear BC light bulbs - bathtub tom
I love asking 'how much is that' in them. ;>)

Cash/cards abroad - Meldrew
There are three credit cards which can be used abroad without fees or commission charges. Halifax Clarity, Post Office and Santander Zero. I went to Holland last week and passed a Travelex cash machine at Folkestone Tunnel terminal which was selling euros @1.07. In Holland I drew cash from an ATM and got 1.22. Again one has to use the right card, Barclays charge 2.99% fee for cash withdrawals on a debit card. Nationwide have stopped their fee free policy so one has to shop around for the right account and card! As ever, Martyn Lewis has the info on his website.

Cash/cards abroad - lancara
You can also use the Santander normal debit card in Spain at their ATMs and get commission free euros at the interbank rate - just make sure you don't opt to have the transaction in Sterling or you'll be subject to DCE (dynamic currency exchange) surcharge

Cash/cards abroad - Dulwich Estate
I have an account at Metro Bank - branches limited to London and the Home Counties at present.

Actually opened the account in branch on a Bank Holiday - no joke. 25 minutes later I walked out with a debit card which is free of commission at ATMs all over the world. You get the pukka exchange rate. So far, we have used it to great effect in Czech Rep, France, NZ and Hong Kong.

I'm a very satisfied customer.

Cash/cards abroad - John H
>> Actually opened the account in branch on a Bank Holiday - no joke. 25 minutes later I walked out with a debit card >>

How do they make their processing of ID checks etc so short? What did they require from you?

Cash/cards abroad - Dulwich Estate
We took in driving licences, passports, a council tax bill and a couple of utility bills. They didn't need them all though. The chap just typed away at a key board and said the computer will say "Yes" or "No" in about 45 seconds. In our case it was "Yes" x 2 for a joint account.

They also print and emboss the debit cards on site.

The branches also have a coin machine for your loose change (UK money only) and you get a voucher which you exchange for notes at the desk or can get the money credited to your account. They don't charge commission either - none of this 7.5% charge that supermarket machines make.

Cash/cards abroad - Focusless
Open Sundays as well - I wonder if others will follow?

Cash/cards abroad - John H
Just checked on their website.

They are happy with just a photo ID on its own, provided their electronic check (presumably with a credit ref agency) shows up your current address on the electoral roll.

As Focus says, "open 7 days a week, 361 days a year. We are only closed on New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day."

BP any car wash 50p - Focusless
offers.bp.co.uk/Offers/178
participating stores only

BP any car wash 50p - Meldrew
Also at BP 5p a litre off fuel if you buy 2 cans of Red Bull. Is that a saving? Probably not unless you have a very big empty fuel tank and appreciate the taste of fizzy bubblegum!

Gimme beer - Ted

Bitter at Lidl tomorrow at £1 a bottle if you get 8. Might slip down there and top up me beer shed with another 16.

They've also got bungee luggage spiders at just over a quid or so. I always take them out of the centre ring and just use then as straight ones.....handy for lots of thing around the garage and caravan/awning.

Gimme beer - Runfer D'Hills
I hook a long bungee on to the back of my belt and round the seatpost of my mountan bike when offroad. That way on the odd occasions we part company I don't have to chase the ruddy thing down a muddy gulley. Unseemly after a certain age that sort of thing.

Gimme beer - bathtub tom
>>on the odd occasions we part company I don't have to chase the ruddy thing down a muddy gulley.

Doesn't that risk you chasing the thing in a most undignified manner?

Relevant mass not taken into account. ;>)

Very cheap book on Kindle. - R.P.
www.amazon.co.uk/Churchills-Wizards-Deception-1914-1945-ebook/dp/B002RI90B8/ref=kdd_page_button?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1ABTW82VBC9E9NKCR246&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=293291887&pf_rd_i=1000577623
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 10 May 12 at 14:33

Very cheap book on Kindle. - Ted
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Churchills-Wizards-Deception-1914-1945-ebook/dp/B002RI90B8/ref=kdd_page_button?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1ABTW82VBC9E9NKCR246&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=293291887&pf_rd_i=1000577623
>>

Rob, I read a book some years ago about ( or by ) Jasper Maskelyne. Titled ' The War Magician '. He was the guy who made all the little tanks and lorries in the desert to fool the Boche spotter planes. He also ' hid ' Alexandria and made the German bomber crews think they were bombing the place when they were actually bombing the desert !

Anther coup was to create a look-alike battleship out of some old vessel which was then towed around the Med and left in various Allied ports.

A good read if you can find a copy...mine went years ago.

Ted

Very cheap book on Kindle. - Duncan
>> Rob, I read a book some years ago about ( or by ) Jasper Maskelyne.
>> Titled ' The War Magician '.
>>
>> A good read if you can find a copy...mine went years ago.
>>
>> Ted
>>

Link to Amazon

tinyurl.com/879nsnk

Bacon - £2 per kilo! - Roger.
Sainsury's have unsmoked bacon at two quid a kilo!
Well - sort of.
In the freezer section we have found Sainsbury's Basics unsmoked bacon pieces, for cooking (what else do you do with it?).
A kilo pack, in four individual packets, for £2.
Obviously it is designed for quiches and the like, but if you don't mind your breakfast bacon "pre-chewed", I can confirm it fries well and is perfectly acceptable and a bargain at the price.
OK, dry-cure it is not, but hey - two quid a kilo: absolute bargain.

Harris paint brushes - -
In Asda, seems to be normal price but who knows.

Harris blue no loss piant brushes, full set from 2" down to about 1/2", 10 in total i think, £5.
Also had Harris 4" no loss brushes @ £3 each.

Triumph clothing. - R.P.
www.triumphoutletstore.com/

Some proper bargains in here - I got a leather jacket for less than half price. OK it's more Freddie Mercury than Freddy Spencer but hey ho !

Triumph clothing. - Zero
I was Thinking Will I Am.

Can we call you Pug I Is?

Triumph clothing. - sherlock47
Zero - Obviously a man of eclectic tastes. I had you down as more of a Eurovision viewer:)

Triumph clothing. - R.P.
In fact more like pug.I.was

RP

Cheap spanners. - R.P.
www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_24458.htm

Ideal for human powered or motorised bike.

40% off car mats - VxFan
www.valuecarmats.com/

Use the discount code iwantadeal at the checkout.

No idea how long it's on for.

40% off car mats - Dog
They only list the Lancer Evo unfortunately, or I would have ad sum.

40% off car mats - Zero
>> They only list the Lancer Evo unfortunately, or I would have ad sum.
They fit, the floor pan is identical on any pre 2008 Evo

40% off car mats - Dog
That's what I would have thought, cheers!

40% off car mats - Mapmaker
What is the point of car mats?

40% off car mats - Focusless
Can help sell your car if there's pristine carpet in the footwell instead of a couple of holes dug by your wife's stilettos :)

40% off car mats - Dog
>>if there's pristine carpet in the footwell instead of a couple of holes dug by your wife's stilettos<<

Or the headlining in Bad Dave's case!

:}

40% off car mats - Dog
>>What is the point of car mats?<<

Well, in my case - to stop the original car pets wearing and becoming grubby (too late Ethel!)

So, all I really need is Cannon (type) rubber mats, I sup pose.

40% off car mats - Manatee
>> What is the point of car mats?
>>

For a start...oh, never mind.

40% off car mats - Manatee
Mitsubishi 'classic grade' mat sets are dirt cheap as manufacturer accessories go at about £20 and are on offer for the current model at £15 for four. They aren't quite Wilton, but then neither is the carpet underneath! I have a set in the Outlander. You order on the website and collect from the Mitsubishi dealer.

www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/accessories/items.aspx?type=71&group=24

I can't see any links for pre-2008 but there is a 'contact' link, try an email if yours is older. I have found the concessionaire to be helpful.

40% off car mats - Dog
Thanks for that Manatee - I'll check them out.

40% off car mats - Zero
you won't find any for pre 2008 Lancers in any Mitsi dealer. Not orderable either.

But there is no need, as the interior and floor pan is the same as Evos from 1999 - 2008, ebay is awash with stuff like that.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 31 May 12 at 14:47

40% off car mats - Dog
Okey dokey.

Latest Forum Posts